Recent Topics

1 Dec 02, 2006 14:12    

Hi,

after so far having created client side pages only I am getting into server side stuff and am a complete newbie so please have mercy on me

questions are how can I raise the maximum file size limit and how can I permit specific additional file types for user uploads

I host at powweb.com which offered an instant installer feature for this blog that is of b2evo v 0.9.2 so I would really like to keep this version and I don't want to mess anything up since I am not familiar with php source code which I guess I will have to access to make the desired changes

so in case someone here could give me instructions on how to implement these changes I would appreciate that very much

everything else looks fine as I am customizing the blog so far I can only say that this looks like a perfect solution for me

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Bernhard

2 Dec 02, 2006 15:16

I don't have a 0.9.2 handy, but it's probably similar enough. Crack open /conf/_advanced.php and look for a piece of code that looks like this ( approx line 535 ) :

/**
 * Admin can configure max file upload size, but he won't be able to set it higher than this "max max" value.
 */
$upload_maxmaxkb = 2048;

Just change the value as required.

¥

3 Dec 02, 2006 15:44

I found it in admin.php although after some thought I guess I will update to 1.8.5 and then deal with these issues (gritting my teeth) but I guess it's better to change version now than possibly later on when I would also have to deal with doing backups of posts and settings

anyway thanks for your kind reply and wish me luck :)

Bernhard

5 Dec 07, 2006 21:14

well thanks again gonna install tomorrow

okay is it just me or does the link to the Anne version on the download page not work?

otherwise I will go with an older version since updating it with the patch sounds managable too

7 Dec 10, 2006 01:07

woohoo I just installed Anne right now

after installation I deleted the install folder and renamed sample.htaccess to .htaccess although I couldn't find a second sample.htaccess file nor the 'admin' folder where it is supposed to be according to the instructions here so I only renamed the file in the root folder of the blog since it was the only one I could find on my webspace - also checked my hosting provider that states they allow uploading .htaccess file but

'For security purposes, we do not allow any of the Options features of the .htaccess AllowOverride directive on our servers. Including these in your .htaccess file will cause Internal Server errors'

so was renaming the file the right thing to do?

and is there anything else that I need to do except of course for customizing the blog in backoffice?

(read something somewhere about a security issue concerning the mysql password so well again is there anything else to do or can I just go on and customize the blog now)

T-H-A-N-K-S

8 Dec 10, 2006 01:20

one last question back on topic too

seems I can't raise allowed max filesize for uploads in backoffice above 2048 kb ... well my hosting provider said they don't have a general php/webserver file size limit although uploading larger files might cause a connection timeout so I could and should be able to raise file size in the backoffice above 2048 kb no?

(1.8.6)

well thanks again I figure I will invest a lot of time into customizing the blog and will try to figure out whatever further issues might arise by myself but your answers to the questions above would be very appreciated so thanks

9 Dec 10, 2006 01:25

The admin folder is a thing of the past. Can you show the link that talks about it so we can try to elevate the issue? Also since your host doesn't like the sample.htaccess file simply delete it or rename it to sample.htaccess again.

I can't help with the file size limit right now. "It's a setting in the back office" is all I know.

10 Dec 10, 2006 01:43

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Tricky_stuff mentions a sample.htaccess in an 'admin' folder

okay deleted .htaccess and as for file size a wild guess considering me not knowing anything but could it be that choice is limited in backoffice just to prevent possible errors with webservers that do have a general upload max file size limit in the settings of php?

anyway my host seems to allow whatever file size but backoffice only allows me to enter 2048 kb as max filesize so I am a bit confused as for that now

11 Dec 10, 2006 02:48

See $upload_maxmaxkb in /conf/_advanced.php, which limits the max used by b2evo.

12 Dec 11, 2006 19:58

found it thanks and am customizing the blog now

as for the outdated info about TWO sample.htaccess files and an ADMIN folder as far as I remember it is also mentioned like that in the sample posts on the blog after installation so the info could be updated there too

again thanks big time for all your quick and precise help

13 Dec 12, 2006 21:35

I've fixed the sample post in CVS, but it will not occur in 1.9.x, because translation strings are already frozen there.

Form is loading...