Recent Topics

1 Feb 18, 2005 03:14    

[url=http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bunchofmorons.com%2F]This is W3C's Valid XHTML report for my site...[/url]

It's giving me strange errors (12 of them), such as:

Line 27, column 0: start tag was here

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5">

But, in my _main.php's code, I've ended the table?!

<b>Atom</b>: <a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'atom_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Posts') ?></a>, <a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'comments_atom_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Comments') ?></a><br />
</div>
</div>
</td>

</tr>

</table>

</center>

</body>

</html>

Then, it gives me another error relating to the <table> tags:

Line 816, column 7: end tag for element "table" which is not open

</table>

Excuse my spanish, but WTF!? I can't bloody figure out whats going on here?! As I mentioned before, there are 12 such errors... Could someone please help? My _main.php's code can be viewed [url=http://www.glpics.com/marston/main.txt]here[/url].
Thanks in advance :D.

EDIT: There may be more than 12 errors, as I am always re-doing and adding things on/to my skin. But, yeah. Just letting you know.

2 Feb 18, 2005 03:35

Um... wow. Your page looks okay in IE, but in Mozilla it just falls apart all over. One thing I see without looking too deep is that you start body, center, div id wrapper, table, but way at the end you close a table then center then body. Might be more than one table, but seeing how your page does one of those 'impressionist artist on acid' jobs in Mo makes me think it's a big part of your issue.

Also I don't know how tables react to having "div id blah" opened up inside them. Might be no problem, but it stuck out as something I'd wonder about. Classes work okay - I just don't know what the W3C says about what you can and can't put inside a table.

Mostly I'd be going after making sure each div is opening and closing at the right time. Save your main as-is and another copy to start hacking "div blahblah" to "/div" out of until you find a stray div either not closed or closed when it shouldn't have been. Easiest place to start that path is the sidebar, but anyway that's where I'd be looking.

3 Feb 18, 2005 03:43

Jesus christ!! I just noticed that too! Man, I haveta fix my damn site in mozilla now! :roll: That's computers and humans for ya'.

It was an overflow:hidden tag that I accidentally left in. Looks fine now.

4 Feb 18, 2005 03:54

Yeah much. I did a quick scan of your main - hacking out chunks to see what I could see and I did end up with a /div inside your posts loop that I think doesn't belong there and probably should be after you close your table out. Not sure though.

Oh hey the skin looks sharp by the way.

5 Feb 18, 2005 14:57

I think you meant to have a wrapper div after this, that you forgot :-
<td width="60%" align="center" valign="top">

<!-- MAIN AREA BEGINS... -->

You're closing the missing div just before the </td> which is what's throwing the errors.

?

6 Feb 18, 2005 15:56

Er, I'm actually closing a <div align> tag... but I'll try putting another wrapper in and removing the unique div... Nothing else has worked so far! :-/

7 Feb 18, 2005 16:23

!!YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

VALID XHTML AND CSS!!!

Thanks so much for the help, EdB, and ?????!!!

By the way, thanks for the compliment, EdB :D !!

8 Feb 18, 2005 17:00

No problem, glad you got it validated ;)

?

Form is loading...