Recent Topics

1 Aug 18, 2010 09:04    

I'm busy migrating content over, so it's not entirely complete yet, but hey:

www.schoolofpuppetry.com.au

Using b2evo 3.3.1, a whole bunch of plugins, a few hacks, and a lovely design made especially for me.

Let me know what you think!

2 Aug 18, 2010 21:04

You might want to take alook at your navigation menu links. For me in IE8 and Firefox 3.6.8, About and Tutorials (the two with drop downs) appear twice and overlap other of the links depending on how the browser window is sized.

3 Aug 18, 2010 21:22

Ah crap, I thought I'd solved that... what screen resolution are you using?

5 Aug 21, 2010 07:40

Thanks webfesto. Can you have a look at it now and let me know if it's fixed?

6 Aug 21, 2010 11:05

Still broke and probably caused by the   in this snippet ( similar after your tutorials link )

<ul id="nav"><li><a href="/about.php">ABOUT</a><ul><li></li>&nbsp;<li>

¥

7 Aug 21, 2010 11:13

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. I'll be fixing it later, I've been sidetracked on another project.

Actually I doubt it's the nbsp; . Because of the drop down lists, I actually have two overlapping menus and if it's not aligned exactly spot on it looks like crap. My solution so far has been to limit the body's max width, but I had the max set too high, and haven't accounted properly for smaller width screens.

Damn, I wish all computers were the same. Even when you get cross-browsers right, you've still got to deal with screen res.

8 Aug 27, 2010 23:27

Hi na3 -

Sorry I missed your reply before. Sounds like you're still working on it. I've got Notify me when a reply is posted checked now, so I'll be able to test for you if you post when you make some more changes.

9 Aug 29, 2010 15:19

That's ok. You're right, I'm still trying to fit it. I tested getting rid of the overlapping menus, which worked great up until I viewed the site in IE and Safari and saw that I'd have to add in browser specific CSS to get them to look right... and it wouldn't have solved the issue of viewing in a smaller screen res. than I am.

Sigh... it's something on the backburner for the moment whilst I work on other things. I note that recent stats say people view using screen res. higher than 1024x1280 and over time it's increasing, so hopefully a minority of people will have issues but the majority won't.

10 Sep 23, 2010 14:09

I've finally taken some time to fix the menus. They're not perfect, but it will do. If you're using anything but Firefox the menus won't quite look right - it's better than it was though.

11 Sep 23, 2010 15:07

When I look at it (Safari on a mac) the menu items on the edge of the black (videos and contact) are half are mostly in the white background and therefore don't show up.

Cheers
Lee

12 Sep 23, 2010 15:44

Can you post a screenshot? (Or email me one) I assume you mean the links are too far down, rather than too far left or right?

(Sigh... screen resolutions will be the death of me.)

14 Sep 23, 2010 18:33

wow looks very good!! and a great example of a non-blog b2evo-site!!

15 Oct 11, 2010 15:03

Hmm, for some reason I didn't get notified that this thread had been updated.

Thanks lturner. I'm using Safari on Windows, so the padding looks ok to me. I'll have a bit more of a fiddle and hopefully solve the thing for good.

@nomad, thanks a lot. I can't take all the credit, as I had someone create a basic design to work from, but I'm very glad that you like it. It's a vast improvement to how I used to present my content, and represents a lot of hard work, so any positive feedback is really nice to hear. :)

16 Oct 12, 2012 08:47

Looks good simple and creative but my only concirn is and please dont get me wrong but i hate it if i have to scroll the bottom scroll bar in order to see the other part of the website's content. what am trying to imply is the width is too big dont you think it might be a very good idea if you made you site width a normal screen width lets say 960px that can be viewed from all computer screens without scrolling the bottom scroll bar?

my own opinion and i think if it upsets me it might also upset other tink about it admin but otherwise the site is great. simple stright to the point.

17 Oct 12, 2012 08:57

Thanks 50r for your feedback. As it happens I'm redesigning the site as we speak.

The site as it is currently was designed with the most common screen resolutions in use (probably at the time of a year or more ago). http://www.screen-resolution.com/common-screen-resolutions.php
'Normal' screen are bigger than 960px. (Actually I have a wider screen than the site is designed for originally too)
I do agree with you, but with limited time and me being a self-taught designer, I went with the average size purely out of convenience. The new design I'm working on will definitely work on smaller screens though.

@speled340

It is a b2evo site, just with a custom template. In fact, you can see the b2evo link-back in the footer.

@ah2012

Thanks but I can't take credit for the logo. It was designed for me by a friend.

As for everyone else, thanks for the kind comments and feedback.

18 Oct 12, 2012 09:08

na3 wrote:

The site as it is currently was designed with the most common screen resolutions in use (probably at the time of a year or more ago). http://www.screen-resolution.com/common-screen-resolutions.php
'Normal' screen are bigger than 960px. (Actually I have a wider screen than the site is designed for originally too)

As some one working on websites, that means you must have had interests in computers first. for that it means you have the love for new technology like having bigger screens and other new computer stuff.

But remember one thing most of the computer using community are either using 15 to 17 inches computer screens. how many people do you think are using laptops now and how many laptops have you ever seen displaying the page more than 1000px. believe me or make a research the widely used website dimension is not more than a thousand pixels or you can make it in percentage other than pixels so it will be volatile depending on the computer screen.

19 Oct 12, 2012 10:37

You seem to have me confused with a full-time web designer. I'm a puppeteer first, which is why I have the site. As someone who also has no money to pay for a web designer, I've learned to and do, code the template myself. I'm learning as I'm going and by no means should it be expected that the design is as 100% perfect as a full-time and trained designer would make it. It's also my site, so I'm less worried about fixing everything little thing on it as compared to being more perfectionist when it comes to working for someone else.

I linked to a page which shows screen resolution stats, but I realise it was the wrong one. This is the one I meant:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

It shows an increasing trend towards larger screens, not including mobile devices. (If you *are* complaining because you're using a mobile, then good for you: I don't have an iPhone or anything similar and as I haven't learned anything about style for mobiles yet, I haven't made any specific layouts for them. It's on my 'to do' list and has been for a while)

I'm not sure what you're arguing about, because I have looked at statistics which show that the large majority of people are using screen resolutions higher than 1024x768 with about 15% using 1024x768, and 1% using smaller.

My own logs of the site itself show roughly similar stats, with about 85% using higher screen res. than 1000px and about 15% with less than that. About 10% of my visitors use a mobile phone.

And again: I'm redesigning the site so it works for smaller screens. I'm AGREEING with you. I'd like to know how you came to the conclusion about the 15-17 inches though:
if you have a link to more up-to-date stats on what people are using, I'll gladly take a look at it.

20 Oct 12, 2012 15:28

Could you link to somewhere on that site that posts more up-to-date info on stats for screen resolution?

Or any other reputable source for such stats?

I don't really know where to find stats like that but a quick google suggests higher than 1000px is most popular:
https://www.google.com/search?q=most+common+screen+resolution

Otherwise, please stop attempting to flame me about something that I already told you I'm in the process of doing, and agree with. Twice.

21 Oct 19, 2012 15:23

will try and find one for you thanks

Form is loading...