Recent Topics

1 Aug 18, 2004 01:01    

So, am i screwed?

We have a linuxbox at work that i thought i would try and install b2evo on and use that for our central blogging. But unfortunately since the machine is internal it doesn't actually have a URL just a machine name.

I was looking through the _config.php file after my logins not working and it says that you can't use machine names since it doesn't seem to set the cookies properly. Is there a way around this? does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?

Oh and i should also add that while it is "likely", it is not guaranteed that we will have a static IP ... so ...

Thanks

Brent.

2 Aug 18, 2004 07:22

You just need to make sure the machine name is a fully qualified domian name.

3 Aug 18, 2004 17:47

What follows is a very insecure hack! It allows cookies set by b2evolution to be accessible by other websites, which could give away your username and password to another site.

However, if you're setting up the site on a local trusted intranet that is not accessible from the outside, then it's not a big deal.

Find this part of conf/_advanced.php:

$cookie_domain = ($basehost == 'localhost') ? '' : '.'. $basehost;

Change that to this:

$cookie_domain = ($basehost == 'MACHINE_NAME_GOES_HERE') ? '' : '.'. $basehost;

Then cookies will work fine. (Or, as Graham suggested, give it a machine name that is a fully-qualified tld name.)

4 Aug 19, 2004 02:25

Ok cool, that did it.

thanks,

I don't think giving it a qualified domain name is going to work since it's an internal machine. Or am i missing something about domain names?

ie if i called it linuxbox.com or some other registered domain name, the domain name would a) have to be registered and thus reach out to the name servers and then come back, through our totally blockaded firewall :) or b) i would have to hack everyones hosts file to point to the machine cuz their browsers would be trying to resolve the address outside of intranet... or is my understanding of things off??

Brent.

5 Aug 19, 2004 07:18

I've not used linux for several years, but I know that several people have set their domains to be domain.name - it doesn't have to be .com or whatever, the request will be sent to the webserver or proxy first, so it just has to be set up on the actual server the script is running on.

Form is loading...