Recent Topics

1 Mar 23, 2006 17:07    

What you get with this is a customizable (via the back office) plain text field that your visitors will have to fill in before they can leave a comment. Registered bloggers are exempt from the test, as are those who've successfully left a comment already. You will be able to customize the test and answer and rejection text in your back office.

First modify your database. Using something like phpmyadmin add three fields to your settings table:

INSERT INTO `evo_settings` ( `set_name` , `set_value` )
VALUES (
'comment_test_query', 'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.'
);
VALUES (
'comment_test_value', 'Sed hendrerit dolor ac wisi lobortis auctor'
);
VALUES (
'comment_test_reject', 'Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas'
);

Edit admin/_set_general.form.php to give you fields on your settings tab to change the question and answer and rejection text:

<fieldset>
<legend><?php echo T_('Security options') ?></legend>
<?php
form_text( 'user_minpwdlen', (int)$Settings->get('user_minpwdlen'), 1, T_('Minimum password length'), T_('for users.'), 2 );
// this is for the bobobox hack
form_text( 'comment_test_query', $Settings->get('comment_test_query'), 80, T_('Turing Test Question'), '
'.T_('This is what visitors will see when they try to comment.'), 255 );
form_text( 'comment_test_value', $Settings->get('comment_test_value'), 80, T_('Turing Test Answer'), '
'.T_('This is EXACTLY what you expect them to put in the form field.'), 255 );
form_text( 'comment_test_reject', $Settings->get('comment_test_reject'), 80, T_('Failed Test Statement'), '
'.T_('This is what they see when they don\'t enter your answer correctly.'), 255 );
?>
</fieldset>

Now edit admin/b2options.php to enable customizing the question and answer and rejection text:

param( 'user_minpwdlen', 'integer', true );
$Settings->set( 'user_minpwdlen', $user_minpwdlen );
param( 'comment_test_query', 'string', true );
$Settings->set( 'comment_test_query', $comment_test_query );
param( 'comment_test_value', 'string', true );
$Settings->set( 'comment_test_value', $comment_test_value );
param( 'comment_test_reject', 'string', true );
$Settings->set( 'comment_test_reject', $comment_test_reject );
if( $Settings->updateDB() )
{
$status_update[] = T_('General settings updated.');
}

Now edit htsrv/comment_post.php to make the actual comment submission routine check the test answer.

if( $error = validate_url( $url, $comments_allowed_uri_scheme ) )
	{
		errors_add( T_('Supplied URL is invalid: ') . $error );
	}

param( 'is_human', 'string' );
if( $is_human != $Settings->get('comment_test_value') )
{
$comment_test_failed = $Settings->get('comment_test_reject');
errors_add( $comment_test_failed );
}

}

Finally, tweak the appropriate _feedback.php file, meaning the longer of the two possible versions. Do this for each long version you have if you allow skin switching.

<?php
$comment_author = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) : '';
$comment_author_email = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_email]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_email]) : '';
$comment_author_url = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_url]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_url]) : '';
// get values for the bobobox hack
$comment_test_question = $Settings->get('comment_test_query');
$comment_test_answer = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) ? $Settings->get('comment_test_value') : '';
$comment_test_wrong = $Settings->get('comment_test_reject');
?>

Further down in the same file do this, and be aware that your skin might use different class names. In fact it might be structured completely differently, so you'll have to keep an eye on the code in the area you're modifying to make sure it looks right when you're done:

if( is_logged_in() )
{ // User is logged in:
?>
<fieldset>
<div class="label"><?php echo T_('User') ?>:</div>
<div class="info">
<strong><?php $current_User->prefered_name()?>
<?php user_profile_link( ' [', ']', T_('Edit profile') ) ?>
<?php // this is for the bobobox hack ?>
<input type="hidden" name="is_human" value="<?php $comment_test_answer ?>" />
</div>
</fieldset>
<?php
}
else
{ // User is not loggued in:
form_text( 'author', $comment_author, 40, T_('Name'), '', 100, 'bComment' );

form_text( 'email', $comment_author_email, 40, T_('Email'), T_('Your email address will <strong>not</strong> be displayed on this site.'), 100, 'bComment' );

form_text( 'url', $comment_author_url, 40, T_('Site/Url'), T_('Your URL will be displayed.'), 100, 'bComment' );
form_text( 'is_human', $comment_test_answer, 40, T_('Simple Turing Test'), $comment_test_question, 100, 'bComment' );

}

That's it! Upload the 4 files and check your settings tab to customize your test question and answer and rejection text. I put the same thing on my [url=http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2006/03/23/simple_turing_test_for_0_9_1]hackblog[/url] with a bit more info about each bit. Have fun with it!!!

