I ran into a strange problem tonight, and I figured I'd report it..
I attempted to make a post to my blog and was greeted with the parse error claiming my HTML was invalid. The HTML that it presented to me had escaped all of the quotes on the attributes within the html elements.
<a href=\"/blah\">asdf</a> <!-- instead of the obvious -->
After a while of hunting the culprit down I came accross the following:
I'm guessing the system I'm being hosted on had just updated it's php.ini. I figure it was a side effect of updating the cPanel install, but the result ended up placing both magic_quotes_sybase and magic_quotes_gpc in the php.ini file.
magic_quotes_gpc = "On"
magic_quotes_sybase = "Off"
Not being a php fan, I had to look up the get_ini function to see what it did and saw that it returns the value of the option and not a boolean 'is enabled' type value. So, the fix was quick and easy,