Recent Topics

1 Nov 21, 2006 00:34    

Is that possible?

Can I create accounts and have it so only when you're logged in you can even view the blog?

Edit:
I was thinking about creating my own "check to see if user is logged in" deal. But how would I do that?

One more quick question. After a non admin user makes a new post, how can I make the page redirect him or her back to the actual blog?

2 Nov 24, 2006 20:30

I wrote a plugin called Private Blogs (http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=8843) that does this. Note that it was never fully tested, and it was written for 1.8 SUmmer Beta. I haven't tested it with 1.85 yet. It adds a bit of overhead to the page reads, but it works otherwise. Let me know your thoughts if you end up using it.

Of course, you could always just keep all posts as Protected, thus hiding them from non-members. The blog itself wouldn't be private, but all of the posts would be.

You could also go the "security by obscurity" route and uncheck the "Include in public blog list" option in the blog settings. It will at least be hidden from users who don't know it's there.

4 Nov 28, 2006 00:20

xangelusx wrote:

I wrote a plugin called Private Blogs (http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=8843) that does this. Note that it was never fully tested, and it was written for 1.8 SUmmer Beta. I haven't tested it with 1.85 yet. It adds a bit of overhead to the page reads, but it works otherwise. Let me know your thoughts if you end up using it.

Of course, you could always just keep all posts as Protected, thus hiding them from non-members. The blog itself wouldn't be private, but all of the posts would be.

You could also go the "security by obscurity" route and uncheck the "Include in public blog list" option in the blog settings. It will at least be hidden from users who don't know it's there.

Aha! Great idea. I'll see how the posts are private deal works out. Basically we don't want the public to read the posts. That's the main objective. Whether it's elegant or not is not really a concern.

But I will keep your plugin in mind should the need arise. :D

5 Nov 28, 2006 04:49

That's the way I decided to go too in the long run. It's just a matter of remembering to set the post status. A better plugin idea might be one that sets the default post status for each blog. (I jut set it up, someone else can spike it :) )

6 Nov 30, 2006 23:27

Since I seem to be missing it, where do I change so that all posts are private?

7 Dec 01, 2006 15:39

When you post a new item you can select the post status (under the categories list). Setting it to Private means only logged on users who are members of that blog will see it. There is currently no way to set this posts status to default to private, so you'll have to remember to set it manually each time.

8 Dec 01, 2006 16:22

in the one of the conf-files, you can set the 'default' status.

don't know by hard wich one.; I believe it is advanced or admin.

9 Dec 01, 2006 16:37

Admin -> blogs -> <blog> -> groups -> advanced (or wide view)

Untick published for every group

¥

10 Dec 01, 2006 16:40

Topanga wrote:

in the one of the conf-files, you can set the 'default' status.

don't know by hard wich one.; I believe it is advanced or admin.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Well, that's not true. I suppose I did realize that it is always possible to modify it in the code, I just meant that it's not possible using a default configuration. (You people with all of your hacks - how ever do you keep track during upgrades???)

It would be a nice feature for a future release though, to be able to set it per blog.

11 Dec 01, 2006 17:07

xangelusx wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize that. Well, that's not true. I suppose I did realize that it is always possible to modify it in the code, I just meant that it's not possible using a default configuration. (You people with all of your hacks - how ever do you keep track during upgrades???)

It would be a nice feature for a future release though, to be able to set it per blog.

if it is just a setting that is sitting allready in the conf file.. than that is not a hack, just a setting.. right ?

it is in conf/_admin.php

/**
 * Default status for new posts:
 * Possible values: 'published', 'deprecated', 'protected', 'private', 'draft'
 * @global string $default_post_status
 */
$default_post_status = 'protected';

Both Yabba and my sollution are using what is build in b2evo.
I never use a hacked version.
Hell, I even won't know how to...

12 Dec 01, 2006 23:00

Thanks for the help.

All posts are now protected. B)

Form is loading...