EDIT #2: Lotsa changes from the original posting of this. Most notably, and the reason for the second edit, is that this now works with register_globals OFF. The astute reader will find the corrective bit in the edit for htsrv/comment_post.php and will notice that it is pretty much exactly what blueyed said it would need to be. ;)

2 Mar 23, 2006 23:47

Does anyone know if other systems use a similar technique successfully? It seems like a good solution (no more intrusive than captcha). I hope it achieves the desired results.

And is this something that can be turned into a plugin easily for 1.6+?

3 Mar 24, 2006 00:46

I don't know about other systems, but I had it in place for most of the time I used the .9 generation and NEVER got comment spam. Back then I didn't add bits to the settings table and therefore couldn't control it through the back office, but the end result was the same: once in your commenting life you were expected to prove you were human.

As to being a plugin: maybe but I sort of doubt it. I have no idea how to add fields to a database table using a plugin, and I don't think there are any hooks inside the various back office tabs. I think when 1.8 comes out it'll be much more possible, but I still won't know how to alter a table upon installation of the plugin.

4 Mar 24, 2006 01:20

It will be simply possible in 1.8.

You simply have $this->Settings in your plugin and even don't have to write any UI parts (entering and saving the data) for it.

You'd just have to implement GetDefaultSettings(), DisplayCommentFormFieldset() and CommentFormSent().

5 Mar 24, 2006 02:32

sweeeeet! I'm looking forward to playing with 1.8 :D

6 Mar 30, 2006 19:28

Thanx Ed, this Turning Test is much more user friendly than a Captcha, though I noticed one little bug with the way your code checks to see whether or not the commenter needs to answer (or even view) the turing test question if they are a registered user and/or regular commenter.

Your hacks to _feedback.php first check (via the "name" cookie) if the commenter has left a previous comment and then you set the variable $comment_test_answer with the test answer if indeed commenter has previously set a "name" cookie.

Then, if the commenter is logged in, you store the $comment_test_answer in a hidden input value, but if they are NOT logged in, then they are prompted to enter the answer manually in a text input.

The problem is, it is possible for a registered user to be logged in but NOT have a cookie stored while making a previous comment (since reg'd users set a "user" cookie instead of a "name" cookie set by commenters) so the hidden form input "is_human" will have a blank value instead of the answer and the commenter will be told that they gave the wrong answer for a question they never saw.

It is also possible for a previous commenter with a successfully stored cookie to still be prompted for the turing test answer again and again because they are NOT logged in (they might not even be a registered user).

My suggestion is to first remove the code that checks whether or not the "name" cookie has been set when setting the variable $comment_test_answer.

FIND:

$comment_test_answer = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) ? $Settings->get('comment_test_value') : '';

REPLACE WITH:

$comment_test_answer = $Settings->get('comment_test_value');

Then, instead of putting the form input options (hidden or text) inside their respective pre-existing "is_logged_in()" if / else, i'd recommend adding a separate if / else specifically for the turning test like this:

<?
if ( isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) || is_logged_in() ) 
{
	?>
	<input type="hidden" name="is_human" value="<?=$comment_test_answer ?>" />
	<?
} else {
	form_text( 'is_human', $comment_test_answer, 40, T_('Simple Turing Test'), $comment_test_question, 100, 'bComment' ); 
}
?>

This checks if the commenter is either logged in OR if they have successfully posted a previous comment and set a cookie. They only see the Turing Test Question if they are not a logged in red'g user nor have the cookie set.

I put that code right above the "submit" fieldset in _feedback.php.

Thanx again Ed for this Turing Test hack.

After a few tweaks it works like a charm. B)

7 Mar 30, 2006 19:42

Hey! I noticed the same funky thing, but not until I did the hack for the phoenix alpha release. I came up with the same first-part of your answer, but a different second-part. What I went with to get the registered blogger past the test was to move where I reviewed "is_human" in comment_post.php. There is a big bit of testing that happens only when the visitor is not logged in so I figured there's where it should go.

Cool. So what I'll do is - after a fashion - double-check your method and add it to the original post above after I see that it works like you already know it does.

