Recent Topics

1 Apr 12, 2008 19:19    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Greetings,
I read in the installation instructions that I should set the permissions on these 2 directories to 777. But then I read on the page

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Directory_and_file_permissions

the following: "The exact permissions you want to give to those folders depend on your web host setup. You may want to give full access "0777" but that may not be very secure."

I understand that these 2 directories need to be writable. But do they also need read and/or execute permissions? And if not, then is it best to use 777 during installation, then set the permissions downward, or just set them downward prior to installation?

Thank you very much!
Elchanan

2 Apr 13, 2008 02:24

Hi VLM,

Welcome to the forums.

You can try to install without setting any filepermission other than default. During (the first steps of the installation) B2evolution will try to write to /blogs/conf/_basic_config.php If it can you are fine, if it cannot it will warn accordingly. You should then change the permission for this file (and this file only) After installation you can set the permission back.
If you are on a shared host you will probably have to change the permission prior to successful installation.

No you have a blog and the B2evolution engine allows you to upload images. These are stored in the /media/ folders. It can only write to these folders if the permissions are set correctly. So you want to have a look at that after you installed your blog.

Hope this helps,

Good luck

3 Apr 13, 2008 05:56

Hi Afwas,

Thank you very much for your welcome and for your kind reply.

I understand, from the instructions and from your reply that permssions for the file /blogs/conf/_basic_config.php must be set to 666 (write and execute across the board).

I also understand that the /media/... folders need write permissions in order for B2E to upload images. But do I need to leave the read and execute permissions on for these folders, as well, following installation? That's really what I'm asking ... I think.

The installation instructions at

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Install_b2evolution

suggest changing to 777 the permissions on

/blogs
/blogs/media
/blogs/media/blogs

before installation, to achieve various results ... to allow creation of blog stub files, to upload images and other media from b2evo's backoffice, and to allow uploading files, respectively. I understand that none of these permissions is required, only if I wish to allow these actions by hte program.

But in the additional documentation at

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Directory_and_file_permissions#.2Fblogs.2Fmedia.2F_sub-directories

I find:
___
The following directories need to be writable by the webserver:

* /blogs/media/blogs (Base directory for blogs)
* /blogs/media/users (Base directory for users)

The exact permissions you want to give to those folders depend on your web host setup. You may want to give full access "0777" but that may not be very secure.
___
"Not very secure" sounds not entirely desirable to me. So the intent of my inquiry is this: Do I need ot set these to 777 during installation, or just turn on write permissions? And if 777 during installation, can I turn off the read and/or execute permissions for some or all of these folders following installation? In other words, does "writable" mean literally write permissions, or more?

I hope I'm more clear and thorough in my request this time. I am not particularly knowledgeable about UNIX/Linux permissions, and I realize my question may seem quite elementary. My apology if this is so.

Thanks again so very much!

Elchanan

4 Apr 13, 2008 06:12

Exactly what you set media/ and media/blogs/ and media/users/ to will depend entirely on your host, but yes you will change them and leave them that way. To what you will change them is unknown, but for me with 2 hosts currently in use nothing but 777 works. In truth I've never tried anything else so perhaps I should see if some other random combination works yah?

5 Apr 13, 2008 06:21

Okay now I know 775 works for me on one of the servers I use :)

Form is loading...