Recent Topics

1 Dec 17, 2010 09:33    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

When i edit my post and save, the excerpt still stays same.. isn't it supposed to be updated as well ?

2 Dec 17, 2010 11:56

Excerpts get generated from content only when you create a post.
If you really mean 'save', then try to disable avatars plugin.

3 Dec 17, 2010 14:11

sam2kb wrote:

Excerpts get generated from content only when you create a post.
If you really mean 'save', then try to disable avatars plugin.

so what does it have to do with avatars plugin ? i think excerpts should be regenerated when you edit/save a post.. since you could change the post content to a whole another thing some other time.

4 Dec 17, 2010 15:34

A checkbox to autocreate excerpt is ok. Disabling the avatars won't help in your case, I thought the form was not saving.

5 Dec 18, 2010 18:28

Guessing it's an auto-generated excerpt, in which case I agree, it should auto-regenerate, without a checkbox.

If it's a custom/deliberate excerpt then you'd have custom/deliberately changed it again when you updated your post, in which case you still don't need a checkbox ;)

¥

6 Dec 18, 2010 18:50

How will b2evo know if you want to keep an empty, custom or auto-generated excerpt without a checkbox?

7 Dec 18, 2010 19:12

Custom is easy ... if you have a value in the excerpt, on any save, then it's custom ... if it changes after that, it's custom, if it doesn't it's still custom

Auto-generated is, almost, as easy, if a skin is set to show excerpts for disp type and excerpt is empty then there's a high chance you want to auto generate it

¥

8 Dec 18, 2010 19:28

I was wrong, excerpts get auto-generated on post update too [u]if you leave the field empty[/u].
What if I want to keep it empty, that's the problem.

9 Dec 18, 2010 23:52

sam2kb wrote:

I was wrong, excerpts get auto-generated on post update too [u]if you leave the field empty[/u].

correct. but i have to clear the excerpt to regenerate after editing the post

10 Mar 25, 2012 12:57

I know this is an old post but I have the same problem. That is, the excerpt is not updated. So what I do is start a post and then I may have to save it and come back to it later. I may then edit the post further. The excerpt does not update. Is this resolved? Many thanks.

11 Mar 25, 2012 13:47

It's not "resolved" since it's not "broken".
It's just that you and i happen to dislike the default behaviour.

The fix should be easy though (i suppose)

or maybe update the excerpt with new edited content unless the user clicks on excerpt textare (kinda like the url field does)

12 Apr 25, 2012 09:51

Thanks for that, I'll have a go. I disagree though that this is not an issue that needs changing. I would wager that most people would want their excerpt updated when they edit a post. What if you make a typo, what if you change the flow of info, what if you change the meaning of the post itself? I can't see why anyone would not want an excerpt to update.

13 Apr 25, 2012 14:31

If we decide to make a setting for that, what do you want it to do?
Will something like "generate excerpt whenever a post is saved" work?

14 Mar 12, 2013 18:42

Sorry for digging a kinda old topic, but this thing started bothering me again.
I honestly think the default behavior should be auto-update (like the url being updated when you change the title, unless you edit it manually)
The same should apply to excerpt, it should be regenerated upon save unless edited manually.

I mean for example i started a draft, wrote an opening line, saved it (the excerpt has that, and that ONLY.) If i add more sentences upon 2nd save, or change the opening line, the excerpt stays same, which doesnt make any sense to me.

15 Apr 29, 2013 20:45

Yeap! Support tilqicom and ¥abba on this

16 Apr 29, 2013 22:05

ok, we'll change it to auto update until you edit it manually.

17 Apr 29, 2013 23:54

Thanks
Can you tell me what code I can add to 4.1.7?
There's a function [update_excerpt()] in can I call it each time a post/page is edited

19 Apr 30, 2013 15:04

Thanks tilqicom

Downloaded, installed and working.

:)

Form is loading...