Recent Topics

1 Feb 10, 2007 15:07    

My b2evolution Version: 1.9.2

Hello b2evolution community,

I am a newbie in blogging despite running my own website several years now. I like to try new things with my homepage and after a litte search and crossreading I installed b2evolution 1.9.2 "Kyoto" on my webspace a few days ago. After some additional reading via google and especially in this forum at random and through the search function there are some remaining questions left I would like to get answered before I could make my last modifications and launch my site officially and start blogging...

1) I would like to use a hit- or click-counter for links and downloads. Some redirect-php script, which uses an ID in a textfile or a MySQL table to log (with IP-blocking function?) how often a links was clicked. And... I would like to display the number of hits after the link...

Ah... and I would prefer to open the clicked links in a new window.

Additionally it would be interesting to display a toplist for most viewed links in the sidebar.

2) Is it possible to display some text / links / pictures etc. in the sidebar for users only... some personal stuff only for those visitors who are logged in.

3) I would like to customize the beginning of each post, where the category of the actual posting is displayed. I want the category not in bold letters and additionally I want to display the blog where the article was posted is displayed (in fron of the category), too.

4) How is it possible to exchange the XML Feeds text with small pictures?

Hmm, I think that´s all for now...

Who can help me out?

I would be very glad to get at least some answers...

Thank you in advance...

Daniel

2 Feb 12, 2007 03:42

Daniel,
Welcome to the forum!

1) That function is not built in, but it is possible with a plugin. In fact, one of the developers has the plugin started and in use on his site. I'll hassle him a bit tomorrow and see if he can get something released.

2), 3) and 4) can all be done by editing the skin.

Open up /skins/[whatever skin you're using]/_main.php and get familiar with this file. It is how the blog is displayed and this is where your changes will go. Are you pretty comfortable with php? If so, then you'll find your way around this file quickly. If not, it's a great way to learn. Read the comments and experiment. [url=http://manual.b2evolution.net/Edit_evoskins]Here's a good manual page to start with[/url]. Let me kow what you think. I'll be happy to give you some more specific help if you like.

3 Feb 12, 2007 10:58

Hi again,

1) [u]click-counter[/u]
Can´t wait to get this plugin in my hands to try it intensely... :D

It´s good to hear, that my promlems 2 to 4 are resolvable in general... I have a litte experience in html, php and css but I´m not an expert. So I will try to specify my questions more precisely:

2) [u]personal stuff only for those visitors who are logged in[/u]
Here I tried some stuff but nothing works so far... I think I have to add my privat stuff somewhere around <h3><?php echo T_('Misc') ?></h3> where e.g. the edit profil etc. is located... but I can´t only add stuff in the _main.php, right? I have to edit the _user.funcs.php... Hmm, seems a little bit tricky, but well commented - so I will give it a shot later that day...

3) [u]customizing bSmallHead[/u]
3a) After experimenting a little while, I now understand that my main category is displayed bold and all other dedicated categories are in normal text... but I want it underlined and normal... nothing should be bold there... Which entry in the custom.css is it I have to modify?
3b) I want to display the blog where the article was posted... what exactly have I to add in my _main.php in the <div class="bSmallHead"> paragraph? $Item->???
3c) Are there other things I could display at the beginning of each post?
3d) By using the custom skin, which line in custom.css I have to edit to modify the space after the posting headline? I´ve tried some thing, but nothing worked so far...

4) Here I have found the section in my _main.php; I will experiment on that later...

Thanks yery much in advance for all answers...
Daniel

4 Feb 12, 2007 14:28

Daniel,

I've started my campaign of nagging about the download plugin. Were you wanting this to work for all links, or just for downloading files?

2) I have something kind of like this in my skin:

if( is_logged_in() ){
$yourname = $current_User->get('preferredname');
$id = $current_User->ID;
echo "Hi, $yourname.";
}
else {
echo "Hi, guest.";
} ?>

If you have several users who will each need something different, you can do a switch using the id.

Also, could you post the url to your site? I can give more specific help if I can see the site in progress.

5 Feb 12, 2007 15:53

Thanks personman for your quick replies.

[1]

Concerning the click-counter I want to use it for all external links (in my linkblog) as well as for all (upcoming) downloads included in my postings.

For my opinion it simply would be nice not only knowing how much hits your permanent links got, but how many clicks the links [u]and[/u] downloads get, which should be viewable directly on the blog overview pages just behind the link / download.

Especially nice would be one or two Top10 Lists (for the sidebar), where automatically the top 10 links and top 10 downloads are shown.

[2]

Concerning my "restricted request", your hint seems to be working well... I will experiment a little bit with that, but for now it this "problem" seems to be solved! Thanks!

And sure I could post my URL but the site is in german... http://www.chaoszone.de/blog/

Thanks,
Daniel

6 Feb 12, 2007 17:24

1) The plugin I was talking about only does download links. To get all outbound links you'll probably need some kind of javascript solution. That's not a feature that most bloggers need. I think it's more of a business feature. It would be possible to hire the AstonishMe devs to code something like this for you.

3a) Add this into your custom.css:

.bSmallHead strong {
  font-weight: normal;
  text-decoration: underline;
}

3b)

<?php echo $Item->Blog->shortname; ?>

3c) If you want to get an idea of what's possible, add this:

<?php pre_dump($Item) ?>

That will spit out a big, ugly list of all the information held in the Item object.

3d) The space is actually coming from the <p> below the title, but you don't want to mess with that, so try this:

h3.bTitle {
  margin-bottom: -15px;
}

7 Feb 12, 2007 18:01

Wow... that is great... a community with fast answers... :D

1) A plugin for download links would be an interesting beginning. But what is so difficult to rewrite something like that for outbound links, too? I´m not good enough to know much about that, but I don´t understand the difference.

