Recent Topics

1 Mar 11, 2009 13:47    

Not to go off-topic from this post: http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=17304

And this is one worthy to be a separate thread...

¥åßßå wrote:

I understood, but your "general posts for it alone" should be a separate blog which is also aggregated ... far less grief in the long run ;)

The way I run my blog(s) is

1st level blogs
2nd level categories
3rd level tags

I then mess with aggregate blogs to build up my various areas and tie it all together ;)

¥

I follow the same thing, Blogs > Categories > Tags.

However, I am having a hard time defining a clear line between Categories and Tags. My question then (not just for ¥) is this:

What or how do you define or separate Categories and Tags? What are your "guidelines" in determining which is a Category and which should be a Tag?

So for example, we can have the following:
Video
Movie
Trailer
Science
Health
Astronomy
Technology
Writing
Fiction
Asia
ASEAN
Philippines
Singapore
North America
Canada
USA
Mexico
Politics
Entertainment
TV Shows
Movie TV
Webisodes / Web TV
Games
MMORPG
Casual Games
Sports

Based on your personal "guidelines", how would you pick-up categories and tags from the list above?

Thanks for sharing your ideas :)

(I'm really having a hard time between the two, but I understand the concept between a Category and a Tag, I just can't draw a clear, distinct line. :p )

2 Mar 11, 2009 23:32

To me tags are dumb BUT this is how I played it when I played it:

Blogs are big-picture level distinctions. Could be based on a user_ID or a concept. Politics, Open Source Code, Photography.

Categories are more specific inside a higher level distinction, but still sort of sum up a post in one easy sentence. For example if a blog about open source apps I might say "this post is about drupal". Thus drupal would be a category. If I was comparing drupal to, for example, etomite I might cross post it into another category as well.

For tags I went with "stuff the post touches on but isn't really about". In the drupal to etomite comparison I might tag it with 'lost' because I got lost trying to decide which is better, or 'bob' because I link to my friend bob's etomite installation.

But to me since I can cross-categorize I don't really need tags. I mean, since I can have as many cats as I want and am only obligated to use one main cat, the only things tags allows me is the chance to make up a category on the fly. Unfortunately I then have to remember all the tags I've used so I don't tag this new post with "Foo" when I've actually used "foo!" on quite a few posts. That's why I bagged tagging: to me it is kinda sloppy.

I have an installation with multiple users all blogging into one blog. I tried to set up the cats so they could cross-categorize nicely, but maybe I should get tags on the simple form and leave them with only two main cats?

3 Mar 13, 2009 05:18

Yeah, I'm struggling with it myself..

Usage 1:
Categories can have sub-categories
We can post cross-categories
Leave tags alone

Usage 2:
Have 1~3 Categories only
Use Tags - as you've said "category-on-the-fly"

Usage 3:
Categories = for higher level distinction
Tags = for "stuff the post touches on but isn't really about"

Usage 4: (This one came from a friend via plurk.com)
[url=http://www.plurk.com/mikeabundo]Mike[/url]: In many magazine-style WordPress themes, categories determine *layout*, not topic.
Mike: Bloggers who use magazine themes use categories for structure and tags for search.

---

Anyone else who can share their ideas?

PS
I think we need a way to see all the tags used, like the way Blogspot does it. There's a plugin in existence, however, it's a "suggestion" plugin, not really a way to see all tags used (again aggregate-base :p hehe).

4 Mar 13, 2009 14:23

The reason why the plugin only suggests tags is because at least one person I know has 55,000+ tags, that'd be a bloody long list ;)

Having said that, I have considered adding a "show all" option to the plugin, just haven't got that far yet ;)

¥

5 Mar 26, 2009 11:42

When I do a post I will include it in up to 3 categories, mostly 2.

Im with Laicombs usage 4: Categories for structure, Tags for search (and search engine stuff...which I believe they help). In saying that I dont use tags on all of my blogs. They add work and can look messy.

6 Jul 13, 2010 23:19

I agree with EdB. I tend to stick with categories and don't care for tags.

Most of my blogging has been small scale and focused, though, so its pretty easy to keep things organized into just a few categories.

I see tags being useful on a larger blog that hits on many different topics.

Form is loading...