Recent Topics

1 Nov 13, 2006 23:40    

I'm using b2evolution 0.9.0.11 for my personal blog where I want to add a different and additional type of Google AdSense advertisement.

I found the required commands block and, according to Google AdSense, all I have to do is copy and paste that block into my program.

It sounds pretty easy, but I have at least two concerns, to begin with:

1) Where is that program? I assume it's the v2evolution program, but where is it located in my domain?

2) If I can find it, in what part of it should I paste the commands block?

I'll appreciate any help.

4 Dec 02, 2006 04:59

I would highly recommend upgrading to the latest version first. I have not done that or used the older version so I hope this helps!

Ok, to start you need to determine what template you're using so you can edit the appropriate files. For example if you are using the custom template, you will need to browse to the directory where your blog is installed, in this directory you will find a directory called skins, and then browse to your skin directory, "custom" in this example. (/www/skins/custom/ is how a lot of hosts would have this setup). In this directory there will be a file named _main.php. You will be placing the adsense code into this page. This is coded in php, not html, and if you are not familiar with it, you should definitely have someone help you. If you need someone to help let me know, I may be able to send an example or something to help you out.

jrowe
http://www.citysourceusa.com
http://www.rowenetworks.com

5 Dec 03, 2006 01:41

THANKS!

Did you mean I should upgrade b2evolution version? I’ve just asked the hosting I have my domain with and I was told there is no b2evolution upgrade available.

Following your guide I was able to reach the ‘custom’ folder, but I found inside two different ‘main.php’ files: one is ‘_main.php’ and the other is ‘_main.php~’. I assume what you mentioned in your guide is the first one, so I opened it (see attachment).

,… but that’s the limit of my knowledge about since, for sure, I’m not familiar with PHP and/or HTML.

What Google AdSense asks me to do is pasting this block (see attachment --that I don’t know if it is written in PHP or HTML-- into my program. It sounds so easy! But, where in my program? If into the ‘_main.php’ file, where? This is a very long file,…. THIS IS MY PROBLEM!.

If you have time, please listen to following tutorial.

http://services.google.com/adsense/breeze/activation/index.html?sourceid=asos&subid=ww-ww-et-demos_guides&medium=link

It seems to me very cynical because they spend some time explaining the stupid function of copy & paste, but spend just only one second to talk about the crucial point: HOW AND WHERE TO PASTE.

6 Dec 03, 2006 06:44

Alright, lets fix your problems:

Yes, I do HIGHLY recommend upgrading to the current version. Your host is wrong about the current version, unless of course they were meaning that was the current version they have to install, now I get to "plug" my hosting service! I have been tossing around the idea of hosting other peoples blogs on my servers but I don't know what to charge for just hosting a blog, I have a great hosting package for $15.00/month..., Sorry, had to get one in for all this "free" info! Ha!

The good news is, you can do it yourself if you want, just follow the instructions with the download. The current version is 1.8.6, as you can see here on b2evolutions web page: http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.html

As mentioned before I have never upgraded this software from a 0.9 version, so maybe research it a little more before doing it, but my understanding of the coding leads me to believe you would not lose any information, but don't just take my advice on it, check around!

The file with the tilde (~) after is probably only a temporary file, it is most likely not the one you want to edit.

Ok, adding the code to your _main.php. As easy as it would be to just tell you to send me the _main.php file and I would edit for you or send you a separate doc on where to place it, you or anyone else that reads this post may end up lost in the process, so I'll try to explain it the best I can with what info I have about your unique situation.

1. Determine what template/skin you are using. You can do this by going into your "Admin" backoffice, go into "blog settings" for your blog and look for "default skin:". This is important as you will be very mad if you spend time editing the wrong file and also NOTE: if you change the template/skin you will have to re-add your adsense code. Now you know where to go.

2. Browse to your /skins directory and into the folder for the skin you are using and locate _main.php. You will need a copy of it to edit and I would recommend renaming or copying this file somewhere else in case you mess up, you can rename or recopy it and get your blog back up and running. I recommend using an editing program, such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver or even a free one: PHPDesigner as it will put the code into the proper coding format, DO NOT use notepad!
Once you have downloaded or opened _main.php for editing continue...,

3. Now the tricky part, you are looking at a page that is coded in php AND html! It is easy to mess up so be careful and keep track of the changes you make in case of disaster. There are many optimization techniques to help you put your add in a location on your page to get a higher CTR. I'm not going to go into that in this post as it in itself is a long topic that you will be able to find on my websites soon. However, choosing the ADsense for content large rectangle 336x280 and the placing of the code where I will share right now with you should give you adequate results, directly below your posts.

