Recent Topics

1 Dec 09, 2005 08:49    

The lines in my statistics, are that realy valid visists from actual people, or are the hits from a robot also in there ?

Sometimes I see that many visits an hour, that it's hard to believe that that were actual people who came to visit my site.

2 Dec 09, 2005 18:15

I've found that lots of them are robots. Some are good bots (not hitting too many pages too quickly) and others are evil machines (sucking up 12 pages in 10 seconds). The reason they show up as real visitors is because they are not listed in the robots array in your conf/_stats.php file.

I added quite a few bots to that section. Someone else added bunches of aggregators to the aggregator array. My bots mostly don't come back, but I figure if they do I'll log them as bots. Except the evil bots. I ban them with tools provided by my host.

Oh plus I have a hack that gives me a tab that sorts visitors by type of hit then by IP. That way I see a bunch of direct hits from one IP, so I 'ban' it (an obsolete function of the hack) and can see what their user_agent is all about. That's how I know if they're bots, and if so if they are a good or bad bot.

EDIT: my hacks and techniques are pre-phoenix, and I've not gotten around to phoenixing them yet. Nonetheless, unidentified robots will show as directs so the answer is the same.

3 Dec 09, 2005 18:42

Ed,

The lines I'm talking about are all comming from google.com or google.be or something else.

I was talking about 'Last refering searches'
The words that I see in there are valid.
I do talk about those things.
And I know that I have a veryhigh google ranking, because I find my own site quit often when I'm looking for something. (I do talk a lot about songlyrics, and movies)

So for some reason, it can be true. And I'm shure that the rate the 'Last refering searches' are showing up is the real rate that my site is apearing in ones searchresult.

But : is every time I see it in my 'Last refering searches' a real visit, was someone clicking on the link in google to see what page was after the description...

Form is loading...