Recent Topics

1 Jan 16, 2007 17:37    

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I could find nothing I thought more suitable.
I have not been able to find one blogging-tool that suits my needs, so now I'm wondering if this will. If I want, for example a two column layout for my site, can I make so that b2 is ONLY controlling the main column, my blog. And in the sidebar I could have links and stuff that I edit myself via my coding. This much I finally managed to achieve with Wordpress, but what I couldn't get working was if I wanted, say, archive links in the sidebar it would just f things up..
So, is this easier in b2evolution?
Can I make the script fit my website instead of having to fit my website around the script?
Thanks.

2 Jan 16, 2007 22:38

You're asking two questions here, so you'll get two answers. Fair? Yes you can edit a file to manually add links to your sidebar but it's really not hard to use the linkblog to create your linkblog, and yes you can also add an archives section to it but I wouldn't do that one manually since b2evolution can do that without issue, and yes you can have both hand-coded and b2evolution-generated content in the sidebar.

Whether or not you can make the software fit your web instead of the other way around depends entirely on what your web looks like and how much you're willing to edit files to get it done. b2evolution is designed to generate web pages, so that's what it does. Trying to grab a little piece of it and display it inside an existing .php page (gotta be because .html won't generate content at the server) usually results in the page having 2 <head> sections. I think it's easier to make the web fit the application IF you want to use the application.

3 Jan 17, 2007 14:54

But I could just (see this is what I sort of did with Wordpress I think) in the b2header file add an inclusion to include my own header file? I could still keep the essentials but for all the styling and stuffs, I could just link to my own stylesheets and coding?

Because the ultimate solution would be if I could include my own header in the b2 coding, and in my website coding make small inclusions for boxes of, say, archives and search boxes...

4 Jan 18, 2007 11:01

Basically (sorry for double-posting) the most important thing is that I don't have to change anything in the b2 files to change my layout. I want to be able to change my layout with images, stylesheets etc. in my own coding that has nothing to do with b2 because my site should be more than just a blog.

5 Jan 18, 2007 11:33

The two programs are quite different, so comparing them is bound to cause problems for you. For example there is no such thing as a b2header file. I don't know if WP has something like that, but b2evolution doesn't.

There is an option in b2evo to allow user-specific style sheets, but I don't think that's what you're after. What you can do is edit your skins/yourskin/_main.php file to call your style sheet instead of the one that comes with the skin, then either add to it to cover the definitions b2evo would look for or edit the skin you use to call definitions you've already got.

Anyway it comes back to wanting to use a web-page generator to add content to an existing web page. It's do-able, but I don't know how the people who do it get it done. One day I'm going to have to figure out how they do it because it's something that comes up often enough. Like adding your archives to your main page. Even though, as I said, it's much easier to make b2evo display your main page as-is and add an archives link than using your existing framework and tucking in a little bit of b2evo.

BTW if you think of it as a blog app you're limiting yourself. It's basically a blog on the verge of being a content management system, and all web pages are nothing more than content managed in some way. I don't know about WP but suspect they too are more than meets the eye.

6 Jan 18, 2007 12:46

I think I'm still gonna try to !use my existing framework and tuck in a little bit of b2evo" :) There doesn't seem to be any other softwares out there that is exactly what I want either, and this seems to be the best in every other aspect.. If you come up withs omething, please let me know :)

Form is loading...