Recent Topics

1 Mar 28, 2008 14:38    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Ok, am'I right to say that the media/.evocache/ folder is created by B2evolution and by no mean by a plugin somewhere ?

since 2 days, i have a problem with it, the folder is not able to write and so to create thumbnails or preview from image i upload

i can't delete the folder to start again with the right permission,
and each time i change the permission of this folder from the "files" section in my dashboard : i change permission to 777 for exemple and when it give me the confirmation message i read :

"files permission changed to 511"

same story for folders or sub-folders.

when i go into the evocache folder, all files into their respective folder are black with in red : recursive caching not allowed.

since the latest update 2.41 i think the system stopped working, so i have thumnails for every image i have upload during the beta of 2.x series, then since this last update (we did not changed anything in the configuration) any files i upload now, in any of the blog directories say :

.evocache folder read/write error ! check file system permissions.

in the general settings i have put the base config/chmod for a new folder to 777. is there any way to send the blog engine to apply to permission on the fly to existent folder.

all the folders belong to "site1407" group and the owner of the files are httpd.

safe mode in PHP is OFF, all this was working great before, i just don't get it ! any help would be very appreciated, i'm not able to change permission on folders by FTP and by the blog even if i put 777 for a folder when i do check by ftp or web if the folder is 777, it seem the folder is 511
this is really weird !

any help would be much appreciated, since i'm kind of lost after all this :)

2 Oct 25, 2008 12:01

I got the same error... but only in the thumbnails for two of the six files I uploaded to a new folder I created in my media dir. I uploaded them all at the same time, not one by one. Strange, huh?

3 Jul 31, 2009 08:26

Avatar Fun! - The Killer Bees Widget must be screwed up - Avatars cannot be uploaded to proper folder or correctly rendered in posts.

First let me say that I know I'm not crazy - others have had this same EXACT problem!

Here is the link:

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?p=82922&sid=3b15c05175081f0757b07aa0b20c4134

(And there is NO information from B2evo regarding this or any follow up replies. Why? Can't anyone solve this problem?)

If I was to go to:

ADMIN / USERS / Profile++ / users directory / >Quick Upload! - B2evo creates at link to avatar here:

http://MY-SITE/media/users/admin/.evocache/avatar.jpg/fit-80x80.jpg

...but you can't see it! It's not there! It doesn't exist! Why is that?

But in the Preview mode it is here:

http://MY-SITE/media/users/admin/avatar.jpg

Which you CAN see.

The image (avatar) shows up in ADMIN as black image with red text stating:

"Recursive caching not allowed"

(What is "RECURSIVE CACHING"?) A Google search mentions something about DNS Servers. DO I HAVE TO RESOLVE DNS SERVER ISSUES? (Just to upload an itty bitty image?)

.evocache - - - "Not a valid directory name" - but B2EVO created it!!! - SO WHY IS THAT?

In the directory > > > http://MY-SITE/media/users/ > > > There is an HTML file that reads:

"This folder is destined to receive images and other media files you upload from within b2evolution."

Oh really? I MANUALLY uploaded the avatar to this directory as well because uploading from ADMIN puts it somewhere else in cyberspace in a directory named ".evocache" (which was created by B2evo and is not even a valid or working or recognized directory!)

If I try to access the image directly through my browser (Where B2evo insists the avatar should be)

http://MY-SITE/media/users/admin/.evocache/avatar.jpg/fit-80x80.jpg - - - image doesn't show.

NOTICE: B2evo actually creates a directory (folder) named "avatar.jpg" (very odd!) - - - and also creates the directory ".evocache" (with the "." in the beginning)- - - and an image file named fit-80x80.jpg (This is getting wacky!)

If I go directly to the image (that B2evo created) using my browser at:

http://MY-SITE/media/users/admin/.evocache/avatar.jpg/fit-80x80.jpg

I get the page error: "You are not authorized to view this page"

(The "signature" works though....but when you change it in ADMIN, it doesn't change on posts already created with the old signature...but I could live with that I suppose.)

4 Jul 31, 2009 09:18

How much did my-site.com cost you to buy?

If you'd linked to your real site I'd have known what evo version you're running.

