Recent Topics

1 Sep 17, 2006 04:07    

Someone submitted .blogspot.com to the central blacklist.

Now everytime I update my blacklist from the central blacklist, I get .blogspot.com as well.

Everytime, I'll have to delete .blogspot.com. That's like 5 steps everytime :/

Can .blogspot.com and all other widely popular blogging services/hosts be deleted from the central blacklist? In fact, don't let anyone submit it.

Thanks!!

2 Sep 17, 2006 16:24

TENS OF THOUSANDS of people have reported various keywords with ".blogspot.com" in them. That particular keyword has about 100 reports. "blogspot.com" has about 100 reports. "blogspot" has about 100 reports. There are over THREE THOUSAND reported keywords that would have been blocked by ".blogspot.com", so it is probably the most heavily reported source of spam in our database. It is therefore one of the strongest antispam keywords we have.

You will NOT have to unban it (or any other published keyword you've decided to allow) each time you update your local copy. The system doesn't work that way. You only get keywords published AFTER your last update. Thus if you think "xxx" is okay you can unban it and will never get that keyword again. People do that by the way. They unblock "xxx" then report keywords that would have been blocked by "xxx".

All users are free to use or not use the central keyword list, to unban keywords they think should not be banned, and to report keywords that would have been blocked by a keyword they unbanned. Don't worry - you won't see it again (unless you alter one of the fields in your settings table in your database).

3 Sep 17, 2006 20:17

Laibcoms wrote:

Everytime, I'll have to delete .blogspot.com. That's like 5 steps everytime :/

Don't delete, just unban

4 Sep 19, 2006 06:13

So how do you unban a keyword and prevent the central blacklist from re-adding it when I update??

The only option I see in the antispam tab is the green 'check' icon which deletes the keyword instead of what was explained to "unban". Then if I upgrade from the central blacklist, .blogspot.com is added again.

Thanks again.

5 Sep 19, 2006 15:47

the man wrote:

The system doesn't work that way. You only get keywords published AFTER your last update.

Seeing you mentioned that, can you tell me how i can reset the antipsam list, so it gets it all again from scratch (i kinda wiped all the banned keywords a while a ago)....

6 Sep 19, 2006 16:40

Laibcoms wrote:

So how do you unban a keyword and prevent the central blacklist from re-adding it when I update??

The only option I see in the antispam tab is the green 'check' icon which deletes the keyword instead of what was explained to "unban". Then if I upgrade from the central blacklist, .blogspot.com is added again.

Thanks again.

One more update and unban (the green checkmark) and you won't see ".blogspot.com" again. I'll explain below.

balupton wrote:

Seeing you mentioned that, can you tell me how i can reset the antipsam list, so it gets it all again from scratch (i kinda wiped all the banned keywords a while a ago)....

You have a field in your evo_settings table called something like "antispam_last_update" that you can set to 2001-01-01 00:00:00 in order to fool central into thinking you're a brand new user. When I do that I also empty my evo_antispam table so it starts at 1 again, but that's just me.

---------

HERE IS HOW Laibcoms GOT THE KEYWORD DELIVERED AGAIN AND AGAIN:
When you update your local list you get the next 1000 entries based on your antispam_last_update value. For a new user with the 2001 datestamp they get 1000 entries AND a new value for that field. They get the date and time the 1000th entry was published. The next time they ask for an update they will get 999 new keywords instead of 1000 because it starts with keywords published at or after the datestamp in their database. So the last keyword on any update is the 1st keyword in the next update. Laibcoms (and all other users who chose to unban that keyword) kept getting .blogspot.com back because it was the LAST keyword published. Fixing this issue for Laibcoms (and others I'm sure) was simply a matter of publishing another keyword - meaning there is a new 'last' keyword datestamp.

The only way the central system will replace an unbanned keyword is if the keyword happens to be the last keyword in the central database list. (sentence edited for clarity)

Laibcoms and balupton should share a :cookie: for helping me see this funky little bug-like wierdness.

7 Sep 19, 2006 16:46

the cookie monster wrote:

Laibcoms and balupton should share a for helping me see this funky little bug-like wierdness.

Well don't i just have good timing :D Btw, looks like someone already had a nible of the cookie ;)

Form is loading...