8 Apr 18, 2006 06:42

I tried enabling this plug-in but it didn't work.

I kept getting prompted for the "code"

the settings were:
What color is red?
red
You have to answer the question in order to prove you're a human. What color is red? Here's a hint: three letter answer.

any ideas?

9 Apr 24, 2006 20:44

Works great but as an admin I am not able to post! =(( What should I do?

10 Apr 25, 2006 00:44

esanchez wrote:

I tried enabling this plug-in but it didn't work.

the settings were:
What color is red?
red
You have to answer the question in order to prove you're a human. What color is red? Here's a hint: three letter answer.

any ideas?

Two ideas: first check the updated version of the hack. Second try to think up YOUR OWN QUESTION AND ANSWER! I had this hack a long time ago and never shared it because I figured people wouldn't bother to come up with their own text, but finally decided to go ahead and give it a go. I intentionally put nonsense in the initial installation figuring since it won't work people will HAVE TO think up their own stuff, but that didn't work. You copied my question and answer. Duh...

MarcDK wrote:

Works great but as an admin I am not able to post! =(( What should I do?

Check the initial post for two updates to the comment_post.php file. The first fixed this problem by not bothering to test registered bloggers. The second update is something people might need, but it won't affect the 'admin can't comment' problem. It would stop the hack from working for other visitors, and AFAIK it is something about server configuration.

11 May 11, 2006 22:14

this looks like one step above my head, does someone want to do it for me?

12 May 13, 2006 19:00

I think I'd be able to do this except for I can't quite figure out the first step.

EdB wrote:

First set up some fields in your database:

VALUES (
'comment_test_query', 'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.'
);

and

VALUES (
'comment_test_value', 'Sed hendrerit dolor ac wisi lobortis auctor'
);

and

VALUES (
'comment_test_reject', 'Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas'
);

Where would I find the evo_settings .php file? Or does someone have an example of what said file looks like with this hack already written in? Any help appreciated.

13 May 13, 2006 19:04

thats not a file, those are alterations you will need to make to your database.. typically accomplished with [wiki]phpmyadmin[/wiki]

14 May 13, 2006 21:22

I see. And after looking around at the phpMyAdmin tool Bluehost offers me... I'm pretty comfortable saying it's well over my head. But thanks for the tip.

15 May 13, 2006 21:30

Oh wait. Perhaps not. Although when I tried to modify the evo_settings it spat this back at me.

MySQL said:

#1072 - Key column 'comment_test_query' doesn't exist in table

16 May 13, 2006 21:32

ephender wrote:

Oh wait. Perhaps not. Although when I tried to modify the evo_settings it spat this back at me.

MySQL said:

#1072 - Key column 'comment_test_query' doesn't exist in table

thats something ed will have to reply to ...

17 May 13, 2006 21:34

It's not that hard really. Get into your phpmyadmin and on the left you should see a dropdown box where you select the database you want to work on. If you've only got one database then chances are really good it's your b2evolution database. If you've got multiple databases you have to pick the right one. You could download a copy of your conf/_config.php file to see what your database is called, or if you used Fantastico to install b2evolution you just pick the one with "_bvlt" in the name, or just select each database one at a time until you see one that has table names beginning with "evo_".

Once you find and select the right database you should see a list of table names on the left and a "table of tables" on the right - the main section of the screen. Use the bit on the left to select your evo_settings table. The stuff in the main body of the page will now change to focus on that exact table.

Next select the "SQL" tab from the top and you'll get a box with a query automagically filled in. Delete the stuff it puts there then copy the first of the three statements above and paste it in there, then click "go". Repeat for the other two statements above.

BTW once you see the detail of your 'evo_settings' table you can click browse to see all the details of what's in that table. After you've gotten all three statements above executed you can click it again to see that you've done it correctly.

Not that hard, but not super obvious either. Play carefully and give a care to what you click, but I think these instructions should get you through it.

18 May 13, 2006 21:36

I'm one post behind so I'll wait to hear from ephender again before blathering away.

19 May 13, 2006 21:58

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I'm at work for the rest of the afternoon, unfortunately, and they block my access to the Bluehost panel (probably a good thing anyway). But I'll give it another go later on tonight or tomorrow and get back with any further questions.

Again, many thanks.

20 May 13, 2006 22:53

I have probably said this already in this thread: this would be a really simple plugin, when 1.8 comes out.

Please just wait.

