Recent Topics

1 Nov 30, 2006 14:39    

A few weeks ago I posted a message in the Spam section asking if anyone else was seeing Search Referrer traffic with queries such as

"powered by b2evolution" "leave a comment" "remember me" "Allowed XHTML tags:"

"powered by B2Evolution" "Your URL will be displayed."

powered by b2Evolution Comment text:

Then yesterday I saw a bunch more of these come in, this time all regarding "powered by b2evolution 1.8.5". (I thought maybe it was one of the developers ego searching)

This morning I found out my blog had been hacked!!!! The index.php file was replaced and a whole slew of things had been uploaded to my Media folder with names like Citibank.com, etc. Apparently the intent is to become a mirror for phishing attacks. I was DLing some of the files so that I would have a snapshot of the hacked state and discovered that one of the uploaded files was a virus in disguise.

According to my server log all of this was done through the *removed* by passing in a remote script URL script as one of the parameters files.

*removed*

This script (attached) executes a bunch of code and uploads some files, then includes another remote script that tries to run a bunch of commands against the OS.

So apparently the *removed* file (possibly others) allows for the *removed* to be set to an arbitrary URL, and then for arbitrary PHP to be executed.

Obviously some of this could be avoided if the server was running PHP 5.2 with the allow_url_include parameter set to Off, but my host is running an earlier version which only supports the allow_url_fopen parameter allowing all or none remote operations (even like reading remote data sources) which was previously enabled by default.

For now I've removed the *removed* folder, Actually, I think I need to take the whole site offline since I can't remove many of the files that were uploaded in the hack because they were CHMODed. I'll have to have my host do it for me. Oh, did I mention that some of the files are actually viruses? Yeah, this is awesome. Hopefully my host will report that only my account was affected.

See attached ZIP (*removed*) for a copy of the new index page (in MHT format to preserve images and styling) along with copies of some of the scripts that were run (as text files), a few lines from my server log files to show the forensic details and a list of affected files.

*edited* to remove details that other kiddie scripters can abuse.

please see [url=http://b2evolution.net/news/2006/11/30/security_alert_import_mt_php]this post[/url] for details and fix

2 Nov 30, 2006 15:08

Funny you should mention this....
I found TWO instances of this... the referrer being alltheweb.com

-"powered by b2evolution" "leave a comment" "Allowed XHTML tags:" -"Enter this code:" -"Captcha code:" -"Enter code:"

I'm interested in any other feedback on this and what files could be considered risky.

3 Nov 30, 2006 15:21

I'd recommend deleting or renaming import-mt.php for now. I'm still looking over my error logs, but that appears to be the only file that they went after.

4 Nov 30, 2006 15:27

It's amusing to note that they are looking for installations without the captcha plugin installed.

Note that the referrers that I saw yesterday were only looking for "powered by b2evolution 1.8.5", and not the comment form, though earlier referrer searches did contain the comment form portion of the query. The fact that they successfully hacked my install using the import-my.php file and still are looking for comment forms would lead me to believe that in addition to the hack that they used with my installation they also think there is a possibility of exploiting some perceived vulnerability with the comment forms.

5 Nov 30, 2006 15:42

if you are happy with this message : I'm just recovering from my hack as well...

also 0.9 blogs were affected..

6 Nov 30, 2006 15:50

The only file I always delete is the install file, but based on your post I have also deleted the import-mt.php

I still look forward to what the developers have to say.

7 Nov 30, 2006 15:55

Thanks for the heads up, this is currently being looked into

¥

8 Nov 30, 2006 16:38

Hi,

xangelusx I emailed you. Thanks again :)

I have issued an alert here:
http://b2evolution.net/news/2006/11/30/security_alert_import_mt_php

Because this thread gives clues as to how to replay the attack whereas the alert only gives minimal curing instructions, I strongly advise everyone to link to the altert instead of this thread when mentioning this issue.

Let's not make it any easier than needed for anyone else to pick up on the exploit.

9 Nov 30, 2006 16:56

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. My host informs me that they have just about cleaned everything up.

I sent off emails to Citibank and my domain registrar explaining what happened in case people start recieving fraudulant emails with my domain name as the target.

Hopefully I'll be back up and running by this evening.

10 Nov 30, 2006 17:01

Oh, and do you think there is any potential exploit involving the comment form as might be indicated by those versions of the referral search strings?

One final thought - If a patch to import-mt.php is not possible/practicle, then perhaps in a future version you could add a variable to the file that would need to be manually changed (i.e. 0 -> 1) in order to use the import script. This would prevent the attack from being able to occur if people just overlooked the file. You could also add a comment near this variable that would remind people to delete the file or reset the flag after they are done.