¥

5 Aug 02, 2009 06:16

I tried Killer Bees on two different domains (one site hosted at GoDaddy and one at Simplenet). I'm using the last stable version of b2evo 2.4.7 - "Custom" skin - Examples below:

Does the php file "_killerbees.plugin.php" have to be edited or modified in any way before uploading and installing? I noticed there were three intances of "&amp" in the script - - - In regular HTML pages this is usually a no-no.

I notice in the file "messages.pot" - - -

#: ..\_killerbees.plugin.php:128
msgid "Avatar to display, you need to upload an image called <strong>avatar.jpg</strong> (or <strong>.gif</strong> or <strong>.png</strong>) to your <a href=\""
msgstr ""

(Should the path near the very end of this statement be edited to indicate where the avatar should be located?)

Hey, I'm just fishing...what do I know? Any ideas?

/media/users/admin/.evocache/avatar.jpg/fit-80x80.jpg
/htsrv/getfile.php/avatar2.jpg?root=user_1&path=avatar2.jpg&size=fit-80x80
/htsrv/getfile.php/fit-80x80.jpg?root=user_1&path=.evocache/avatar2.jpg/fit-80x80.jpg&size=fit-80x80

6 Aug 02, 2009 06:25

P.S. - Just so you know: When I first clicked on "users directory" after it was first installed , I got this message in green:

The user's directory «media/users/admin/» has been created with permissions 775.
The blog's media directory «media/blogs/b/» has been created with permissions 775.
The blog's media directory «media/blogs/links/» has been created with permissions 775.
The blog's media directory «media/blogs/blog/» has been created with permissions 775.

Thanks - I get good deals on my hosting packages because I've been with them for several years and maintain several sites - good 24/7 tech support at Simplenet - we're on a first name basis by now.

7 Aug 02, 2009 06:40

In >>> Blog Settings / Advanced / Media directory location [Admin]

It is set on "Default" - should I change this to something else for an avatar to work, or will that screw up all the photos I already have posted in my blog?

Thanks again,
Bud

8 Aug 02, 2009 07:59

I ran the b2evo PHP script to test all permissions in media directory - - -

RESULTS: (All directories have 770 permissions but with these 4 exceptions: (they have 775 permissions)

media/blogs/b/:775 / /sn (By default, b2evo created a folder here named "a", not "b" - did Killer Bees create "b" and is it hidden?)

media/blogs/links/: 775 / /sn (I don't have this on my hard drive - created by KIller Bees - is it hidden?)

media/blogs/blog/: 775 / /sn (I don't have this on my hard drive - created by KIller Bees - is it hidden?)

media/users/admin/: 775 / /sn (I don't have this on my hard drive - created by KIller Bees - is it hidden?)

=======================

As you can see, I'm trying - not just looking for an easy anwser.

9 Aug 02, 2009 10:54

I've spent too much time on this already. I like challenges but I'm calling it quits after this.

It's Saturday night and everybody has a date and partying, and stupid me is home alone trying to make an avatar!

OK, this is the best STEP - BY - STEP way I can explain this:

When trying to upload an avatar, b2evo always creates a file called "fit-80x80.jpg" (as per default size settings in ADMIN) and then b2evo creates a new folder as a sub-directory for the folder named ".evocache" and then names the new folder with the same name as the image that was just uploaded for the avatar (avatar.jpg) - then b2evo puts the image it just created named "fit-80x80.jpg" into that new folder it named "avartar.jpg" (yes, a folder named that, not a picture).

I go here: Users / Profile++ / and then I click on "users directory"

Green text lights up that I am good for a "GO" (YEAH!)
«media/blogs/b/» has been created with permissions 775.
«media/blogs/links/» has been created with permissions 775.
«media/blogs/blog/» has been created with permissions 775.

It shows a folder with my administration Nickname (Bud) and to the right of it, it reads under "Icon/Type" - "No files found."

(I knew that!) So, I need to upload my new avatar right?. So I click "Browse" find a file named "avatar.jpg" on my hard drive, and then I click Quick Upload, and PRESTO! There is my beautiful hand-crafted avatar that's been waiting to show itself off to the world. (One file, 4.8 KB)

(Actual paths to URL of avatar to image, preview pane page, and link.)
../media/users/admin/avatar.jpg
../htsrv/viewfile.php?root=user_1&path=avatar.jpg&viewtype=image
..//htsrv/getfile.php/avatar.jpg?root=user_1&path=avatar.jpg&size=fit-80x80

It is already a perfectly sized 80x80 jpeg image named "avatar.jpg" and it's named correctly. So far so good. Now what?

