Recent Topics

1 May 01, 2007 07:23    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi there. I have installed b2evo successfully and want to incorporate it into a main site, but when i do i get a scroll bar within the frame:

See: http://www.baird-online.com/frame.php?id=7064727CC3EC4D5CCA2572B30034157C&url=http://www.baird-online.com/baird/Blogs/blogs/index.php?blog=2

I have other php programs in the site that keep the scroll bar to the far right of the whole page (eg: http://www.baird-online.com/apps/company/meps.php?id=C4EA29489DED9A48CA2572B400231841)

Can i make this the same??[/url]

2 May 01, 2007 07:54

The frames are obsolete in XHTML and HTML4, which means you can use them, but they are not recommended and you run the risk of not being able to view the site in future browsers.

Never mind. Open frame.php and change the eighth line, starting with:

<FRAME SRC="http://www.baird-online.com/

In the end it states:

SCROLLING="AUTO">

to

SCROLLING="NO">

and the line underneath to scrolling="AUTO". If this doesn't work try changing one of the other lines.

Good luck

3 May 01, 2007 08:38

Cystophora, the second example you gave (not the blog) doesn't appear to be in a frame, but instead tables.

Afwas most likely has stated the correct solution. But, it that doesn't work you might try... a height attribute for your frame, for example "height="2000" or something that would include your typical blog length. Experiment.

4 May 02, 2007 11:00

I can't find frame.php... ? I've looked everywhere!

5 May 02, 2007 15:08

The frame.php is not part of your b2evolution installation, but is instead one of your website files, located in your public html directory.

Here is the path:

\hosting\baird.com.au\webroot\frame.php

more specifically here:

D:\\hosting\baird.com.au\webroot\frame.php

If someone else has installed your website... they would have access to that file (or tell you how to access and edit it).

6 May 07, 2007 06:03

Thanks for your help guys. We have a company doing most of the site for us so i can't change things like that, but i've let them know.

7 May 07, 2007 15:01

Tell them to conform to the W3C Web-Standards - at least XHTML 1.0 Transitional. Highly recommended is they conform to XHTML 1.0 Strict or XHTML 1.1 (which is Strict only) if they know how :p

You are paying them for your site, it is your right to demand the site they create for you will work for 'tomorrow' without them ;) That's what I don't like with outsourced webdev companies (like where I work, the outsource webdev is still using the never-been-approved font element!! And I have to do all the cleaning on our end... sigh)

It is also to your advantage if your site conforms with W3C ;) less worries for you once the browser vendors roll out browser versions that will not read non-conforming websites (yes its coming, according to the vendors and W3C).

8 May 10, 2007 07:00

In my second example (in the first post of this topic), the web company has made these programs themselves and so they say they can wrap the header and sidebar of the site around it no problems.
They said the problem is with using third-party software (like phpBB and b2evo) and that they don't know how to change the code to accommodate this. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

9 May 10, 2007 07:24

Find a host that doesn't suck.

10 May 10, 2007 07:41

OK, but assuming that doesn't happen, is there a solution or is it just not possible?

11 May 11, 2007 02:41

Isn't this page we are on doing what i want. If the frame had to have a scrollbar, wouldn't it stop under the b2evolution header and not go all the way to the top of the page??

12 May 11, 2007 03:08

The page we are on, meaning the b2evolution forum, isn't generating the scroll bar. This forum is powered by phpbb2, which doesn't use frames. Your browser is generating the scroll bar because the page is longer than your monitor.

Look everything is probably possible, but why not expect the people you're paying to do what you want? If they won't or can't then why are you paying them? http://www.baird-online.com/baird/Blogs/blogs/index.php?blog=2 is your blog outside the frame they put it in. ALL they did was make a page using frames with a list of links across the top for what to put inside the frame.

BTW search engines won't see your actual content because they'll see the frame and that's it. Right click on the area to the right of the right-hand scroll bar and select "view source". You'll see what the search engines will see.

That's what you're paying for?

Find a better host or a better web authoring company. Everything you have on that frame can be done without frames. It can be done via b2evolution or phpbb2 or any of the other software packages you're using. All it takes is a little bit of smarts. The kind of smarts you have a right to expect when you pay someone for web work.

13 May 15, 2007 06:14

Can i do any of that on my end or is it all through the base parts of the site that i can't access?

14 May 15, 2007 09:39

cystophora wrote:

Can i do any of that on my end or is it all through the base parts of the site that i can't access?

Nothing, but you have told them to include the blog in the main site, didn't you? Now you tell them they made a slight mistake because they added the handle bar to the wrong frame and ask them to correct this. After all it's less than five minutes work.

Form is loading...