21 May 13, 2006 23:04

True. Although there's something to be said on behalf of learning stuff the hard way.

22 May 13, 2006 23:07

thats the spirit!!!

23 May 13, 2006 23:17

I look forward to learning how to make plugins the hard way: by making one!

(When this becomes a 1.8-plugin I will do my best to make it completely compatible with the .9.1 and 1.6 hack versions just so's those who've either used it or try to give it a go won't lose what they've gotten used to having.)

24 May 14, 2006 08:23

OK. Well, I successfully located and altered all the necessary files and the box comes up beautifully, but now I'm having the same problem as this guy did (I changed the values as appropriate):

esanchez wrote:

the settings were:
type the word "canses" here
canses
I suspect you are spam, please try again.

I mean, it works fine if I'm logged in -- don't even get the prompt for it like I'm sure I'm not supposed to. But (since I'm thorough) I tried to comment while logged out and the above is what happened.

Hopefully I didn't skip a line...?

25 May 14, 2006 08:35

Do I understand correctly that you, as admin (actually any logged in member) can't post a comment? I thought I fixed that by making it so that if you were logged in you (a) got credit for knowing the answer and (b) didn't get tested anyway. So if you're logged in and commenting is it showing you the question box? If so is it auto-filling the answer? Either way it is not allowing you to comment?

Otherwise it is possible that you are testing what a non-logged in person sees? Therefore you see the question with an empty answer box and type in the correct answer but it doesn't allow your comment? I thought I had a fix for that as well even though it was not a problem on my server configuration.

Which case do we need to fix? You are logged in and tested, or you are not logged in and not allowed to comment? Oh in both cases, of course, verify in your back office that your question, answer, and reject text are what you want them to be. The answer will be case-sensitive. "Blah" is not "blah".

26 May 14, 2006 08:48

EdB wrote:

Which case do we need to fix? You are logged in and tested, or you are not logged in and not allowed to comment? Oh in both cases, of course, verify in your back office that your question, answer, and reject text are what you want them to be. The answer will be case-sensitive. "Blah" is not "blah".

No, it does what it's supposed to if I'm logged in (i.e. doesn't even prompt me to type "human"). It's when I'm logged out that the problem arises and typing in "human," all lower case as it's entered for its database value, still brings up the screen telling me to try again.

The blog is at http://cansesclasseled.com if you want to see yourself.

27 May 14, 2006 09:44

So far we know quite a bit. You've got the database modified, and your _feedback.php is asking for the question, but it doesn't like when I type either "canses" (as it tells me to) or "human" as based on your post. You can comment when logged in, so we know (a) that part of the hack is behaving and (b) nothing else got buggered up. So all we have to fix is the bit where a random surfer wants to comment.

Let's look mostly at htsrv/comment_post.php to fix this. There are two changes to this file: one gives your custom error message, and the other supports servers that are different than mine. I see your custom error message (I suspect you are spam, please try again.), so the first part must be okay. Therefore you should verify the second part.

param( 'ishuman', 'string' ); //hack for the bobobox
param( 'author', 'string' );
param( 'email', 'string' );
param( 'url', 'string' );
param( 'comment' , 'html' );
param( 'comment_autobr', 'integer', ($comments_use_autobr == 'always') ? 1 : 0 );
param( 'comment_cookies', 'integer', 0 );

That would go very near the top of htsrv/comment_post.php, and the only actual change is the addition of the "param ishuman" bit.

Oh plus I notice you're using version 0.9.0.11. I did not test this hack with that version so it is possible it will not work for some reason or other. I suggest, even if you get the hack working, that you upgrade to version 0.9.1b. The biggest gain you will see with that upgrade is that your server will work a lot less when it rejects spammers who are listed in your local copy of the antispam database. Alternatively you could wait for the upcoming release of version 0.9.2, but either way you will lose this hack. In both cases only teeny tiny changes to your skin will be desired though not absolutely required.

28 May 14, 2006 16:23

Yep, I did the two modifications to the htsrv/comment_post.php file as written, but it still won't work for me so I suspect...

EdB wrote:

Oh plus I notice you're using version 0.9.0.11. I did not test this hack with that version so it is possible it will not work for some reason or other.

... that's the case. Although, stranger still, my Bluehost panel tells me I'm running 0.9.0.12. Of course, that could be untrue, especially since when I request an upgrade, it offers to install v. 0.9.0.12.

I suggest, even if you get the hack working, that you upgrade to version 0.9.1b.

