Recent Topics

1 Feb 21, 2005 05:29    

1st off, thx again to edb for porting this skin to b2evo....

couple of things i'm wondering if possible.

1) is there a not too difficult way, for us coding challenged, to make the skin switch logo's when it switches display from the "regular" page (w/sidebar) to the "wide" page (no/sidebar) ?
the designs i've been playing with utilize gradients in the background and logos and the gradients for the page with sidebar and it'd be sooo much easier to blend everything together if the logo could change when the page background changed.

2) is there a way to add external links to the bloglist ?
i've given up for now with trying to incorporate some features (photo gallery for instance) into b2evo......i just mucked it up too bad when i tryed to use the techniques in the doc's and elsewhere. i can, however, make numerous scripts look like they all belong together using the kubrick skin......if i could have the bloglist AND the externals tie together somehow it'd be very nice indeed.

tia

2 Feb 22, 2005 03:45

allright, i'm not sure if i did it "right" but i've got the skin switching headers (and footers) for the wide page.

basically i did some copy and paste -
duplicated the "header" class in css and altered it to headerWide and edited the bg image to kubrickheaderwide.jpg........then i uploaded the new header image.

then i went into main.php and duplicated the php code that determines whether the wrapper or wrapperwide is called and changed it to read header and headerWide. i pasted this inside the header div.
lo and behold when i go to "read more" my new/diff logo shows.
basically did the same thing with the footer.

i'm sure that i've NOT done this exactly "right".....for 1 thing if i use 2 diff header image sizes it doesnt work correctly - i'm sure it has something to do with the php being inside the "header" div and therefore using the dimensions present in the header class (and not the new headerWide) but its a start considering i don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to most of this css and php stuff.

any further hints on what i could do to make this hack job better or any clues on the 2nd question i posed in the original post would be greatly appreciated.

3 Feb 22, 2005 07:17

What do you mean by external links?

And yes, you'd have to keep the 2 header images the same size, if they are called by the same _main.php - unless you put the header image in the background of the division i.e.

headerdiv {
background-image: url(../path../headerpic.jpg); in your .css file
}

but that's a bit tricky...

4 Feb 22, 2005 08:15

im interested in seeing your site, primarily because I sucessfully change header imsages using one index.php. the needed image is called on the fly and not in the background of a <div> tag as suggested above, (no thats not something built in, I added it) and though my images are all the same, they dont need to be (its just a matter of adding more code if I wanted them diff sizes).

If i knew exactly what you wanted to do, and could see it, it would help me to possibly help you. I looked at kubric demo and wasnt able to see where the page went wide..

if youre not, for some reason, comfortable, sharing your url here, feel free to private message it to me. I would be happy to take a look and give a hand if I can. I could paste all my little secrets here, but nah. :)

5 Feb 22, 2005 11:51

polyxena, what i mean by external is non-blog links......i would like to add a link, for instance, to a standalone photogallery that will reside on the same domain. maybe a forum later. it'd be nice if somehow these links could be attached to the bloglist instead of a seperate nav menu.

whoo, all i have is a test site at this time, its kind of a mess and has no real content, just the original posts and some copy/paste that i've done as i've tryed to figure out how b2evo and blogs in general work.
i've been spending most of my time just trying to figure out whats what and learn a little more about php and css and how to edit the skins.
i'll pm u the link tho and u can check it out....

the skins i've been working on r all built on the custom and the kubrick skin foundations tho they bear(sp) very little resemblance, in most cases, to the originals....
swamp3 is the 1 that has the seperate header and footer when u click the read more/single entry links. far as i can tell its working just fine although i only have ie6 and firefox to test them in.

6 Feb 22, 2005 12:15

got your pm.. when you wake up, go get a temporary free membership at browsercam.com ... all the browsers in the world at your disposal, and if you have lots of usable email addys (gmail -- i have 49 invites if you need a cpl) you can use it nonstop.

Form is loading...