Recent Topics

1 Aug 17, 2008 23:32    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hey,

sorry for this stupid question: Is the custom skin the basic for creating own skins? I ask because there is a copyright-info and the name of the creator...

Thanks

2 Aug 22, 2008 16:45

The copyright info probably says YOU hold copyright. In the footer when viewing the blog right? In other words opening the file(s) in an editor doesn't reveal any claim of ownership or anything saying you can't modify it ... right?

Anyway yeah generally speaking the 'custom' skin is, or was, there to give you a good starting point for building your own skin. That is actually true for any skin by the way: download one that seems close to what you want and customize it like crazy. As a general rule, the creator of a skin will put a crediting link back to their blog but, but you as the end user are not required in any way to keep it there. If the only customizing you do is to remove the credit then you're mean, but if you start out with something and make it be quite different then you might want to put YOUR link at the bottom and submit it to the skins repository.

hmmm... Once a long time ago someone made a skin that was really popular AND had this crazy stupid "if you do this you must link to my domain with this exact text and may not alter or remove this notice and you must have butter on toast for dinner and you must change your name to charles on tuesdays" type of expectation in it. That skin died of neglect.

BTW did you pick v1.10.x or v2.4.2 or what for this post?

3 Aug 24, 2008 17:38

Thanks for the answer.

I choosed 2.x

Tears

4 Aug 25, 2008 01:17

Yes, Custom is the best choice.
Copyright is not so important, the License is. All skins available for B2evo (to my knowledge) are licensed through GPL2 meaning you are allowed to do with it whatever you want (my words).
The Copyright notice in the footer where EdB is talking about is for the content of your blog. That Copyright is yours. You can (and perhaps should) explicitly set a license so to determine what other may and may not do with your text and images.

Good luck

Form is loading...