Which version is that one, "Dawn"?

29 May 14, 2006 18:16

ephender wrote:

Which version is that one, "Dawn"?

Yes. On the downloads page it is listed as version .9.1 but when you do a mouseover on the link to the actual download you'll see it's a .9.1b, and I forget what the b was for.

30 May 14, 2006 18:54

OK, cool. Now please allow me one more probably obvious question from a newbie (and one that probably belongs in a different topic. I use Fetch to handle everything. So, once I've downloaded the 0.9.1b batch, should I just drag and drop everything from the blog folder into my public_html folder... with the exception of skins (where the files have been modified and personalized, etc.)?

31 May 14, 2006 19:05

I don't know what Fetch is, but pretty much "yes". Make sure you're starting in the local (PC) folder that has 'admin' and 'conf' and so forth, then just get them all into your server. I would start by deleting all the folders and files on your server (except skins) just to make sure you get the new ones. The FTP thing I use goes by date stamp, but sometimes the date of the newer file can be older than the date you unzipped the package, meaning if you don't delete your server files you'll have the older one.

Aw crap I always do this. Download your server version of conf/_config.php because it contains your database connection data. You will want to edit the new one before you upload. 4 lines for your database connection, one line for your baseurl, one line for your email addy, and one line saying "config_is_done".

Another important file to keep is conf/hacks.php IF you've written one. If you didn't actually create it then it doesn't exist, but if you have then for sure make sure you have a copy before deleting all your server side files.

I would also suggest uploading the newest version of skins/custom because IF something goes wrong you will want to ask yourself "does the official custom skin work?" before tearing your hair out. If your skin uses that name then simply rename the folder and after you're successful you will be able to select your skin by it's new name from the back office.

Once all the new stuff is on your server you need to go to "domain.tld/path_to_blog/install/ and tell it you are upgrading from a different version of b2evolution. All your posts and comments are stored in your database, so this option will tell b2evolution to NOT try to install new stuff. It'll only do the changes you need done.

After that you'll have to start over with any hacks you did that are outside skins and conf/hacks.php, meaning core file hacks. Like this one!

32 May 14, 2006 19:22

OK. I understand that all and am going through the process of revising each file. And I rewrote all the necessary bits in the conf/_config.php file, so that should be fine.

The only part I'm not sure I get is this:

EdB wrote:

Once all the new stuff is on your server you need to go to "domain.tld/path_to_blog/install/ and tell it you are upgrading from a different version of b2evolution. All your posts and comments are stored in your database, so this option will tell b2evolution to NOT try to install new stuff. It'll only do the changes you need done.

Is this something else I need to do using phpMyAdmin or something. I thank you in advance for your patience.

33 May 14, 2006 19:41

Oops. Never mind. I figured it out.

Awsome! Looks like the formatting all took! And the hack now works correctly -- well, I mean, I presume it will once I re-hack it on the various .php files. So does the YouTube one I added some time ago, which was the only other hack I've added so far. (Now this is the something I was talking about earlier with regards to "learning it the hard way.")

Thank you a g-d ton for walking me through this. If I had points, I'd send them your way.

EDIT: Damn, I spoke too soon. It's still behaving as though the correct answer (human) is incorrect. I'm stumped, but since I turned trackbacks/pingbacks off, I'm not as hellbent on installing this hack.

34 May 14, 2006 23:23

I tried re-entering the values on Explorer (I'm a Mac user and usually use Safari), just to see if that changed things, but no dice.

So at this point I'm thinking it just won't work for my page, for whatever reason. Could there be something in my custom skin working against it?

35 May 15, 2006 16:49

I'm thinking it's probably not your skin. I'm leaning towards a term I used to know I didn't understand but just got reminded I should know about: register globals. I've no idea what it means, but I'll be their OFF with your host.

I'm hoping SOMEONE explains why my hacks suck when register globals are off, and how to make this work in that case.

I think!

I don't really know because I don't really know, ya know?

36 May 15, 2006 20:12

EdB: without register_globals (which is highly recommended), variables do not get automatically registered as globals.

This means: you have to query $_POST['param'], $_GET['param'], .. or with b2evo just use the param() function, e.g. "param( 'var1', 'string', '' )" would create a global $var1 and if there's nothing from GET, POST or COOKIE, it gets initialised to an empty string.

37 May 16, 2006 00:41

Waaay above my head, but since turning off trackbacks/pingbacks, I haven't gotten any spam lately.

