Recent Topics

1 Apr 09, 2005 03:56    

I have found that the size of the short name is limited to something too short. I have one 'short name' that doesn't have a space between the two words and I want it to. However I can't put the space in without removing a letter. There should be a way to edit it so the character limit is larger...?

I thought I had found this already but on a search I could not locate it. I changed the search about 4-5 times and still didn't turn it up. If anyone knows the answer to this I would be very very appreciative :D

Heidi

2 Apr 09, 2005 04:32

This is going to sound dumb, but what's a "Short Name"?

Maybe "Al"? That's short!

Or how about "Midget" ... that's short in two ways!

Heidi ... really, I don't know what a short name is ... but can it only be 12 characters long?

Seems to me that you could go into phpMyAdmin, call up the "evo_blogs" table, check "blog_shortname" & edit that field, making it as long (or as short?) as you want.

I've never edited a b2evo field, but it should work.

:D

-Scott

3 Apr 09, 2005 05:10

In the admin when you go to create a new blog. It asks for Full Name and then Short Name.

It was set to 12 in the database table but changing it doesn't seem to have helped. There has to be another limiter somewhere. I have changed it to 25 but I still cannot add a space to that blog short name.

Heidi

4 Apr 09, 2005 05:17

I'm seeing a promising line of code in _blogs_general.form.php under the /admins folder.

<fieldset>
		<legend><?php echo T_('General parameters') ?></legend>
		<?php
			form_text( 'blog_name', $blog_name, 50, T_('Full Name'), T_('Will be displayed on top of the blog.') );
			form_text( 'blog_shortname', $blog_shortname, 12, T_('Short Name'), T_('Will be used in selection menus and throughout the admin interface.') );
			form_select( 'blog_locale', $blog_locale, 'locale_options', T_('Main Locale'), T_('Determines the language of the navigation links on the blog.') );
		?>
	</fieldset>

I imagine if you change that little "12" to "25" you'll be okay.
Hope that works.

5 Apr 09, 2005 06:11

Nate ... good spot!

I bet you'll have to do BOTH, as the form may allow more, but if the DB doesn't ... then it will likely get trucated, even though the form will allow it.

Likewise, as Heidi discovered, changing the DB by itself isn't enough. Though the field could accept 25, the form was still only allowing 12.

Just a guess.

Good luck!

6 Apr 09, 2005 15:58

Thank you so much Nate. That did the trick. :D I now have my happy space between the two words. Thanks also Scott for helping. Both of you gave me the right direction.

Heidi

7 Apr 09, 2005 16:20

I am so thankful for my Copernic Desktop Search program! b2e has so many files with so many lines of code. It's awesome to be able to search for "Short Name:" on my hard drives and less than a second later have a few b2e files pop up with the key words highlighted and a quick preview to see if that's really what I'm looking for. It really makes these more obscure searches so much easier.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/desktop-search.ars has reviews of current desktop search tools if you've never looked into them. They really are great for so many reasons.

8 Apr 09, 2005 16:25

Neat I will check it out. It could come in handy as I have plans to install b2evolution on a couple other sites as well and I am sure more customizations will follow ;)

Heidi

9 Apr 09, 2005 17:42

Thanks to both of you! :)

Heidi ... I now know what a short name is!

Nate ... I now have a much better desktop search tool!

-Scott

10 Apr 10, 2005 10:44

thanks guys - it worked for me too. Thanks for asking Blackcat, I never imagined you could change this. It has bugged me to have to list all the blogs many of them with truncated names.

11 Aug 16, 2005 20:48

Thanks guys this has been bugging me for ages. worked like a charm

Form is loading...