Recent Topics

1 Sep 06, 2005 19:27    

This is from a thread in the request a hack forum.
The_Engineer wrote:

This works with mine

File name: /skins/skinname/_main.php

Put this where you want the jump to go to:

<a name="top" />

Put this where you want the jump link:

<?php
$url = sprintf("%s%s%s","http://",$HTTP_HOST,$REQUEST_URI); 
?>

<a href="<?php echo $url ?>#top">Jump to top</a>

Thats all there should be to it

Jon

An alternative method from the same thread:
John wrote:

Thank you :) , sure beats using

<a href="<?php echo regenerate_url() ?>#top" title="goto page top">top</a>

2 Sep 23, 2005 16:21

<snip>

Many thanks for this, will try it later today.

Cheers,
ahxcjb

3 Aug 04, 2006 22:48

You should use $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] and $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] instead. It's the "new" PHP way.
(just in case the above does not work, what it won't on a recent PHP installation).

4 Aug 05, 2006 03:25

@blueyed
What do you mean by "RECENT PHP installation?

The Code has worked fine in the last 3 versions of B2evo although I don't have PHP 5

5 Aug 05, 2006 03:30

It's just the register_globals setting, which you could still enable in PHP 5, but is off by default since 4.3 or 4.2 or something.

6 Aug 05, 2006 07:14

Works just fine. Thanks blueyed

7 Sep 05, 2006 15:16

While the

<?php
$url = sprintf("%s%s%s","http://",$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'],$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);
?>
<a href="<?php echo $url ?>#top" title="Jump to Page Top">Page top</a>

works fine, is there any way of converting any "&"'s in the URL to "&amp;"'s in the actual Page Top and Page Bottom links. ?

8 Sep 05, 2006 18:27

Use <?php echo htmlspecialchars($url); ?>

9 Sep 05, 2006 22:12

Thats the one... thank you blueyed

10 Aug 04, 2007 22:03

Instead of adding the jump to top link to each skin, I've incorporated it into the core, in the item_funcs.php file:

/**
 * Links to previous/next page
 * Note: remove this tag from skin template if you don't want this functionality
 * @todo move to ItemList
 */
function posts_nav_link($sep=' :: ', $prelabel='#', $nxtlabel='#', $page='')
{
    global $p, $Settings, $MainList;
$jumpurl = sprintf("%s%s%s","http://",$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'],$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);

if( !empty( $MainList->sql ) && empty($p) )
    {
        $max_paged = $MainList->total_pages;
        if( $max_paged > 1 )
        {
            previous_posts_link( $prelabel, $page );
            echo $sep.'<a href="'.$jumpurl.'#top">Jump to top</a>'.$sep;
            next_posts_link( $nxtlabel, $max_paged, $page );
        }
    }
}

Very handy! As long as I don't forget to keep including the anchor!

11 Aug 04, 2007 22:11

REQUEST_URI is only for apache installs, I you need to use script_name and query_string for IIS installs.

I actually have this mammoth inside my resource library.

function selfURL() {
	$s = empty($_SERVER['HTTPS']) ? ''
		: ($_SERVER['HTTPS'] == 'on') ? 's'
		: '';
	$protocol = strleft(strtolower($_SERVER['SERVER_PROTOCOL']), '/').$s;
	$port = ($_SERVER['SERVER_PORT'] == '80') ? ''
		: (':'.$_SERVER['SERVER_PORT']);
	$last_part = (!empty($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) ? (strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], '?') !== false ? $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] : $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'].'?') : $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'].'?'.$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']);
	return $protocol.'://'.$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'].$port.$last_part;
}

But isn't top a browser known thing, like I never thought you had to include a actual anchor for it...

12 Aug 04, 2007 22:54

I spoke too soon, because naturally it shows up in the post_nav_link at the top of my sidebar. Oops! So instead I've changed it in the _main.php file at the bottom of the bPosts div to:

<?php posts_nav_link(' :: <a href="'.$jumpurl.'#top">Jump to top</a> :: ' ); ?>

Guess I'll have to keep doing it in each skin. What I'd really like to have would be a global footer, but it's just not working out that way for me. For example, I tried to write a display_validations function, where I could then just put a 1 or 0 for each button. But it only worked on the XHTML and CSS, not on the ATOM and RSS. Also, I'd rather add the contact_link to a footer and add it to every skin. Ah, well, somewhen.

13 Aug 04, 2007 23:02

balupton wrote:

REQUEST_URI is only for apache installs, I you need to use script_name and query_string for IIS installs.

I actually have this mammoth inside my resource library.

Okay, where's the best place for it? Do I have to load down every _main.php file I have, or can I stick it in the item_funcs file, or footer, or is there a better suggestion?

But isn't top a browser known thing, like I never thought you had to include a actual anchor for it...

Not my browser. = /

14 Aug 04, 2007 23:08

Well if the other script was working then you have a apache server, so doesn't really matter, just that not everyone does, in which the function I posted comes in handy.

15 Aug 04, 2007 23:53

Well, naturally, I want it to work for everybody. Or at least for those four people who visit my blog. I think I'll be working on a comprehensive footer this weekend.

16 Aug 05, 2007 00:05

:) It will work for everyone that visits your blog, however if you re-installed your blog on a IIS server, then you will run into trouble.

Form is loading...