(Of course, I as also wrong upthread about the YouTube business. My old posts are unaffected, but I found just now, while trying to post a new video, that I have to reallow the <object> and <param> tags but have since forgotten exactly how. Should be simple, right?)

38 May 16, 2006 00:59

ephender wrote:

(Of course, I as also wrong upthread about the YouTube business. My old posts are unaffected, but I found just now, while trying to post a new video, that I have to reallow the <object> and <param> tags but have since forgotten exactly how. Should be simple, right?)

God. [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=7818]Of course it was[/url]... and now [url=http://cansesclasseled.com/index.php?blog=1&title=ligchat_ecoutant_la_musiquel_ig&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1]it works again[/url]. I have a habit of posting about five minutes sooner than I ought.

39 May 16, 2006 19:44

Can I configure the words that are served?

Why yes I can, its in the admin section. I found it.

How often should this be changed? in people's experience

40 May 17, 2006 21:10

Well it 'looks as though I can configure the words in the test, but when I hit save - it doesn't update to the simple stuff I wrote, but keeps the latin stuff....

Is this a database problem, or file config problem?

41 May 19, 2006 20:38

i have just successfully installed Ed's turing test hack, on v.0.9.1. i have a couple of notes:

it is true that, if register_globals is set to OFF on your server, the hack will not work. it will fail at the point where the actual test occurs, and always return a negative response. my solution to this was to put an .htaccess file in my blog directory, with this in it:

<IfModule mod_php4.c>
	php_flag register_globals on
</IfModule>

second, someone on a [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=7528]related thread[/url] has suggested putting this:

{
      $Messages->add( $Settings->get('comment_test_reject') );
   } 

in the comment_post.php, right around line 87, where the errors get set up. as written, it doesn't play nice with the working code, and ed's version works:

{
		$comment_test_failed = $Settings->get('comment_test_reject');
		errors_add( $comment_test_failed );
	}

if something goes unexpectedly wonky past this point, i'll report. all seems well for now.

42 May 19, 2006 21:05

I've got to get a handle on this! Now I know how to turn off register globals, so that'll allow me to make mine fail. Once I make mine fail I'll be able to see how to make it work again. Problem is I don't have a .9.1 or 1.6 installation to play with. I am now working on some of my older hackage for the .9.2 release, so that'll be where I go. The database is identical so hopefully the hack will carry forward, but it's got to work for ALL users else it's another lame "it works for me" hack. I try to not be lame ... publicly ;)

43 May 22, 2006 00:53

HOORAY!!!

Finally had some time to tinker with this. Used the sample.htaccess bit to turn off $register_globals in my test installation and (of course) got the same problem as people were noticing. Installed the corrective action blueyed suggested and (of course) it works.

The first post in the thread is now the latest and greatest version. AFAIK all issues have been corrected. I also put the "edit this then that" into the order they'll show up in a directory listing just because it seems cool that way.

Oh and it works with Sparkle (0.9.2) as well.

44 May 23, 2006 02:01

Looks like there's an issue with one of the lines in the comment_post.php file? (For me, anyway.)

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: checkaicode() in /home/cansescl/public_html/htsrv/comment_post.php on line 103

I didn't count the lines, but that would seem to be approximately where the hack code was inserted. I went back to check that my database values were still there as before, and sure enough they were.

Seems strange, should work.

45 May 24, 2006 01:35

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: checkaicode() in /home/cansescl/public_html/htsrv/comment_post.php on line 103

The function "checkaicode" doesn't exist in either this hack or b2evolution, so it makes sense that it causes a problem for you. Sorry, but I've no solution for you.

46 May 25, 2006 00:47

It's all good. I'll sit tight for 1.8, et al.

47 Jun 01, 2006 20:27

That fixe made it work for me! thanks, maybe this will finally cut some of the spammers off.

48 Jun 01, 2006 20:55

I RARELY get comments, but I certainly don't get automated comments. I'll be surprised if you (a) come up with a reasonable question and answer, and (b) suffer from any automated spam. I got ONE spam-like comment, but it was obvious the person really was a human out there. It tried to relate it's linkage to the post it commented on. I - of course - deleted/banned/reported the url it tried to post. It forgot to put :// in it's link. Duh... Anyway hopefully this hack serves you as well as it's served me. I've got trackbacks turned off so I get no spam from that direction. I block referer spam with a combination of .htaccess for the major keywords and (of course) the antispam central system.

