Recent Topics

1 Nov 05, 2007 17:53    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Hi All,

I have a simple question. I know that different blog can have different skin, so I am wonder if this can also apply to categories, that is, can different categories can have different skin? If so, how can I do so?

I have think of put different categories as different blog, however, if I do so, I cannot search on multiple blog. I know BlogAll can do a search across multiple blog, but I don't know how, can someone tell me?

Finally, I would like to say, b2evolution is great.
Calvin

2 Dec 11, 2007 13:16

If you are using Apache then one way to achieve that is via URI rewrite rules in an .htaccess file in the same directory.

I have a related problem. I have two skins for the blog, one is used as the home page and only shows 3 entries and a link for more news which takes you to the second skin that shows a much longer list of entries.

The second skin also allows users to click on categories to filter the news by category. Unfortunately the autogenerated links for categories use the first skin and not the second, and I don't know how to fix that cleanly.

My work around was to set $baseurl and use .htaccess to clean up. Is there a better way to set the skin for autogenerated links like categories?

3 Dec 11, 2007 14:57

draggett wrote:

... I have two skins for the blog, one is used as the home page and only shows 3 entries and a link for more news which takes you to the second skin that shows a much longer list of entries. ...

This one could be easier to handle. Assuming you're using 1.10.3, make blog #1 be the blog your visitors see for the 3-post page, but actually post everything in a different blog.

A skin for each category is a great idea, but not something that b2evolution can easily handle. I'm not hip to what is realistically possible with .htaccess so I won't go there other than to point out you can change what your URLs look like so that .htaccess will allways have a category parameter available.

Depending on how cool you are with style sheets, you could also have many style sheets in one skin and let your _main.php file pick the sheet based on the value of $cat. You would lose a bit of the coolness of skins, but you would gain a "skin" for each cat.

Skinning cats: apparently there is more than one way ;)

Form is loading...