Recent Topics

1 Aug 23, 2006 07:57    

The last time I updated was to Dawn, as far as I can remember (and as far as I'm told by my b2evo panel).

Is it within reason to go to Milestone? or do I have to hopscotch through Sparkle and Phoenix to get there?

I didn't see a specific wiki for an update of this wingspan.

2 Aug 23, 2006 08:27

It will be fine I think, since the upgrading from 1.8.0 to 1.8.1 didn't do anything at all - which I am assuming is more on the codes itself than the db.

I upgraded from 0.9.1 to 1.8.0 fine, so it should be if you jump to 1.8.1.

BUT it won't hurt if you keep a backup of your production 0.9.1 files and database ;) That way, in case something goes wrong, you have something to look back into to compare or worst-case-scenario, to restore.

3 Aug 23, 2006 08:34

Yeah. I suspect my skin probably won't work very well if at all in 1.8.1

One thing I noticed already is that the parameters that used to be in conf/_config.php are now in conf/_basic_config.php

That sound right?

4 Aug 23, 2006 20:17

I'm pretty simpleminded when it comes to this, so forgive me the simple questions, but ...

I have on my desktop now the 1.8.1 folder as well as a folder of my previous public_html 0.9.1 files.

I've already plugged in my parameters in conf/_basic_config.php and flipped this to 1:

/**
* Once you have edited this file to your settings, set the following to 1 (one):
*/
$config_is_done = 1;

Can someone refresh my memory of what else I have to do before overwriting all my old install files? I feel like I'm forgetting something and I probably am. To say nothing of the fact that I notice folders I hadn't seen before ("cron"?).

Any help appreciated.

5 Aug 23, 2006 23:57

Backup your database. Backup your files. ESPECIALLY your media folder! Then delete - not overwrite - all the b2evolution folder from your server. Technically speaking you don't need to delete your media folder, but everything else should go. Over-writing will leave a bunch of useless junk behind, and under some circumstances can break your new blog. Now upload and run the installer again to upgrade your database. After that upload your old media folder if you deleted it. Finally, delete your new install folder.

6 Aug 24, 2006 00:24

What you also can do - if there is anough room on the server - is make a complete new install of the 1.8.1 files and run that beast with a backup of your database.
It will tke a little time to get it completely like you want it to be, so at least your old stuff will be ok.
Once you get it all ok, you change the name of the old place to 'old' and the new place to the actualy using one.
Or at that point you can delete your old files and install at the same place your new files.
Make another backup of the database and upgrade...
(and offcourse : don't delete your media files)
(thats the way I did it)

7 Aug 24, 2006 03:29

EdB wrote:

Backup your database. Backup your files. ESPECIALLY your media folder! Then delete - not overwrite - all the b2evolution folder from your server. Technically speaking you don't need to delete your media folder, but everything else should go. Over-writing will leave a bunch of useless junk behind, and under some circumstances can break your new blog.

This will undoubtedly mean redoing the template, obv. Which is all fine since I haven't done a whole lot to modify whichever template it was I worked off of.

Now upload and run the installer again to upgrade your database. After that upload your old media folder if you deleted it. Finally, delete your new install folder.

I don't remember doing this last time. But when I get there (which I probably won't tonight) I'll come back to this.

Thanks.

8 Aug 26, 2006 19:56

Now upload and run the installer again to upgrade your database. After that upload your old media folder if you deleted it. Finally, delete your new install folder.

Alright, all the old b2evo files have been deleted and all the new 1.8.1 files have been put in their place. Now I need some help on this step. Where can I find the installer to upload/run?

For whatever reason, I am getting this:

Your baseurl (http://cansesclasseled.com) set in _basic_config.php seems invalid. You probably missed the "http://" prefix or the trailing slash. Please correct that.

When I try to access the page. I already checked the _basic_config.php pages and this is not the case. It's got both the prefix and the trailing slash.

9 Aug 26, 2006 19:59

root/install/index.php - Make sure your /root/conf/basic_config.php file is writable

10 Aug 26, 2006 20:07

mrdav wrote:

root/install/index.php - Make sure your /root/conf/basic_config.php file is writable

Not Found

The requested URL /blogs/install/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at cansesclasseled.com Port 80

How do I make sure my basic_config.php file is writable?

11 Aug 26, 2006 20:12

Ah, never mind. I see what happened. The change to my baseurl didn't overwrite, so I had to delete the file and upload the revised one. Now it appears to be working. (Ugh. I have to rebuild the skin from scratch, though.)

Thanks for the help all.

Form is loading...