49 Aug 10, 2006 22:20

I have it working in one skin - but I've applied a different skin to one of my blogs and that second skin (weddings blog - lt333gray) doesn't show the turing test field and gives a 404 when trying to leave comments. Any idea where this went astray?

http://neilcowley.com/b2/index.php/wedding/2006/06/27/chapel_hill_wedding#comments - direct link to try and comment on the new skin

http://neilcowley.com/b2/index.php/thoughts/2006/08/07/philosophy_of_a_monk_turned_taylor#comments - old/standard skin with comments working....

50 Aug 10, 2006 23:43

l33t_gray was a funky skin. She pulled out all the stops to make it be what it is. Still you should be able to get this going, though I haven't tried it in that skin.

Did you modify skins/_feedback.php or skins/yourskin/_feedback.php for the skin it's working in? In the case of l33t_gray you will have to check out skins/l33t_gray/_feedback.php and see what the author did to make the form fields happen, then sort of tweak this hack to make it match.

I'll download the skin but no promises on getting time to work on this. Mostly my b2evolution time goes to skin-related stuff for 1.8, and the antispam stuff I do. I'm not even sure if my test installation of 0.9.2 has this hack in it or not, so that would be another roadblock to me giving you some help with this.

51 Aug 10, 2006 23:57

I had looked at skins/_feedback.php and its a standard (blank) skin file. OOPS, I wasn't careful in which file I had selected to open. The Gray skin does use a custom file. I'm going to delete it and see what happens to my CSS.

I'd rather you give me some places to look for problems than you spend time figuring out for me. I don't have a coding background, but I can usually dig up small things like this.

>>>
Works fine now, I just deleted the edited _feedback.php - sorry for not being careful the first time :oops:

52 Aug 11, 2006 00:09

Glad to hear you got it working!

53 Sep 01, 2006 06:36

I tried setting this up again.

after I set up my question & answer,

my answer shows up on the "Text Box" ... it is automatically put there.

I attached my feedback file.

Also, could you post a link to the latest version of this hack. The first post on this thread has some code, then there are some comments to add/modify some lines, and lots of comments... I am not sure what the final version looks lile.

My Evo version 0.9.1

The hack is currently on my site if you want to see it.

54 Sep 01, 2006 07:24

I got it working - after a few hours of tweaking it.

If anybody wants a copy of my php files. let me know.

It got tricky.

Thanks.

Edgar

55 Sep 13, 2007 03:38

@ EdB
This works fine in v2.0.0 alpha

56 Jul 17, 2008 06:56

I got this working. I am still using .9.0.1 and over the past 6 weeks there has been a ton of comment spam.

This below is the code I used in the second change to _feedback.php around line 200. It is a little different to that posted at the start of this thread perhaps because my b2evolution version is even older and does not use php to produce the feedback form.

The minor changes I made are in red.

<?php
if( is_logged_in() )
{ // User is logged in:
?>
<fieldset>
<div class="label"><?php echo T_('User') ?>:</div>
<div class="info">
<strong><?php $current_User->prefered_name()?></strong>
<?php user_profile_link( ' [', ']', T_('Edit profile') ) ?>
<?php // this is for the bobobox hack Takemoto ?>
<input type="hidden" name="is_human" value="<?php $comment_test_answer ?>" />
</div>
</fieldset>
<?php
}
else
{ // User is not loggued in:
?>
<fieldset>
<div class="label"><label for="author"><?php echo T_('Name') ?>:</label></div>
<div class="input">
<input type="text" name="author" id="author" value="<?php echo $comment_author ?>" size="40" tabindex="1" class="bComment" /></div>
<?php // this is for the bobobox hack
form_text( 'is_human', $comment_test_answer, 40, T_('Simple Test'), "\n<BR/>".$comment_test_question, 100, 'bComment' ); ?>
</fieldset>

The guy that installed b2evolution for me installed it in my root directory so I am not sure which files are b2 evolution and which are not, and just the fact that I had it installed for me means that I am less inclided to upgrade. Till the comment spam started it was not necessary anyway. But now with this Turing Test I may be able to use .9 for another 10 years, assuming I am alive for that long.

Thank you EdB!

57 Jul 17, 2008 07:06

You're welcome, but I'm going to lock this thread because stuff about obsolete versions shouldn't rise to the top.

You really need to upgrade.

Form is loading...