Recent Topics

1 Jan 17, 2016 13:02    

So sorry, if I am doing something wrong and it has been answered. I tried searching and could not find an answer in the manuals or the forums.

My problem is on a brand new install. (using ehost.com hosting and their one click install) The version installed is 6.6.6-stable released on 11/17/15.... the site is located here: http://www.ssbn656.com

When I make a new post it will make a link like this on the front page http://ssbn656.com/news/ and it appears clickable but clicking it brings up a 404 page. I am thinking this has something to do with what ever slugs are but I am very new to this and I am still learning about this scripts set. Do I have something set wrong in settings? Or am I making posts wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Have a great day
Jim

2 Jan 18, 2016 06:05

I think I fixed it....

The issue was new posts on the HOME blog, and Categories in the right hand list of HOME where throwing up a 404 when clicked.

I renamed the sample.htaccess file to .htaccess and it works now. I'm not sure what it did but those links now produce the proper page.

An interesting side note, when I renamed that file I can no longer see it in my server home directory. I guess they hide those files on ehost.com hosting.

Hopefully this post will help someone else experiencing a similar issue.

Have a great day
Jim

3 Jan 18, 2016 06:08

Just curious.... why are some posts marked "Community" and others are marked "Public" In a support forum wouldn't you want all posts to be public to help folks find fixes fast?

-Jim

4 Jan 18, 2016 17:31

Hi @nemo656,

Welcome to the forums.

Just curious.... why are some posts marked "Community" and others are marked "Public" In a support forum wouldn't you want all posts to be public to help folks find fixes fast?

Two main reasons:

1. Spam control.
  2. A first barrier between information disclosure and the wild internet. Our users usually share screenshots, debug info, etc, so we can evaluate how potentially dangerous could be to publicly publish that info before to actually do it.

However, on "Community" status, all the logged in users can read the posts/comments and send their answers.

5 Jan 19, 2016 08:11

Thank you for the great explanation. I now understand.

-Jim

6 Sep 03, 2016 08:16

Hey nemo656, thank you!! I am a newbie, and flying by the seat of my pants on this blog launch on my own site, doing it myself with rudimentary knowledge. And your solution worked awesome. I can now publish my posts and not get the 404 error.

Thank you!!

Thora

Form is loading...