Recent Topics

1 Jun 23, 2009 14:46    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I found something tonight, the [url=http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/]Google AJAX Libraries API[/url].

Maybe b2evolution and its plugins that requires one of these should switch instead of packaging it together (or asking the end-user to get jQuery {put-version-here}).

According to their [url=http://googleajaxsearchapi.blogspot.com/2008/05/speed-up-access-to-your-favorite.html]blog post[/url]:

[list]

• Developers won't have to worry about getting caching setup correctly, as we will do that for you

• If another application uses the same library (much more likely), they there is a much better chance that it will be already caching on the users machine

• The network and bandwidth of the users systems will not be taxed.

• [/list:u]

More....

Quoting from the official site:

The AJAX Libraries API is a content distribution network and loading architecture for the most popular, open source JavaScript libraries. By using the Google AJAX API Loader's google.load() method, your application has high speed, globaly available access to a growing list of the most popular, open source JavaScript libraries including:
    [list]

• jQuery

• jQuery UI

• Prototype

• script.aculo.us

• MooTools

• Dojo

• SWFObject

• Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI)

• Ext Core

• [/list:u]
    Google works directly with the key stake holders for each library effort and accepts the latest stable versions as they are released. Once we host a release of a given library, we are committed to hosting that release indefinitely.

The AJAX Libraries API takes the pain out of developing mashups in JavaScript while using a collection of libraries. We take the pain out of hosting the libraries, correctly setting cache headers, staying up to date with the most recent bug fixes, etc.

A sample code:

<script src="http://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>
    <script>
      // Load jQuery
      google.load("jquery", "1");

// on page load complete, fire off a jQuery json-p query
      // against Google web search
      google.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
        $.getJSON("http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/services/search/web?q=google&v=1.0&callback=?",

// on search completion, process the results
          function (data) {
            if (data.responseData.results &&
                data.responseData.results.length > 0) {
              var results = data.responseData.results;

for (var i=0; i < results.length; i++) {
                // Display each result however you wish
                alert(results[i].titleNoFormatting);
              }    
            }

});
        });
    </script>

Developer Documentation: [url=http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/]http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/[/url]

Just an idea ;)

2 Jun 23, 2009 15:06

I'm 100% against having a 3rd party reliance for my websites content/files.

¥

3 Jun 23, 2009 17:09

¥åßßå wrote:

I'm 100% against having a 3rd party reliance for my websites content/files.

¥

Specially when the third party is google. If it gets popular it'll turn into adware. If it doesn't it'll get wiped out.

4 Jun 23, 2009 17:11

Don't even start me on the "google" part of it ;)

¥

5 Jun 23, 2009 17:25

Hmm... "third-party" is understandable.... but "Google" ?? So far, the only outage I experienced was from Gmail.

Yep, I'm starting it :p Now I'm curious.

6 Jun 23, 2009 18:04

Google is a company that, much like many other companies, exists to make money for their stock holders. NOTHING they do (or any other company does) is because they're being nice. So how will they make money off this? I don't know, but the obvious first step toward profit is to have more to track. The more info they have about everything about you, the more they can try to better target you with advertising. Nice simple little text boxes of course because they're "nice" about it.

But what happens if they decide it isn't going to make them more money? Just drop it? Or maybe they tell you they can't keep giving it away so if you pay a tiny little subscription fee (based on usage of course) then all will be well in YOUR world because they won't have to take your toys away.

Tween now and then what happens when they decide to upgrade something that breaks your application of that something? Much like how v3 breaks plugins that are perfectly functional in v2 and don't do anything wrong ... but don't work in v3. You as a b2evolution user can decide to not upgrade if the bells and whistles you want aren't available for the next version. You as a website owner depending on something google can change are screwed.

Google is the new Microsoft.

7 Jun 23, 2009 19:19

On top of all that .... and still avoiding rant mode ;) ... on the occasions that I use my mates pc ( FF with js/cookies/ads/bitch_slap_me_but_at_least_i'm_running_FF_huh settings ) ... anyway, on those occasions, you should see the number of sites that are brought to their knees whilst waiting for a response from google syndication ...

... *note to self* ... remove the googy ads shown to myspac/search visitors from blog :roll:

¥

8 Jun 24, 2009 01:49

Oh man I forgot about that. I've blocked scripts, most noticably google's syndication thing, for so long I'm simply used to pages that load in a reasonable time ... and voids in pages where ads belong. Or is it where ads don't belong?

I've no problem with peeps who try to make a bit of money advertising on their web, but for crying out loud STOP trying to use my computing resources to pull content from an obviously loaded server to make it happen! Either hard code your ads from folks who talk directly to you, or figure out a server-side way to get third party ads mixed in with your content!

9 Jun 24, 2009 06:09

Ahh yes, yes. I experienced a problem with Google Ads last week, but it was from my ISP. Nonetheless, all sites with google ads failed to load.

Well, true as well, most companies are only after the money of the people, something I have to swallow when I reached middle-management position. As much as I hate it, that's what they want - "at the end of the day it is all about (making) money" as they always told me.

---
    I use openads for that.. but I haven't really use its full capabilites. It is hard to run openads in a shared hosting (lol).

Form is loading...