Recent Topics

1 Sep 19, 2006 21:36    

I don't know if this has been suggested or asked but I searched the forum looking for a way to put an image as blog header instead of text with no results. I found that using an HTML img tag as the blog tagline and removing the code that prints the blog title in the header from the _main.php template works wonders and won't affect other parts of the blog. The tagline seems to appear only in the header and nowhere else.

2 Sep 20, 2006 01:06

I like your avatar graphic ... it made me laugh. :))

Experimentation often leads to good results! Glad you got what you wanted.

Do you have a link with your final result?

I agree that it would be nice to easily insert your own header image, but frankly, with so many skins and layout options, such a beast would be difficult to provide for. It's probably best handled on a case-by-case basis.

Perhaps you've found a good alternative though?! :D

Eager to see your results.

3 Sep 20, 2006 01:46

hehe I found it somewhere and have used it in a few forums. :lol:

My blogs are still not live and password protected but I don't mind giving the password here. The layout is pretty much the same as the default custom skin with the sidebar rearranged. Styles are still not finished. The final page will be in a framed environment with a fixed menu bar on the left side, so the final layout will be a bit narrower than what you will see. You can see it in http://parroquia.juanadiaz.org/cr The username is blogdemo and the password is demo. It will be part of anexisting web site for a church and it's in Spanish. You will only see one blog but there are actually two of them that will be accesible from the left side menu bar. You won't see that menu here.

[Edit] If you are curious about the other blog, it is http://parroquia.juanadiaz.org/cr/reflexiones which actually has more (test) contents and is a better example.

4 Sep 20, 2006 02:27

Nice changes to the custom template. ;)

The 2nd link didn't lead anywhere that showed posts for me, but the first was representative.

I wanted (primarily) to see your graphic and see that it's a transparent GIF.

Cool.

6 Sep 20, 2006 17:29

A little bit more changes are coming. I changed the layout from pure CSS to a table for the main parts of the screen because I had trouble filling the entire height of the sidebar with the background color if the posts length exceed the sidebar height. Now the sidebar appears below and not next to the posts in Firefox and Opera but looks as expected in Internet Explorer.

Any advise on making the sidebar background extend all the way to the bottom of the screen using just CSS and HTML divs?

Or any advise on making the sidebar appear in the right place under FF and Opera using a table?

7 Sep 20, 2006 17:40

Luis,

Boo and Hiss on tables for layout. :p

Bleck! Groan. Moan.

I'd change it back to a table-less design. I don't remember what you had before?

I think that the simple solution would be to add a background image (1px high, the width and color of your sidebar, slammed to the right of the bPosts DIV and repeated in the Y direction) ... then it would APPEAR that the sidebar went on forever. ;)

Just my 2c, but you would have to put the thing back to the way it was and I'd have to have a play with it, to get it just so.

Hope this helps.

8 Sep 20, 2006 18:59

:lol:

I saved the existing template before going with tables, so restoring it is easy. The layout was exactly the same you see now if using Internet Explorer. Didn't think about using a background image. Thanks for the tip. I am looking into adding a drop shadow to the sidebar to make it stand out a bit but a background image wouldn't work in this case. Suggestions?

9 Sep 20, 2006 19:22

Depending on how you add your drop shadow, a background image may still work.

10 Sep 21, 2006 16:56

Well, I returned to CSS and added the shadow to the sidebar. After adding the shadow it doesn't look that bad if the sidebar is shorter than the posts. What do you think? Check this one http://parroquia.juanadiaz.org/cr/index.php/reflexiones which has posts longer than the sidebar. Same password as before.

The shadow resizes pretty well and shows properly in Firefox and Opera.

11 Sep 21, 2006 20:59

After some browsing through the forums here I now think this topic should go in the Templates, skins.... whatever forum and not here. Moderator please?

Form is loading...