Recent Topics

1 Jun 28, 2004 08:09    

Wouldn't you know it, I'm starting to finalize my blog site and I get an unexpected and rather vague error!

This seems to only happen on the third blog and under the Moonlight Skin.

Line: 38 Char: 36 Error: Expected ';' Code 0 URL: http://www.phoenixcolony.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

2 Jun 28, 2004 08:31

What's on line 38 of index.php?

Do you have a url that you could give me where I can see the problem?

3 Jun 28, 2004 08:41

No problem
The URl in question is http://www.phoenixcolony.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3
and line 38 reads of index.php:

if( empty($blog) )

The only blog that it has issue with is #3, all of the others are fine.
Everything works, but I get a notice that there is a script error.

4 Jun 28, 2004 09:47

It just means that you haven't got any posts in that blog to display...

5 Jun 28, 2004 09:50

But I don't have any to display in any of them. <shrugs>
I'll carry on with it, it's not stopping anything I just can't help trying to track down anomalies.

Thanks Gentlemen.

- M

6 Jun 28, 2004 10:18

All the blogs look exactly the same as each other to me ("No posts to display").

7 Jun 28, 2004 10:59

Heck of an issue ya got there! Does it show up in ANY other skin? Just asking even though I'm pretty sure you're sure it's only Moonrise.

I observe that when I reload that page I get a bit of page load before the error - Archives gets written as a link but the error shows up before the calendar is made. My troubleshooting mind tells me that's a clue of some sort. Have you done any file customization yet? Also what version, and have you hacked anything outside the skins folder?

It's probably not in the index file or nothing would work. Scuse me - I mean the error would be across all skins/blogs. Besides, there's no such thing as character 36 in the line you copied. That's just a reference to the page with the error - not the source of the error. Same with the skin - Moonrise is either gonna do it or not and you have one in four blogs (all of which are empty) failing. Hmmmm.

You could tinker a bit. Go into blog 3 and change the parameters in there. Descriptions, name - that type of stuff. Just to see what happens! I can't think of why anything in that area would give you this problem, but (on my monitor) blog 3 is the only blog with a tagline that takes up two lines.

Another idea is to make a post. If the error goes away then it'll never come back unless you delete all your posts.

8 Jun 28, 2004 17:11

I don't see the error message at that page, using any skin. ??

9 Jun 28, 2004 17:57

Phoenecian what browser are you using? IE5.5 shows an error window if you have error reporting enabled, but Mozilla doesn't. http://wonderwinds.com/untitled2.jpg for those into seeing the error after reloading reloading the page. Just another IE misbehavior? Could be, but why IE would have an error only on blog3 using the Moonrise skin is beyond me.

10 Jun 28, 2004 18:49

Ahhh....
I was looking for a PHP error, not a JavaScript error.

The error is happening on this line:

<body onload="window.defaultStatus='Now why didn&#039 ;t you think of that?'">

(Space added to prevent phpBB from turning it into a curly quote.) The problem is that there's a single-quote in the tagline, which gets turned into a "curly quote" or "&#039;". The javascript breaks, because it hits a semicolon unexpectedly, which it reads as the end of the statement.

Fix:
Open up _main.php
Find this line:

<body onload="window.defaultStatus='<?php $Blog->disp('tagline', 'htmlattr'); ?>'">

Change it to this:

<body onload="window.defaultStatus='<?php addslashes($Blog->disp('tagline', 'raw')); ?>'">

If that fixes the problem, let us know, and version 1.1 of the moonrise skin will include this update by default.

(JavaScript is SO a second language to me!)

11 Jul 08, 2004 02:52

Ack! Sorry for taking so long to check back with you guys. A bit'o life caught up with me and had to take care of some emergency support jobs.

EdB: I am running IE 6.0 with SP1 installed. The blog is being hosted on an IIS 6.0 sever.

isaac: Unfortuantely changing that line did not work but if it is just the apostrophy that is screwing stuff up, I'll change it. There is a good chance that the person I am setting blog 3 up for will change it to suit her needs. (I'm sharing blog space with a friend of mine). One last question in regards to Moonrise, where do i find that setting to make the body wider? I'd like to extend the width to take up more or the negative space on either side.

NOTE: I removed the apostrophy and now it works like a charm.

Once again, thanks for you help and I am very sorry about the delay in updating everyone.

- Michael

12 Jul 09, 2004 00:59

Changing the width in a fixed-width style is rarely a simple thing. (I think that I did a lot of tantek celik hackery in that skin, too, so it's even more complicated for that reason.)

Open up moonrise.css, in the skins/moonrise folder. Look at the elements that have "width" rules, particularly:
#wrapper
#header
#pagebody
#sidebar
.one, .two, .three, .four, etc.
#footer

Also, you'll have to change ./img/pgbg2.bmp to accomodate the new width.

I'm a nut for commenting my code, so it's probably doable, but probably not a quick-and-easy thing.

If you get it working, why not upload the wide moonrise to the skins site? http://skins.b2evolution.net

13 Jul 09, 2004 01:58

isaac wrote:

If you get it working, why not upload the wide moonrise to the skins site? http://skins.b2evolution.net

That is a very good idea and I would be more than happy to share it with everyone. Thanks for the pointers.

Form is loading...