Recent Topics

1 Mar 29, 2009 12:58    

I would like to know, from anyone who has a moment, why does it seem to be so important to upgrade your B2evo version?

Is there anything (actually) wrong with just keeping the version that is otherwise working for you and you're happy with?

Pros and cons please?

2 Mar 29, 2009 13:33

There is no real reason to upgrade if your happy with your current set of features.

The only exception to this is if the upgrade has a strong SECURITY purpose.

I don't know your version, but 2.4.6 is stable, tested, reliable and secure.

Any 3# versions are still beta, have issues and upgrade isn't required or recommended until a final release when you will be able to make a judgement on additional features and the value of upgrading.

So, no, an upgrade isn't essential if your currently happy with your version.

3 Mar 29, 2009 13:38

Thanks for the reply.

The blog Ive worked on for the longest is 2.3.0. I started out being diligent about upgrades but really, its such a mission that Im getting behind and really dont want to know.

What security issues can one have?

4 Mar 29, 2009 13:51

Read the News Posts about releases and the extent of work required for an upgrade.
Many of the 2# version upgrades are limited file updates only and therefore pretty simple and quick and often don;t effect skins at all.

The biggest leap is going from 2.3 to 2.4.
http://b2evolution.net/news/2008/01/23/b2evo-2-4-0-venetian-released
It was pretty painless
Upgrades for the 2.4 series were all mostly limited file uploads. ( ie no database changes etc.)

When you find the time it's worth it.

5 Mar 29, 2009 14:15

If my "customising" didnt venture outside the skin folder it wouldnt be a problem, but they do, for miles.

You're saying it gets easier?

6 Mar 29, 2009 14:26

Read the release notes for the 2.4 series
If I recall, most of the updates are just a few file uploads.

If all is going well and your happy with what you have, don't sweat it too much....
Blogging is supposed to be about "content" more than engines and bell's n whistles

7 Mar 29, 2009 14:32

:) Thank you.

I daresay i'll continue to torment myself over it but was keen to know just how much I should be.

8 Mar 29, 2009 15:54

I still using a 1.10.3 version on one blog and a 2.4.5 on an other blog.
I will update the 2.4.x to 3.1.x because I need a new feature (manually order category).
I'll keep my 1.10.3 for now because I do not need any new feature. I do not have time to update skins and this version of b2evo is faster than 2.4 to display articles.

9 Mar 29, 2009 15:58

Gosh it's been a heck of a long time since there was a security-related release. Mostly it's just new features and potentially new issues. So if you like what you got then stick with it.

OTOH people who come to the forums asking for help with an obsolete version should be ready to hear "sorry but that is obsolete and pretty much no one cares much about it anymore". Kind of a logical conundrum though eh? Like, if you're happy with it why would you need help with it?

10 Apr 13, 2009 18:49

You can use the [url=http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.php]release history[/url] as a rough guide to upgrading urgency ;)

Basically:
-green: no need to worry
-yellow: you're good if you know what you're doing
-red: I'd never keep that version in production myself

I believe that over the last 3 years you've been able to get away with upgrading just once a year. However we recommend you upgrade a tad more often, just to be safe. Especially since 2.x where upgrades have been greatly simplified.

Form is loading...