I click on the folder named after me (Bud) just to have a peek and it shows "Directory / .evocache" with an explanation point and a tool tip that reads ".evocache not a valid directory name". (I think, "Oh-oh! Now what?") And worst of all, my wonderful new avatar is now a dreaded "X"!!!

So anyway, I go back to Profile ++ (just to see what else might be wrong) and it shows that nasty "X" next to a "radio button". I'm nosey, so I right click the "X" for properties.

Path: http://my-site/media/users/admin/.evocache/avatar.jpg/fit-80x80.jpg (I say, "WHAT?!?!?!?")

B2evo created 3 folders under "users" named "admin" and ".evocache" and "avatar.jpg" and then put some image file that really isn't an image at all, named "fit-80x80.jpg".

I click the radio button to try it any way (I did this about 20 times already - What can I say, I'm a sucker for punishment.)

And then my brand spanking new avatar shows up as the dreaded "X" on my blog page.

*sigh*

Good thing I live in Las Vegas (bars are open 24/7) - I'm getting myself a Heineken!

10 Aug 02, 2009 17:30

http://tobuds.com/blogs and http://acompanyofone.org/

Every linkback to b2evolution has been removed, not that I care too much about that anymore. I've responded to rude emails from two people with the same IP address, and in both cases I told you (or whoever) it was your damned server.

Anyway the fact that you can't get any images to resize is the problem, and that is a server problem. That is not a plugin problem. That is not an avatar problem. That is a server problem.

Go back to the bars.

@¥åßßå: it is 246 and no images turn into thumbnails. "bud" doesn't seem to get that. "bud" likes his server he's on a first name basis with so much that to question it is unacceptable. "bud" told me having an entity encoded ampersand was maybe the problem.

11 Aug 02, 2009 17:43

I just noticed "bud" actually linked the post he wrote into the same thread. That is just weird.

If you want help with your server problem then post about that. If you want help with a plugin then post in the plugin forum.

12 Aug 02, 2009 17:52

EdB wrote:

"bud" told me having an entity encoded ampersand was maybe the problem.

EdB wrote:

That is just weird.

EdB wrote:

If you want help with your server problem then post about that. If you want help with a plugin then post in the plugin forum.

Noticed that, very weird &amp; agreed ;)

¥

13 Aug 02, 2009 21:18

Well I guess you sure told me!

I apologize if I may have been rude - I worked for hours non-stop on this problem, drinking too much coffee and without much sleep because of other problems I was having. I was irritable and cranky...please for give me. I become frustrated when I can't figure things out, and I did not mean to argue with anyone or insult anyone either.

Just by my lengthily posts and persistence, couldn't you see that I was doing everything possible to resolve this issue? I didn't get one iota of advice, only to be blame my server. Well, I have tons of scripts and it's just odd that this one is the ONLY one I can't get to work. I mentioned the ampersands to be helpful, not to be rude or critical - (I don't write PHP and only thought that if I uploaded the script wrong, it may have become corrupt - - -so I wasn't BLAMING YOU for the "&AMP", only bringing it to your attention that I saw them if it was an issue). Maybe sometimes I express myself wrong. If it makes you feel better, your insults are ten-fold payback, OK?

As far as deleting links back to b2evo - I only wanted to delete the SPAM links in the footer, not the CREDIT links but your forum didn't offer any advise for that either (I searched forum and Google). So through trial and error, I got the footer working (without the SPAM). All credits for b2evo were left in their entirety in the php so any semi-knowledgeable person could VIEW SOURCE to find your script. (I never understood why when a script is offered as "Freeware", the people who use it are sometimes expected to advertise for free and drive traffic back to someone else...that should be a courtesy, not a requirement. And encoding the credits into the PHP script rather than a putting in a simple HTML hyperlink demostrates this.

