Recent Topics

1 Jun 17, 2009 22:09    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I have a small part of the andreas_01 skin I would like to tweak.

If I use a widget in the "Page Top" section, the widget lines up perfect with the top of the main page. However, I don't use a "Page Top" widget, which is my preference, the next widget is pushed down the page a bit. How can I change this? Below is my broken-up URL to show my issue.

2 Jun 18, 2009 03:32

http://libertymage.com/ ;)

I'm not sure where the Page Top container is in that skin, and I'm not seeing where any single container (or one-widget container) is pushed down in any way that looks un-natural.

IF the linked title and blog tagline are in the Page Top container (which is sort of logical but containers aren't logical by default), and removing those two widgets still leaves a gap at the top of the page, and you're not interested in ever using that container, then it's not so hard. Edit your skin's file(s) and remove any reference to the Page Top container. It'll be something.main.php file name and the specific bit will be kinda obvious in that it will say it is the page top container.

Then you would have to reload the skin via your global settings -> skins subtab.

Alternatively if you want to maybe keep the container after ditching the widgets you can look to your style sheet for some help with the space. Again assuming it is the title and tagline area, then you want to make sure your style sheet doesn't give any margin or padding for the #header div. Specifically, removing the 20px from the margin will do the deed ... assuming I've guessed correctly at the issue. If not then it is probably something else :)

3 Jun 18, 2009 18:06

Wouldn't commenting out the Top Page portion of the index.php do the same thing?

4 Jun 18, 2009 19:06

Actually yes - it would! Remove or comment out - your choice. Depends on your skin though, so we should refer to *.main.php to catch the 3 or 4 that might be there.

Leaving it in the *.main.php file and tweaking your style sheet gives you the easy option later on of using that container.

Choices are cool!

5 Jun 18, 2009 21:27

After re-reading this post, I think I may have explained the problem incorrectly the first time.

The problem isn't that the overall main page is pushed down. The problem is just with the left column. If you look at my page, the right column lines up perfectly with the posts portion of the main page and the separating lines. The left column is down a few pixels. The left column is what I am looking to raise up a bit. Sorry if I made that confusing.

6 Jun 18, 2009 21:42

Easiest is to use a blank widget in the container. ust add a FreeHTML widget with no content at all or of that doesn't work, simply add

in the content field.

Good luck

7 Jun 18, 2009 22:15

That bumped the column down even further :P

8 Jun 18, 2009 23:48

OK, I had a closer look.
Simply comment out the part that generates

<div class="PageTop bSideItem"></div>

should do the trick. In /skins/andreas_1/index.main.php change to:

<!--
	<div class="PageTop bSideItem">

<?php

// ------------------------- "Page Top" CONTAINER EMBEDDED HERE --------------------------

// Display container and contents:

skin_container( NT_('Page Top'), array(

// The following params will be used as defaults for widgets included in this container:

'block_start'         => '<div class="$wi_class$">',

'block_end'           => '</div>',

'block_display_title' => false,

'list_start'          => '<ul>',

'list_end'            => '</ul>',

'item_start'          => '<li>',

'item_end'            => '</li>',

) );

// ----------------------------- END OF "Page Top" CONTAINER -----------------------------

?>

</div>
-->

That is add the first and the last line.

Good luck

9 Jun 19, 2009 00:38

I changed it...no dice.

10 Jun 19, 2009 00:49

I knocked out a few pixels of space due to a header tag. Still trying to narrow down what is causing the difference.

11 Jun 19, 2009 00:56

Just noticed I was logged in and my test post was hidden to everyone but me. You should be able to see the space difference now.

12 Jun 19, 2009 01:18

In style.css find (line 134)

bSideItem h3 {
        margin-top: 5px;
}

Setting it to zero may do the trick. There's an empty h3 header taking some space at the top.

13 Jun 19, 2009 03:15

No luck. 8|

I'm sure it is one of those 5px items somewhere. I have been looking through the CSS files but I can't find it.

14 Jun 19, 2009 04:02

Just for the sake of it: try to remove the <h3> tag just to see if that's the problem.
Lines 105-106 change

'block_title_start' => '<h3>',

'block_title_end' => '</h3>',

in

'block_title_start' => '',

'block_title_end' => '',

And change it back regardless of what happens (you want the tags for the other widgets).

I'm sorry that I don't have a test setup at the moment. I can only help you by pointing at possible solutions. The latest and greatest alpha version of Firebug doesn't seem to change css on the fly the way I was used to. Or it may be the combination with Jetpack. At times I get carried away testing all sorts of development versions and things break on a regular basis.

Good luck

15 Jun 19, 2009 04:20

I'm pretty sure I found it. Look at style.css line 71:

margin: 6px 0 10px;

change 6px to 0 (zero).

I didn't find this in the original download. There it says

margin 0 0 20px 0;

Good luck

16 Jun 19, 2009 04:45

Afwas wrote:

I'm pretty sure I found it. Look at style.css line 71:

margin: 6px 0 10px;

change 6px to 0 (zero).

I didn't find this in the original download. There it says

margin 0 0 20px 0;

Good luck

That worked! I would have swore I tried zapping that value at least two or three times!

Not enough is said about people who volunteer help on community forums like these. Thanks very much for your help...I was going batty trying to find those 6 pixels!

Form is loading...