Recent Topics

1 Nov 27, 2006 08:24    

As IE7 is out, as well as many other browsers (firefox and opera), is anyone still using IE6? Because it is one hell of a horrible browser to develop for, so i'm thinking of just cutting the support help push along the upgrade to ie7 or the move to another browser...

2 Nov 27, 2006 09:05

I use IE only when required, and there's no way I'll upgrade from 6 anytime in the next year.

3 Nov 27, 2006 10:06

Why don't you want to upgrade?

4 Nov 27, 2006 15:27

Because Microsoft sucks. Their products are sometimes better than mediocre and are usually bloated beyond measure, but the company sucks and I want as little to do with them as possible. Though I will be getting a copy of XP Pro for $.01 tomorrow. At that cost it's not going to be more than one cent over value, and ensures me I won't have to have Vista on my next PC.

5 Nov 27, 2006 15:44

Haha your talking to a pro microsoft person right here. Microsoft even gave me a free copy of Vista Ultimate, that i'm running right now. They work brilliantly for me (although i do hate ie, although ie7 ain't that bad). But yeh some people don't get along with em.. oh well..

6 Nov 27, 2006 16:34

kinda funny... I have nothing against IE, or several other MS products - it is the company that makes the products that I have a problem with. The US DOJ is a useless piece of crap for not taking them apart. Monopolies are cool - everyone wishes they had one - but uncool monopolies should be busted up into itty bitty pieces and scattered to the far corners of the galaxy.

Oh well. They'll pass into the dustbin of history soon enough, though 'soon enough' probably won't be soon.

7 Nov 27, 2006 16:54

What's wrong with monopolies?

8 Nov 27, 2006 17:37

balupton wrote:

What's wrong with monopolies?

euh... everything

I'm using ie6 on my desktop
use ff for looking at my site of for browsing sites that are not ie-compatible

and I have ie7 on my laptop

I will not upgrade to ie7 soon, since to many people still use ie6, and I do want to have my site look good for the majority of nitwits.

9 Nov 27, 2006 18:53

I use ie6 and 7.. but ONLY to check for display issues.

I also have flock installed, have had Opera installed, and even Netscape.

Just became an issue of having to many browsers to manage though.

firefox all the way baby!

10 Nov 27, 2006 19:03

The forward thinking Baaaaaalupton wrote:

so i'm thinking of just cutting the support help push along the upgrade to ie7 or the move to another browser...

Wooohooo that'll knock at least a day off the length of time I have to support that pile of garbage whilst making allowances for their new pile of garbage.

The good news is, at the rate that Microdoft release browsers I won't live to see IE8 :|

¥

11 Nov 27, 2006 19:52

The joyous yabba wrote:

Wooohooo that'll knock at least a day off the length of time I have to support that pile of garbage whilst making allowances for their new pile of garbage.

Dam right, a whole day! you should thank me ;) Nah, the real reason is because Gallery 2 will require transparent PNG32s in which IE6 doesn't support.

Yeh i'm back to using firefox 2, after using opera for a year, as opera doesn't have any of the cool developer stuff firefox does, plus firefox is finally working again (probably because of the format i did).

Yeh, plus i think that on anything that can be updated there should be a little banner or notice saying 'Something not working the way it's meant to, Upgrading will probably fix this!' it applies to b2evolution atm, and it can be my message to ie6 users ;)

12 Nov 30, 2006 22:07

Haha punks, what happened to the simple yes/no ;)

13 Nov 30, 2006 22:21

I thought I gave a reasonably clear NO I DON'T USE IE and NO I WON'T UPGRADE but you asked for more so you got more.

Here's an idea for you: don't think of browsers when you code. Instead think of standards, then look to see how browsers handle properly written code. If IE* can't handle pngs then to hell with them, unless IE* makes the page completely useless. In that case review your code and see what you can do to not have a page that doesn't display well in an unfortunately common browser.

In other words use the standards that have the most universally accepted interpretations and let the browsers catch up with you. After all I'm sure you'll agree that the world should march to the tune balupton sings ;)

14 Dec 01, 2006 00:16

The question for this poll and the poll itself is useless.
The real question, as a developer/coder should have been.."Should I still support the IE6 browser?"

The only answer is YES, unless you have a very specific user base that don't fall into the 80+% of IE users that are still on IE6, the huge number that are still on Win2k and those that will never upgrade anything.

If you want to drop support for IE6 then you had better be very sure of your current and potential user base.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=7

15 Dec 09, 2006 15:20

The question for this poll and the poll itself is useless.
The real question, as a developer/coder should have been.."Should I still support the IE6 browser?"

Well. That is what i'm doing. Guess who my userbase is! You guys. 99% of my traffic i'm positive is either b2evo users or my mates. Which is why i had a yes/no for such a simple question. If i wanted to as a different question with different answers i would of.

As for what i'm doing, yes i am dropping support for IE6. I'm just going to tell them to upgrade to IE7 like they should, or use another browser. As i have much better things to do than to hack away at css trying to make it compatible with IE6's own set of interpretations.

Form is loading...