If the problem is my server, either simplenet or godaddy, then I suppose I will just have to do without Killer Bees. Oh, by the way, evidently you missed my attempt at humor in my last couple of posts so my apology may not seem sincere to you as well - sorry again for the misunderstanding. Wish you well too.

PS - And since you mentioned it, maybe I will go have a brew after all. ;-) SMILELY!

14 Mar 12, 2010 08:46

hi guys. im using b2evolution 3.3.*
i had that problem once using a free hosting site that upload zip files 000webhsot.com <--- this host doesnt have a proper unzip feature and the whole cms installation of b2evolution 3.3 wont upload because it will take only 4mb. so here is my resolution

i tried another free hosting site.. webfreehosting.net or http://jcausing.webfreehosting.net/b2evolution/blogs

his hosting wont also upload a more than 4mb file. so what i did was i tried chopping the files, zip it into 3 or 4 parts and upload it one by one. that hosting as a proper unzip feature.. then bingo!!! no evocache erro permission

-reference --> http://manual.b2evolution.net/File_browser

good luck

15 Apr 16, 2010 18:43

buddyboy1965 wrote:

I didn't get one iota of advice, only to be blame my server.

That is how tech support people are. They blame each other. The B2E guys say it is the server. The hosting people say it is B2E.

Don't take shit from them. They are both lazy.

buddyboy1965 wrote:

If the problem is my server, either simplenet or godaddy,!

I am with Godaddy and am having the same problem. My problem solution was that I had a Deluxe hosting acount which allows multiple domains. For some reason B2E would not work there. B2E works fine on their economy hosting that allows only 1 domain.

They of course blamed B2E for not working on their Deluxe servers while the Blonde Bimbo blamed the hosting company and said it was server permissions.

I don't know who is right but neither one was any help to me.

16 Apr 16, 2010 18:50

EdB wrote:

http://tobuds.com/blogs and http://acompanyofone.org/
Anyway the fact that you can't get any images to resize is the problem, and that is a server problem. That is not a plugin problem. That is not an avatar problem. That is a server problem.

Go back to the bars.

@¥åßßå: it is 246 and no images turn into thumbnails. "bud" doesn't seem to get that. "bud" likes his server he's on a first name basis with so much that to question it is unacceptable. "bud" told me having an entity encoded ampersand was maybe the problem.

You know what jerk? If he goes to the server people and says to them what you just said, they will tell him it is B2E with just as much conviction as you have told him it is the server. I know that for a fact because I just spent a week with tech support people telling me "It is B2Evolution that is the problem."

Why are you shitting on him because he believes the tech support people? Maybe he has not been around long enough to know tech support people lie to cover up when they don't know something.

I wonder if he ever got his problem fixed? After you shit on him he never posted again. Probably went to Wordpress like I am planning on doing.

Arrogant smart asses blaming me for their wars with other tech support people is not my idea of a good time.

17 Apr 16, 2010 20:39

Probably not a good time to tell you that I run a multi-domain evo install with no problems?

¥

18 May 31, 2010 22:13

After a number of hours of reading in this forum, and a number of hours of debugging, I finally found one forum respondant mention turning off "Safe Mode". THAT WORKS!!!

I have a Linux dedicated managed server running Apache. Currently, I have two-dozen websites that I have developed and maintain. Standard best practice is to set them up with "Safe Mode" turned ON. If you don't have control over your "setup", contact your provider and ask them to turn "Safe Mode" off. With "Safe Mode" OFF, miraculously and thankfully, the images display rather than the black boxes with embedded error messages in red text.

Hopefully, at some point, the developers of this fabulous product, in a future release, will make the changes necessary so that it will run in "Safe Mode" as I do like having to turn it to OFF. Also, despite numerous folks having frustration (including me), it would seem to make sense to fix this issue. I and others would surely be grateful as not being able to run in "Safe Mode" is very obscure and time consuming and difficult to resolve which is such a shame as the deveolpers have otherwise created a wonderful free procduct. I like it much better than WordPress.

19 Jun 05, 2010 17:31

russellwarren wrote:

After a number of hours of reading in this forum, and a number of hours of debugging, I finally found one forum respondant mention turning off "Safe Mode". THAT WORKS!!!

I have a Linux dedicated managed server running Apache.

In that case I suggest that you install suphp and kill safe mode.

¥

Form is loading...