Recent Topics

1 Dec 30, 2009 12:23    

I have the turing test plugin on my site, and just thought I'd warn people: someone putting these terms into search engines "leave a comment" "antispam test", is directly looking for blogs using the turing test plugin so they can spam it. The person used both Google and Yahoo to find my site with those terms. (The email and their URL have both been added to the central blacklist by me as well)

2 Jan 12, 2010 22:01

Thanks for that - the URL is worth reporting but for future reference, the central antispam doesn't handle email addresses so you needn't bother submitting them.

3 Jan 18, 2010 15:31

This is sort of related... but... is it best to change the turing test answer every now and again? I seem to be getting a TON of spam comments lately and it just came to me last night (an A HA moment if you will) that I shouldn't be getting them because I have the turing test set up. Apparently robots are smarter than I thought they were...so thought about changing my test. I assume this would be beneficial....so every time you start getting more spam, change the test again?

I do have moderated comments, so nothing ever appears on my blog, but they still appear in the backoffice and I have to take care of them. I update the blacklist daily and submit every spam...

*Sidenote, I got this error today when trying to submit something:

* Remote error: Invalid return payload: enable debugging to examine incoming payload (XML error: junk after document element at line 2, column 0) (2)
* Failed to report abuse to b2evolution.net.

Thoughts on both issues?

4 Jan 18, 2010 17:40

so every time you start getting more spam, change the test again?

Install captcha plugin instead

Regarding the error message, probably something happened on b2evo server, try to resubmit.

5 Jan 18, 2010 17:53

I am in the middle of trying to install the captcha, but it's not working (I have another post on that!). :)

6 Mar 31, 2010 05:57

hi hudson2001

what happened when you were installing the recaptcha? is there any error?

7 Mar 31, 2010 07:58

Spam that gets past turingtest is human-powered, but if a bot is written for it then changing the question and answer will solve that.

I was getting a bunch of it before I decided to blow up my web, then restore it as a plain-jane v247, which is about to get totally wiped clean again and maybe repurposed for my shiny new career path ... or just for the heck of it.

8 Mar 31, 2010 14:00

jmcausing wrote:

hi hudson2001

what happened when you were installing the recaptcha? is there any error?

I don't remember exactly since it was awhile ago... but I did have to ask my host to install the necessary font package (or whatever it's called). But it's been amazing--haven't had ANY spam since!

Form is loading...