Recent Topics

1 Jan 04, 2007 09:52    

Hi,

I'm on shared hosting with cpanel and fantastico and recently my cpanel said that I could upgrade my b2 version.

I went to my cpanel - fantastico and clicked on the upgrade for b2 and the warning message says that I should upgrade ONLY IF I haven't installed MODS on my b2 or modified files, etc. Now, as it happens, I have only just installed the excellent autoblog plugin by fralenuvol.

What must I do? can I go ahead with the upgrade? What do I risk? Does this mean that I will never be able to upgrade?

Thanks for ANY feedback.

2 Jan 04, 2007 10:11

When you installed autoblog all you did was upload a plugin file (folder?) - correct? Assuming this to be true upgrading will not hurt your plugin. That does NOT mean upgrading via fantastico won't though, because I am not really sure how it upgrades.

IF fantastico deletes files then installs new ones you'll lose your plugin file/folder, but can replace it as easily as you first installed it. That, by the way, is what I assume fantastico does. Delete and replace files.

The thing to really worry about is your database. AFAIK fantastico doesn't do anything to your database other than upgrade the bits that need upgrading. Therefore all your blog numbers and posts and whatnots will survive the upgrade process.

My suggestion is that you first backup your files and database. Use an FTP program of some sort to download all your files so that you'll have them if fantastico messes something up. Second you need to backup a copy of your database before you upgrade. Ideally you do this at the same time so that you know "these files go with this database". I use cpanel's "backup" utility for backing up a database because it is the easiest way to restore it if you need to.

Anyway if you backup everything now and fantastico does something really bad to your installation you'll be able to restore everything back to what you have now.

3 Jan 04, 2007 18:58

Thanks EdB for reading and replying. Appreciate it.

I'll do what you say and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Form is loading...