Recent Topics

1 Mar 14, 2005 08:09    

Many of my posts are turning out longer than I expected. On the Blog_All page, how do I show only first "bit" of each post, and a "More" link to show the full post.

I'd like to be able to limit the preview on the Blog_All page by # of characters or words.

Also, how does an image file count towards the total # of characters/words?

2 Mar 14, 2005 17:29

1 picture = 1,000 words ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't know, actually, how many words are counted. My guess - 0. But what about the alt tag? or the title? Maybe those are counted.

Easy check ... make a post that only has a pic. Get word stats on the post. Try pic with title and alt blank.

Anyway ... regarding the MORE question.

Easy answer: use the "!M" quick toolbar button anywhere in your post, or manually type in <!--more-->, which is the text that the !M button adds.

I have a sneaking suspicion though, you already know this and are really asking, "Can the <!--more--> be in a different position for the 'blog all' blog, than it is for the OTHER blog in which the entry was made?"

Is this correct?

Because the blog All is simply an aggregate of posts from the individual blogs, it is just pulling the post data from the same field in the database as the parent blog. So ... you would somehow need to have TWO <!--mores--> stored in the DB ... one that would apply to the regular blog only and one for the blog ALL.

The only way I can think to accomplish this would be with a <?php ?> statement that would check blog_ID ... but it would have to go into the blog entry (since that's where the <!--more--> tag is located.

EDIT: another way might be to define another tag. I'm not certain where <!--more--> is defined or utilized, but MAYBE there's a way to define another tag and switch tags in _main instead (if blog is anything but blog all, use <!--more-->, otherwise blog is blog all and use <!--new_separator-->)?? Just an idea.

And that's the problem ... getting the php into the blog entry.

Let us know if THAT is what you're trying to do.

----

BTW ... I checked an empty entry with a picture ... alt/title=blank (entry stats: 0 words); alt=2 words (entry stats: 0 words); alt=2 words, title=2words (entry stats: 0 words). As I thought ... images do not count toward "entry word stats". :)

Form is loading...