Recent Topics

1 Mar 20, 2009 14:31    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hello all - my first post, and its a question.

I'm having an issue embedding video in my blog. It seems that no matter how I try and code it I get the following error:

* Illegal object markup found: </embed
* (Note: To get rid of the above validation warnings, you can deactivate unwanted validation rules in your Group settings.)

This is the code I am using:

<EMBED SRC="Night_Court.mp4" WIDTH="500" HEIGHT="400" AUTOPLAY="true" CONTROLLER="true" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/"/>

One of the solutions I found after using the search feature mentioned editing the xhtml_dtd.inc.php file, but it was for an error caused by a different tag.

Am I using the wrong tags? Is there a tag that b2evo does allow to embed videos?

I'd much rather host my own videos, rather than uploading to a hosting site. Any information or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2 Mar 20, 2009 17:21

Note: To get rid of the above validation warnings, you can deactivate unwanted validation rules in your Group settings

Have you tried it?

3 Mar 20, 2009 19:53

sam2kb wrote:

Note: To get rid of the above validation warnings, you can deactivate unwanted validation rules in your Group settings

Have you tried it?

Yes. It works. But I'd rather not turn it off completely.

Is there code that is acceptable? One of the solutions for another error similar to mine required modifying a xhtml_dtd.inc.php file. Is that an option for my problem?

Or is the only solution to turn off validation rules completely?

4 Mar 20, 2009 20:43

[video:mystuff:filename.ext]

If you look at the videoplug plugin you'll probably be able to hack your needs into it, so that for example you would post "" and have the videoplug renderer turn that into the string you want in your post.

5 Mar 21, 2009 12:38

Yep, just hack for now.

Wait until Firefox 3.5 gets out of beta (FF 3.5 Beta4 will be this April 20th IIRC). I haven't tested yet but FF and Opera are the last 2 browsers not yet supporting <audio> and <video> elements.

It's an HTML5 element but Safari 4 Beta and IE8 are both supporting it already, at least according to reports.

On next issue will be, how many are going to upgrade to IE8? When FF3.5 gets release, 98% will surely upgrade.

So again, hack for now. We need to wait a little bit more before we start using <audio> and <video>.

6 Mar 21, 2009 18:59

Um... using a plugin is *not* a hack. And FF is on it's death bed. FF3 is like open source vista: crap that only fanboys will cheer for.

Plus hey it's not up to the browser to be happy with the code because the browsers will happily handle the code Magilla_Gorilla is trying to insert. b2evolution will have to decide to embrace html5 after html5 is a real standard - not just something browsers are willing to humor. Cuz let's be real: browsers still handle *blink* right?

7 Mar 22, 2009 02:01

Well I was able to edit the plugin to add a button and insert a locally hosted video - with one problem.

I hear the audio for the clip but I am not getting video.

8 Mar 22, 2009 11:31

As an aside, from the stats of a site I maintain 26% of IE users are still using IE6, I think you're dreaming if you think you'll be able to use html 5 in any form of main stream manner within the next 5 years

¥

9 Apr 01, 2009 01:15

So, Ed, if FF is on its deathbed, what are you saying will be the best surviving browser?

10 Apr 01, 2009 01:32

A wee bit OT eh?

I had just read something that sorta put a good wrap on that topic. Basically FF did what it did by not having any past to concern itself with. A fresh slate yah? They don't have that anymore. Stuff like google's chrome, which I personally don't like the look of although I didn't give it much time, is at the fresh-slate stage. FF is now where their 'competition' (IE) was: we got a user base with expectations and we want to add stuff which folk will consider feature creep but we don't want to just sit here because folk will consider that the end of our line.

FF3 totally sucked when it's popup - 2 days AFTER I told it 'never' - responded to a keystroke and installed itself. I spent the next couple of hours learning how to 'downgrade' back to FF2. It would sit there forever trying to finish loading reasonably normal and common web sites! I never had an opportunity to say "but will my extensions and addons work" before committing, which is part of why I didn't want to commit to trying it.

With newer stuff, like chrome for example, I have no pre-conceived notions of how it should work "for me" because it has no past with me ... yet.

So what comes next is a mystery to me. Might be FF3.5 for all I know. I doubt it'll be IE8 unless they're going to change their business model and allow free addons and extensions ... and MS chooses to not bundle their browser with their operating system.

Form is loading...