Recent Topics

1 Feb 17, 2007 16:08    

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.x

Hello,

I'm in the process of starting over with an installation of the newest release of B2. I am installing it inside a seperate folder to the existing blog I am running.

I would like to save the time of copy/pasting 277 posts by some how importing or transfering the posts over to the new setup, obviously keeping the original posting dates too.

I would like to keep the comments and other settings inside the admin login, although with the latter I fiqure I could just open both and copy across, easy enough.

Would I need to use PHPmyadmin to delete the older database once I have installed the new and eventually deleted the old too? I don't really want to close the site, would prefer a smooth transistion.

Sorry for all the questions, hope you can help.

Cheers,

Mark

2 Feb 17, 2007 16:42

So let's see. 0.9.* is not the newest version so you might want to consider starting with 1.8.7 or 1.9.2 at this particular moment. Also what was your previous blog engine? 0.9.2 can import from some blog engines that later versions can't. Anyway without knowing what blog engine you're updating from it's impossible to say "just do this" because every database is built differently. Heck even saying "import from *whatever* is risky because if the developers here were working from version A and you are running version B it's possible that your version won't import as you would hope it would.

A suggestion, if importing from whatever you were using is not a realistic option, is to begin anew with a post that says something like "Here's all the old stuff" and giving links to either the entire installation or some sort of archive system.

Alternatively you could try to build an importer. It's not easy, but it's not impossible. You would have to be pretty sharp with databases and php to get it done.

3 Apr 24, 2007 18:52

I set up b2evo v 0.9.0.12 for my blog (www.greatestultimate.com) a few weeks ago.
Then realized there is a new version of b2evo. So, I installed the new version (1.9.3) - (www.greatestultimate.com/weblog2/).

Now, I would prefer to do the following:
Backup both databases.
Import ALL posts from the old database to the new one.
discontinue using the old database all together.

Please advise,
b17

4 Apr 25, 2007 00:50

That's not going to be easy. Instead of installing the new version in addition to the old one, you should have simply upgraded the old one. Unfortunately that's not where you're at, so ...

I guess what you do now depends on how much stuff you have in the old and new databases. Assuming the newer installation is the smaller one you should upgrade your old installation, then manually move posts and comments from the new one to the old one.

Sorry, but that's the best solution to your situation I can think of. You will avoid all possible conflicts based on post ID, author ID, post URL title, and whatever else might conflict between the two databases.

5 Apr 25, 2007 20:26

ok, if thats what I need to do... ill do it.

I wasnt confident in the upgrade process.. so I created the new database.

Please advise how to upgrade from the old to the new version.

b

6 Apr 25, 2007 22:50

Have you tried searching the forums or the manual for how to upgrade? It's been covered many times is the thing, but I'll do it again. Note that this is my way of upgrading. There are others. I just happen to do it this way.

Backup your database and files. Just in case...

Pay particular attention to having your conf/_config.php (or conf/_basic_config.php file backed up because you really need it, and your media folder backed up because you really want it.

Download the latest version from the downloads page. Linked above under the download tab. Unzip it on your computer and look for blogs/conf/_basic_config.php file.

Open the OLD config file and the new one in a reasonably nice editor. MS Word is not a nice editor. Notepad will do if that's all you have, but downloading something free and sort of smart (like HTML Kit for example) is a better idea. Anyway edit the two files and copy the database connection info (3 or 4 lines), your baseurl value (1 line), your admin email address (1 line), then change $config_is_done from a 0 to a 1. Save the new version.

Delete all the files from your server. All the b2evolution files is what I mean, and you can leave your media folder there if you want to. In fact it's probably easier to not delete your media folder, but do delete all the other files that are part of your existing b2evolution installation.

Oh crap I always leave out hacks.php if you have one, so back it up and prepare to upload it again, but since you're going from 0.9.* to 1.9.3 your hacks file is probably useless. IF you have one! If not ignore this bit.

Anyway now that you have the new version with your database connection info on your computer, and all the old files deleted from your server, go ahead and upload all the new stuff to your server. Including the install folder.

Now go to your_domain.com/your_path_if_any/install/index.php and tell it you're upgrading - not the default answer of 'new installation' - and let it run. If all goes well, and it usually does, it'll do this and that to all your tables so that your tables will match the files you just uploaded.

Assuming everything seems to work you should be able to log in with your usual login name and password, then see your blog in a browser.

Oh and your old skin won't work. Not sure if I said that already, but your old skin won't work. Easiest way to have it again is to take an existing skin and customize to be what you want. Not so easy is to force yours to become compatible with the new way of doing skins.

Hope it helps!

Oh crap one more thing! After it's all done upgrading you should delete your install folder. Actually you can leave it there as long as you delete all the files except the index.html and phpinfo.php files. It used to be part of the instructions and I still do it even though I'm pretty sure it's not part of the instructions anymore.

7 May 01, 2007 15:21

ok EdB, thanks for the method. I will give it a whirl.

Question:
Once I upgrade the old database... wouldnt i, in theory be able to import these posts to the new blog I set up. Im just trying to cut my config time down to a minimum.

Also, I cannot get the blog by email to work.
Its a POP3 account, Port 110

I cannot figure out how to assign the correct "default category"... so I dont have it set. When I set it I always get an error thrown. This should be a drop down box with all the available categories in them... rather than a blank text box which allows for too many user errors.
Thoughts? advice? ridicule? bring it on!!

Form is loading...