What do you mean by "to hire the AstonishMe devs"? Who is that?

2) Should be solved.

3a) Seems to work, besides that I used no underlines for all links (text-decoration: none), so it doesn´t funtion however the way you proposed...

3b) That doesn´t seem to work...

<div class="bSmallHead">
		<?php
			$Item->permanent_link( '#icon#' );
			echo ' ';
			$Item->issue_time();
			echo ', ', T_('Categories'), ': ';
			$Item->categories();
			echo ', ';
			$Item->Blog->shortname;
		//	$Item->wordcount();
		//	echo ' '.T_('words');
		//	echo ' ';
		//	$Item->views();
		//	echo ' &nbsp; ';
		//	locale_flag( $Item->locale, 'h10px' );
		?>
		</div>

3c) ...results in bool(false) when integrating somewhere in my page :(

3d) ...works perfectly! :D

8 Feb 12, 2007 18:13

1) The main difference is that the downloads plugin works within posts. You'll probably want to track all outbound links whether they're in a post, in a linkblog, or hard-coded into your skin.

Sorry, I should have explained myself, AstonishMe is a company that writes a lot of plugins for free and provides a lot of support for free, but they're also available to hire for contract work: www.astonishme.co.uk

3a) Should work. Put my code at the bottom of the custom.css file. It will override your default link style, but only inside the bSmallHead div.

3b) You left off the echo. It should be echo $Item->Blog->shortname

3c) where you put the pre_dump($Item) will make a difference. put it right above the <div class="bSmallHead"> and see if that works

9 Feb 12, 2007 20:31

1) Yes, to be completely frre would be good, but I probably want to use the hit-counter for my linkblock and links & downloads in postings...

Concerning www.astonishme.co.uk I will have a look...

3a) Doesn´t work this way either...

3b) Works now... is it also possible to link it with the right blog not only show it?

3c) Works... will scan it through carefully...

10 Feb 12, 2007 20:36

Regarding 3a, I looked at your custom.css and I don't see that code. Perhaps you removed it when it didn't work. Can you put it in so that I can take a look and see what's going wrong?

12 Feb 12, 2007 20:40

Hmm... by the way... when everybody familiar with my file structure can download the files directly... is there a way to forbid this? Is this not security relevant?

13 Feb 12, 2007 20:53

Try this:

.bSmallHead strong a { 
}

That extra a should make sure it overrides the previous style. It was looking right in Firefox, but not in IE, that's why we were seeing two different things (if you were using Internet Explorer).

None of the php files can be downloaded. Click [url=http://www.chaoszone.de/blog/conf/_advanced.php]this link[/url] and you should just see a message saying not to access it directly.

14 Feb 12, 2007 21:04

Ok, wonderfull... 3a now solved as well... and yes... I forgot to tell that I´m using IE6 - sorry.

Remaining open problems... only one respectively two in this posting :lol:

1) click-counter... here I will contact the AstonishMe devs probably tomorrow... but nevertheless the download counter would be a nice start...
2) should be solved... here I have to experiment a little bit...
3a) solved!
3b) works now... is it also possible to link the mentioning of the blog with the blog itself?
3c) works... will scan it through carefully...
3d) works perfectly!
4) here I have to experiment a little bit...

Regarding download and php... you are of course right... godd this way B)

15 Feb 12, 2007 21:14

Try this for 3b):

echo '<a href="'.$Item->Blog->get( 'url', 'raw' ).'">'.$Item->Blog->shortname.'</a>';

16 Feb 12, 2007 21:54

Ok right... works fine; even with an underline B)

...but I get a line break after Blog: - how could I avoid that?

[u]_main.php[/u]

<div class="bSmallHead">
		<?php
			$Item->permanent_link( '#icon#' );
			echo ' ';
			$Item->issue_time();
			echo ', ', T_('Categories'), ': ';
			$Item->categories();
		//	$Item->wordcount();
		//	echo ' '.T_('words');
		//	echo ' ';
		//	$Item->views();
		//	echo ' &nbsp; ';
		//	locale_flag( $Item->locale, 'h10px' );
			echo ', Blog: ';
		?>
		</div>
		<div class="bSmallHeadBlog">
		<?php
			echo '<a href="'.$Item->Blog->get( 'url', 'raw' ).'">'.$Item->Blog->shortname.'</a>';
		?>
		</div>

[u]custom.css[/u]

.bSmallHead {
	font-size: 80%;
	color: #999;
	margin: 2ex 0 1ex 0;
}
.bSmallHead strong a { 
}
.bSmallHeadBlog a { 
	font-size: 80%;
	color: #999;
	margin: 2ex 0 1ex 0;
}

I´ve seen that you have a random pic on your blog sidebar. Do you have used the Random Pic in Sidebar linked to Blog Entry function described here (http://www.randsco.com/index.php/2005/03/06/random_picture)? If yes, could you please take a look at my question in http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=3147 as well?

17 Feb 12, 2007 22:30

div is a block level xhtml element, which means if you wrap something in a div, like you did for the blog title, it's going to insert a line break. Change it to a span and the line break will go away. No, I use Menalto Gallery for my random image block, sorry.

18 Feb 12, 2007 22:44

Ok, one more thing I have learned today :D Thanks!

19 Feb 15, 2007 04:16

I have a real newbee question. Just updated to the new version and my bookmark that allows me to post in the sidebar of my browser does not work any more. Any ideas?

Form is loading...