Recent Topics

1 Nov 22, 2007 09:33    

This article [url=http://pascal.vanhecke.info/2007/11/21/making-money-with-adsense-without-annoying-the-community-wordpresscom/]Making money with Adsense - without annoying your users: Wordpress.com[/url] describes some ideas from Wordpress and others about hiding Google Adsense blocks from regualar users who are not likely to be interested in clicking ads.
Since this idea was new to me and a nice extension to the ads - no ads discussion, I posted it here.
You may concider blocking ads from viewers in the 89.220.xxx.xxx IP range.

2 Nov 22, 2007 17:47

Funnily enough I already show google ads to visitors from any search engine that the core recognises ( and any hit that has a referrer containing the word "myspace" :roll: )

I'm pretty sure Whoo has something similar running on her blog.

¥

3 Nov 23, 2007 16:41

¥åßßå wrote:

I'm pretty sure Whoo has something similar running on her blog.

I do.

I show ads to ppl coming from most search engines and to ppl coming from anywhere within wordpress.org

4 Nov 23, 2007 16:46

whoo wrote:

I do.

I show ads to ppl coming from most search engines and to ppl coming from anywhere within wordpress.org

Cool. Like I said: the idea was new to me. BTW do you have IP's from "anywhere within wordpress.org"? They are routed. At least the blogs are.

--ƒ

5 Nov 23, 2007 16:54

dont need to worry about using IPs:

I do this, though I am sure someone like yabba can make this even simpler:

<?php
$referer = $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"];
$getads = preg_match("/[qp]=/i", $referer) > 0; ?> // <--

<?php if (($getads) || stristr($referer, 'wordpress')){ ?>
<div class="adsense">

<?php } ?>

that checks to see if the referer came from a site using p= or q= in the referer (covers Google and most other well known search engines, though I was mainly interested in Google) and covers wordpress.org

the global variable, $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"], doesnt need to know the IPs.

--

... atleast the blogs are

I'll assume you are talking about the blogs on wordpress.com? Theres only one blog on wordpress.org ..

Either way, since I just look for wordpress in the referer, blogs hosted at wordpress.com would also see ads if they clicked through to my site. Which is what I would want.

I dont think there are any hard reciprocol links to my site from anyone with a blog on .com .. Lorelle VanFossen has linked to me in a post but that's about it.

--------------------

the method in my madness:

Since march 2007, the top 5 referring sites to my own site are:

google.com --> 26129 hits
wordpress.org --> 5999 hits
google.co.uk --> 2380 hits
codex.wordpress.org --> 2253 hits
google.ca --> 1645 hits

6 Nov 23, 2007 17:10

How am I to know there's a difference between wordpress.org and wordpress.com :'(
When I read your post I was thinking about the Trackback plugin, where we wanted to *include* TB's from a wordpress blog, but the TB's DNS lookup lead to another adress as they are send from. If you had any information we don't have, I'd be interested.

But your code will gain a prominent spot on my site also :p Thanks

--ƒ

7 Nov 23, 2007 17:13

How am I to know there's a difference between wordpress.org and wordpress.com

In the case of what I use, you wouldnt. Thats my point. I dont delineate since I dont want to.

I am assuming that just doing this:

<?php if (($getads) || stristr($referer, 'wordpress.com')){ ?> 

would look for wordpress.com specifically, in the referer string.

The trackback plugin issue .. I dont know, sorry.

Form is loading...