Recent Topics

1 Aug 04, 2009 22:55    

Hello,

here is an example of what I would like to see in b2evolution ... http://aventurenasie.over-blog.com/

I don't know if they can insert a photo in a post but the idea of having a simple gallery enable as a feature in b2evo could be great.

I actually use the gallery2 plugin but without a uniform template and using 2 separate software. Having your own gallery or a good integration support with one gallery software could be a good point for b2evo.

I think that because I have begin my blog to post some news during travel (so with photos) and most blogs I know have begin with the same purpose. So If b2evo could give this with a good support, it could be a good point to choose for a first blog.

It just a suggestion, so let me know what you think about it.

2 Aug 25, 2009 10:24

81 people have seen this topic but none have give there idea ... Am I the only one to want to have a gallery on my blog ?

3 Aug 25, 2009 11:10

Did you try photoblog skin ?

4 Aug 30, 2009 14:19

hello,
yes, i've see the photoblog but I think that it is too restricted.

Let me explain :
- No sidebar to display the different album (which can be done with categories i think)
- no possibility to restrict a photo or an album to some users ... only all, members or myself.
- no possibility to upload multiples photos and create an album to complete after. I have imagine a possibility to create a media folder, upload photos to it. After that select the folder and have the possibility to create an album from it.
- photos album thumbnails on the skin to switch from one photo to another.

These are the possibilities I would like to have but I don't.
that's why I would like to know if I'm the only one to search for these functions ;)

5 Aug 30, 2009 14:46

krao69 wrote:

- No sidebar to display the different album (which can be done with categories i think)

Not in the default version of the skin, but so what. I put a sidebar in a photoblog in an installation that hasn't gone public yet. I use it to show up to 10 randomly selected images from the photoblog, but a creative fella could figure out a way to have the most recent (or a random) from each category in the sidebar. For the record, the main body shows 3 or 4 pic-posts with medium images - meaning it is just like a 'regular' blog only for photos.

krao69 wrote:

- no possibility to restrict a photo or an album to some users ... only all, members or myself.

If I follow you correctly, the same applies to regular blog posts. If someone is a member of the blog then they get to see the content of the blog. Are you looking for a post-by-post permission system? Or maybe a per-category permission system? I reckon something could also be done with user level in addition to basic blog membership, but I never really gave it much thought.

krao69 wrote:

- no possibility to upload multiples photos and create an album to complete after. I have imagine a possibility to create a media folder, upload photos to it. After that select the folder and have the possibility to create an album from it.

Yes there is! You can upload till the cows come home via FTP if you like, or use the upload tab with advanced properties shown feature. Either way, a long long time ago I shared a core improvement that makes Image Posts show up as drafts, which I think might be core in v3. Anyway this means upload a collection of images, turn them into draft posts, tweak your text as you see fit, "publish now" all of them when you are ready.

OTOH there is no "publish all of these now" button, so if you had let's say 30 pics in an album then you would have to publish 30 posts the old-fashioned way.

krao69 wrote:

- photos album thumbnails on the skin to switch from one photo to another.

I just did this one too! It's kinda neat. Instead of the "left right arrow buttons" jammed over on the right, I have the thumbnail for the previous and next posts on the left and right of the single post title. I'm kinda thinking the next step might be to put a string of 8 randomly selected thumbs between the post text and the comment section, but I dunno. Might get too cluttered ya know?

--------

I guess maybe a lot of stuff that wasn't there in v2 might be easier and cleaner in v3 but to me v3 is too buggy to even begin to try to use, so I dug in and took care of some business. Anyway the idea here is that most of what you want can be done. If what you really want is for this to be exactly like something else you're probably better off with something else.

Hey wanna know what I want? A way to restrict a user to a specific category. photoblog-related: each user who gets to post should be posting in his/her own album, so the blog owner should be able to say "user X has perms in blog Y and cat Z". If the user wants a different category for the next series of photos then contact the blog owner, or maybe something where they can click "give me a new cat", which forever closes the old one.

--------

I think I'll get back to an age-old project of mine that will use the photoblog feature: old family photos scanned and uploaded. Now that I have all these shiny new improvements :)

6 Sep 18, 2009 11:18

Hello EdB,

First, thanks for reply and sorry to reply so late.

Second, I'm not fluent english so maybe I have misunderstood some things you write and maybe i'm not very clear when I write.

For the users permission system, it's true that I have prefere more possibilities. Like post-by-post permissions and categories permissions.

For the images upload, it's not as easy as a real photo gallery and that's what I would like.

For the skin possibilities, I hope that there will be more skin in V3 than in V2 because it's a big problem for B2 I think. So i also hope that there will be more than 1 photoblog skin.

7 Sep 21, 2009 19:58

I must agree. The ONE thing B2evolution is missing since 2.x is a decent alternative for the gallery plugin by balupton. i can't complain offcourse since I can't contribute in a technical way but I REALLY miss the support of a decent gallery.

8 Sep 23, 2009 21:51

¥åßßå has something going on, though i dont know if he is willing to share it with the public

9 Sep 24, 2009 11:27

3.x lets you publish multiple photos at once (either in 1 posts or separate posts).

it's been on the todo list for a while to be able to post a whole folder as a "gallery", i-e: anythign you add to the folder automatically gets added to the post that shows that gallery.

I'm not sure about additional restrictions these give a false sense of privacy since most people will have the photos publicly accessible through the /media folder anyways.

Guide to getting stuff done:

Generally speaking, if you want new features it's best to detail your priorities like:
1-I want to publish many photos at once
2-I want to show an index of photo galleries (not individual images) in the sidebar
etc.
The shorter each item is, the better.

Vague requests like "a 'real' gallery" or "an alternative to x", while they certainly have some merit, require us to investigate what you actually mean. And on a 500 item long todo list, "evaluate" todos always lose in favor of "do this clearly defined X thing" which can then be checked off the list.

10 Sep 24, 2009 12:07

In the 247 version of things, I immediately wished I could pick the category when clicking the "make image be a post" button. For ONE image I could probably figure it out, but when one clicks multiple images and wants them to be multiple posts I'd get lost keeping track of things. Unless one was given ONE choice to pick a category for ALL posts made from selected images? That might be quite workable.

So like I take a bunch of pictures of ... I dunno "bum eating bugs" and I upload them all via the fancy settings, so I got all my text bits in place. I know I want them in the "free meals" category, but I can't get them there without editing after the fact. UNLESS (aha!) I could check all the boxes then click "make images be posts cuz I'm an awesome photoblogger" button knowing I would then get a page (popup?) that says "what category is this crap going into mister fancy-pants with a cheap camera and too much time?". I then tick the radio button for "free meals" and I'm home free.

Publish Now and be happy :)

EDIT: Actually I probably made a category called "bum eating bugs" as a sub-cat of the "free meals" category, otherwise I wouldn't have thought that in quotation marks :roll:

11 Sep 24, 2009 12:20

makes sense. added to the photoblog todo list.

12 Oct 21, 2009 15:34

I like your gallery.Can I also add in my website?

Form is loading...