Recent Topics

1 Mar 18, 2008 19:54    

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.x

I have seen several threads about problems with hosts complaining about high CPU usages... but no real substantial answers.

I run a political blog and have now run into this problem twice. During the 2006 election my old host suspended my account due to high CPU usages and I had to find a new host... who at the time didn't appear to have any issues with my site.

I have been using the new host since then, but now two years later (during an election year) I am hearing more about issues with my site using too much CPU.

My theory might be that when they wanted my business they put me on a less populated server and then as my traffic went down, they added more sites to my server... but now that my traffic is spiking, it has started causing issues. They have moved all but five other sites off the server, but they are of course not happy about it.

They say that the site is using as much as 85% of the server's CPU at times... and somehow I believe them. My site usually sees about 10 posts, 150-200 comments and about 1200 page views a day.

My basic question is about versions and CPU usage. At one time I had heard that upgrading from the old 9.2 version I am currently one to the 1.X would actually increase my CPU slightly. I am wondering if the same can be said about the 2.X versions as well. Or if anyone knows for sure which versions use the least. My 9.2 is completely stable and I have updated my custom skin countless times to make sure it is exactly what I want.

I am looking for suggestions as to what might be done to help. I updated my anitspam today (hadn't done that in a while) - otherwise... here is my site: it is up for now, but I am getting pressure from the host.

http://www.coldheartedtruth.com/

2 Mar 18, 2008 23:02

coldhart wrote:

My site usually sees about 10 posts, 150-200 comments and about 1200 page views a day.

[quote"coldhart"]My 9.2 is completely stable and I have updated my custom skin countless times to make sure it is exactly what I want.[/quote]
Hi coldhart,

I cannot see from here what is wrong, but the numbers you give do not correspond with 85% CPU usage. I do however sincerely advise you ti take the plunge and upgrade to 2,4.1. I think -again, I am not sure- more is going on. You seem to be getting a lot more traffic than the 1200 daily and that can only be potentional spammers and other back-door ramblers.
In 0.9 we cannot control spam as we can in 2.4.1. The upgrade is painless, but you correctly identified the drawback: wait for a rainy day to do the skinning again.

God luck

Form is loading...