4. Find in the code where it says:
START OF MAIN AREA (Hopefully the skin you're using was coded with this to help identify)

The section you are looking for should look something similar to this:

<?php // ------------------------------------ START OF POSTS ----------------------------------------
	if( isset($MainList) ) $MainList->display_if_empty(); // Display message if no post

if( isset($MainList) ) while( $Item = $MainList->get_item() )
	{
		//$MainList->date_if_changed();
	?>

<?php
			locale_temp_switch( $Item->locale ); // Temporarily switch to post locale
			$Item->anchor(); // Anchor for permalinks to refer to
		?>

<div class="EntryInnerBlock">
		<div class="EntryTitle"><div class="xmas">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<?php $Item->title(); ?></div>
			<div class="num"><?php $Item->issue_date(); echo '&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;';  $Item->issue_time(); ?></div>
			<span class="EntryTitleFont"><?php $Item->categories(); ?></span>
		</div>
		<div class="EntryTextBox">
			<div class="EntryText">
			<?php $Item->content(); ?>
			</div>
			<div class="EntryPsText">
			<?php link_pages() ?>

You will place your adsense code directly after the line "<?php link_pages() ?>" 

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DISTURB OR CHANGE ANY OF THE OTHER CODING SECTIONS!

5. Now save and upload your new _main.php file to the EXACT same folder you got it from, your site should now display your Google adsense advertisements in with your b2evolution posts!

6. Not done yet!.., Google only allows 3 Adsense for Content Ads/page and it will only display 3 per page so I recommend setting the display unit to "Posts" and the number of posts to display per page to a value of 3. This is in "App Settings" under the setting name of "Posts/Days per page. If you don't want to do this step because you like displaying more than 3 posts per page that's fine, but be warned it may violate Google's Adsense Policies because the code will repeat in every post on the page, I do not know how they (Google) handles that situation, I opted to just display 3 per page, besides, more page views, more clicks, more revenue.

Congrats, you're done

I hope this helps and I haven't left anything out, I really am going to ad a section to my websites to help with adsense and b2evo, should be within a weeks time and I will link it back to this post so you and others can check it out! I already have a small section on how to make money with Google Adsense on my www.citysourceusa.com web page. I am in the process of building an addition to my www.rowenetworks.com page with a forum on Adsense optimization, making money with adsense, Adsense website and Blog integration, etc. Be sure to check it out and tell your friends!

For all the help all I ask is that I would appreciate a link from your sites to my sites.

If you still need me to help edit the file for you, I will, let me know!

Thanks!
jrowe
www.citysourceusa.com
www.rowenetworks.com

7 Dec 03, 2006 08:50

Please put code in either code or php blocks. It's easier on the eyes that way. Also it's best to copy snippets from the 'custom' skin rather than a customized skin given that all installations are highly likely to have that skin available.

CMP before you go to v1.8.6 you should upgrade to 0.9.2 because after that everything changed radically. I'm pretty sure 0.9.0.11 has a nasty security problem, so if you haven't patched it you're asking for troubles. Anyway it looks like jrowe's info is close enough to get your adsense stuck in a post. It's obviously not "in" a post but it'll look that way. It wouldn't be too hard to do it a bit more elegantly. Like for example only have one iteration of the adsense thing no matter how many posts you want to display, but that's a cart and you've got 2 horses to work with first: Upgrade your installation, and get the basics of adsense working as you want.

Got link? We can do a heck of a lot more by seeing your blog than by waiting for you to spill the right bean.

8 Dec 03, 2006 09:27

EdB wrote:

Please put code in either code or php blocks. It's easier on the eyes that way. Also it's best to copy snippets from the 'custom' skin rather than a customized skin given that all installations are highly likely to have that skin available.

Done, wasn't sure how to do that before! Thanks for the tip! Had the code for mine readily available, will remember tip though.

Not bad for only using b2evo for 8 days if I can say so myself. Thanks for the help on this post, didn't want CMP to ruin his blog with upgrade!

jrowe
www.citysourceusa.com
www.rowenetworks.com

9 Dec 03, 2006 13:56

Thanks to you all for the time you ha spent trying to ehlp me but to be honest I'm not feeling ready to take the risk of going thorugh all the process that I don't understand in about 90%, and cofuses me a lot.

To begin with, it's the b2evolution upgrading issue. As far as I know, that program is part of the service that OnSmart, the hosting company I have my blog is, offers to customers, so I assume that upgrading b2evolution --or any other program in OnSmart's cPanel menu-- is their job not mine; and they say there's not upgrading available.

I have a problem with b2evo and Firefox that has forced me to use IE to publicize (or worite) some articles in my blog since when using Firefox I was sent to top of page any time I apply any b2evo script command to written text. It doesn't happen with IE or Opera. Firefox's suupor people (forum) seem to know nothing about a solution.

So, in summary,I better try to look for someone knowlegeable enough to do this job.

10 Dec 03, 2006 15:53

CMP your host is wrong, as are you. Just because someone else won't do it for you doesn't mean upgrading isn't the right thing to do. The version you are using is officially deemed OBSOLETE!!! Check http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.html and you'll see for yourself. Ask your host why they have an obsolete version of software available to you. Ask them why you are exposed to known security vulnerabilities. Ask yourself if you would put better locks on your house if you knew that the ones the builder put on were known to be bad. Or would you wait for the builder to come over and take care of it?