11 Nov 30, 2006 17:50

With the latest investigation, 0.9.x version appear to NOT be affected. A little relief ;)

I will package secured versions of b2evo later tonight.

Expect these: 1.9.1, 1.8.6.

12 Nov 30, 2006 19:00

Dunno if its related to this, but when I accessed the folder to delete the import.php file, I found this error log file in the same folder with this content...

[30-Nov-2006 08:29:11] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  is_logged_in() in /home/xxxxx/public_html/donblog/inc/CONTROL/imports/import-mt.php on line 112

[30-Nov-2006 11:08:10] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  is_logged_in() in /home/xxxxx/public_html/donblog/inc/CONTROL/imports/import-mt.php on line 112

I've replaced my root folder name above with xxxxx for privacy reasons

I was nowhere near my blog virtually at both the timestamps (IST). Anything relevant ?

(you don't need it. It is only used *during* the import if you have migrated from MT to b2evo).

The above is from FPs Security Alert on b2evo site. Just curious, why not make the import script as an on-demand downloadable plug-in rather than in the default package :?:

13 Dec 01, 2006 06:39

I'm using 1.8.5 and checked the: /blogs/inc/CONTROL/imports directory but import-mt.php wasn't there. I did find a file called momix.php with yesterday's date stamp...I didn't put it there, and it's a strange file. I deleted it, do you think I was hacked...my blog seems fine.

Checking the rest of the install directory and so far no other strange files.

TIA

14 Dec 01, 2006 07:51

That file name doesn't belong there. Lots of information flew around today. I got confused. Something makes me think you should check your media folders for anything odd. In fact if I were you I'd play it real safe and dump everything on the server and upload them all over again from my local copy. I'd probably be freaked out enough to do the deleting from my host's file manager instead of through my FTP thingie.

15 Dec 01, 2006 08:27

EdB;

Yes, hacked real bad...! That file contained: r57shell.php, a php shell program and a spamming tool. Once executed, it allows the hacker to view and modify all files on your account and to execute arbitrary commands on the server.

My hosting company is doing a complete restore right now. Once done, they told me to change all my passwords....what a mess.

Looks like they were able to download most of my site.

16 Dec 01, 2006 15:41

EdB wrote:

That file name doesn't belong there. Lots of information flew around today. I got confused. Something makes me think you should check your media folders for anything odd. In fact if I were you I'd play it real safe and dump everything on the server and upload them all over again from my local copy. I'd probably be freaked out enough to do the deleting from my host's file manager instead of through my FTP thingie.

That's what I ended up doing too. Just to be safe.

17 Dec 02, 2006 00:42

Is there any list of the files that have been changed/updated from 1.9.0 to the security patched 1.9.1?

18 Dec 02, 2006 04:32

I'm about to merge 1.9.1 into my 1.9 editor with Beyond Compare (a G-R-E-A-T file comparison and merging tool by the way. Great for merging b2evo updates into a customized install). I'll make a diff report and PM it to you.

19 Dec 02, 2006 04:33

PS: Will the downloads page be updated with the new version soon?

20 Dec 02, 2006 07:35

xang>

I'll make a diff report and PM it to you.

Pls send me a copy too. I just UPgraded from Dawn to 1.8.5 and can make use of the changed details to avoid a major reinstall :-)

Btw, Beyond is a great tool which I've been using for a while now. I installed WinMerge about a month back and found it to be actually better in some features.

21 Dec 03, 2006 05:17

Donthecat wrote:

Pls send me a copy too. I just UPgraded from Dawn to 1.8.5 and can make use of the changed details to avoid a major reinstall :-)

Sorry, I completely flaked when I go to merging files and forgot to make the report before hand. There was quite a few files that changed, though many of them were just cosmetic changes to the files and small updates not related to the hack.

22 Apr 14, 2007 10:24

I got hacked with this exact pfishing exploit tonight using 1.9.2. In the security alert... here:

http://b2evolution.net/news/2006/11/30/security_alert_import_mt_php

it says.

In b2evo versions 1.x, delete this file from your server:
/blogs/inc/CONTROL/imports/import-mt.php

In b2evo versions 0.9.x, you don't need to do anything, you're not affected by this issue.

This was a phishing installation done with this exploit:

/media/blogs/info/confirm/bankofamerica/updateacc/e-online-banking/

I will delete that import-mt.php on all future installations (that whole thing is now deleted by IT manager) , but my question is... since this occured on 1.9.2 is deleting that movable type import file going to fix it?

23 Apr 15, 2007 10:32

AFAIK that security hole has been closed since 1.9.1 so it shouldn't be the source of your troubles.

Do you run any other software such as forums ?

¥

Form is loading...