No worries though. If you're happy with it then that's what matters. I'm pretty sure jrowe's advice about getting adsense in will work.

11 Dec 03, 2006 16:36

CMP wrote:

Thanks to you all for the time you ha spent trying to ehlp me but to be honest I'm not feeling ready to take the risk of going thorugh all the process that I don't understand in about 90%, and cofuses me a lot.

To begin with, it's the b2evolution upgrading issue. As far as I know, that program is part of the service that OnSmart, the hosting company I have my blog is, offers to customers, so I assume that upgrading b2evolution --or any other program in OnSmart's cPanel menu-- is their job not mine; and they say there's not upgrading available.

I have a problem with b2evo and Firefox that has forced me to use IE to publicize (or worite) some articles in my blog since when using Firefox I was sent to top of page any time I apply any b2evo script command to written text. It doesn't happen with IE or Opera. Firefox's suupor people (forum) seem to know nothing about a solution.

So, in summary,I better try to look for someone knowlegeable enough to do this job.

So you mean I spent well over an hour verifying and typing in all of that information FOR FREE so you could help yourself get your blog upgraded and put adsense into it so YOU CAN MAKE MONEY only to have you tell me:
CMP wrote:

My information was correct and accurate and if you don't believe me you can visit my sitewww.citysourceusa.com and see it working for yourself. Ads directly below each post, 3 posts/page.

I agree your host should try to keep the most current version of software installed, not you. The servers I use offer the 1.8.2 version using the Fantastico install, I didn't even waste my time, I checked and found the most current and did it my self.

I would think you would take this post and the b2evo download section link and forward it to your host and tell them they were wrong.

You do what you want, like EdB said, as long as your happy that's fine, but next time you want to involve someone else's time and help, at least take the time to research it yourself, don't just disagree with two people that are trying to help you because your less knowledgeable host says so.

Good luck to you! Have a nice day!

jrowe
www.citysourceusa.com
www.rowenetworks.com

12 Dec 03, 2006 16:47

/me hands round the smoke........ and :cookie: ;)

All nice and calm now people?

CMP:
If you know how to use [wiki]FTP[/wiki] then it's very easy for you to upgrade to the latest and greatest version without having to rely on your host. As has been mentioned this version cures several security problems as well as offering some fantastic new abilities (like plugins and other groovy toys like that).

If you have any difficulties or questions regarding how to upgrade then feel free to ask, that's what we're here for.

¥

13 Dec 14, 2006 08:18

EdB and JRowe are both correct (of course). I just followed JRowe's instructions and it worked perfectly! You can see it at www.ibond2u.com/truth

Thank you very much JRowe for the time you put into that instruction. Before finding your instruction I took about 2 hours trying to do this myself and messing up my skin, your instruction took 5 minutes to implement. Bravo Zulu to you :D

Thanks to all the folks here at B2evolution who put instructions for the modifications. Some of us have a slow higher learning curve than others, but eventually we'll be able to "give something back".

14 Jan 04, 2007 06:59

jrowe wrote:

So you mean I spent well over an hour verifying and typing in all of that information FOR FREE so you could help yourself get your blog upgraded and put adsense into it so YOU CAN MAKE MONEY only to have you tell me:
CMP wrote:

For what it's worth, jrowe, I found your instructions to be very clear and helpful, and will be implementing them now that I've upgraded to 1.8.6.

I can understand CMP's trepidation at upgrading, though. It was an easy process, but it's pretty clear from his post that he was completely at sea in regard to modifying code and upgrading software on remote servers. In the end, it's probably better that he found someone else to do the work.

That said, I greatly appreciate your posts, and I'm sure many other people have benefited from them as well. When it comes right down to it, that's what Open Source is all about. Thanks for the help! Like bond2u I look forward to the day when I can help someone through these boards, as well.

15 Jan 04, 2007 07:57

Lytspeed wrote:

For what it's worth, jrowe, I found your instructions to be very clear and helpful, and will be implementing them now that I've upgraded to 1.8.6.

Wow! That was a breeze!

I got the AdSense block loaded into my page with no problem using your instructions, jrowe! Now to customize the custom skin a little more and make it more like my own site.

It's at http://www.lytspeed.com/blogs/ if anyone is interested in checking out how it looks.

Thanks again, guys!

16 Jan 04, 2007 14:35

Lytspeed wrote:

Lytspeed wrote:

Wow! That was a breeze!

I got the AdSense block loaded into my page with no problem using your instructions, jrowe! Now to customize the custom skin a little more and make it more like my own site.

It's at http://www.lytspeed.com/blogs/ if anyone is interested in checking out how it looks.

Thanks again, guys!

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm glad to be able to help those of you who care to read.

Form is loading...