Recent Topics

1 Jul 13, 2009 19:28    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

When I link to my blog from Facebook, the Facebook post shows "Limited to last 7 days" as the headline of the post, and shows the long description of the blog as the content.

Is there a way to have the title of the newest post show where "Limited to the last 7 days" shows on Facebook (as the headline of the post) and the actualt first sentence or so of the post's content to show instead of the description?

Jim

2 Jul 13, 2009 22:48

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forums. How are you linking to your site in facebook? Do you attach your site and then click on the 'Share' button?

Also could you let me have a link to your site so I could perhaps try it myself as when I try this with my site I don't get the "Limited to last 7 days" thing.

Lee

3 Jul 14, 2009 21:10

Hi, Lee. Thanks for the reply.

I click on "link," enter the URL and click on "attach." I'm still trying to set up the blog so this isn't at all urgent right now, but I would like to resolve this issue before I do any more real work.

The blog is at www.jimreese.com

Jim

4 Jul 15, 2009 00:21

Change your blog settings for displaying posts from "days" to "posts"

¥

5 Jul 15, 2009 08:38

That was going to be my quick answer :)

It is interesting that we display the "Limited to x days" in the title and above the posts. I have never played with that setting before so have never seen it but couldn't find a way to easily switch it off. Kind of limiting from an SEO perspective.

Jim - Did you specify displaying posts by days rather than number of post for a reason? If you want the title of the newest post show where "Limited to the last 7 days" shows on Facebook (as the headline of the post) and the actual first sentence or so of the post's content to show instead of the description then that is going to take a little more playing.

Facebook also uses the description (meta desc) so it would probably be a good idea to fill that in in your blog settings. (Advanced tab).

L

6 Jul 15, 2009 13:36

¥åßßå wrote:

Change your blog settings for displaying posts from "days" to "posts"

¥

Tried that. Didn't work as hoped. It did, however, change the title of the post that shows on Facebook to the name of the blog.

Jim

7 Jul 15, 2009 13:51

lturner wrote:

Jim - Did you specify displaying posts by days rather than number of post for a reason? If you want the title of the newest post show where "Limited to the last 7 days" shows on Facebook (as the headline of the post) and the actual first sentence or so of the post's content to show instead of the description then that is going to take a little more playing.

Facebook also uses the description (meta desc) so it would probably be a good idea to fill that in in your blog settings. (Advanced tab).

L

Yes, that was on purpose but certainly not terribly important to me. I now have it configured for number of posts. That, however, only changed the title of the post that shows on Facebook to the name of the blog.

I would like the title of the newest post to show on Facebook with the first sentence or so (whatever Facebook uses as default) of the post to show instead of the description.

The meta description appears to be a global. Wouldn't that require changing the meta description every time there's a new post?

Jim

8 Jul 15, 2009 18:29

Hi Jim

Yeah, that would require changing the meta desc every time you post so not a great solution. The thing is, facebook is doing what I would expect it to do really. If I link to your site in facebook today by attaching your website http://www.jimreese.com/ and clicking on share it would give the name of your blog and the meta desc if you have set it. This gives me the name of your blog and the general info on what your blog is about. Isn't this what you would expect if you link to the root of your site - http://www.jimreese.com/

If I link to a specific post I would expect the title of the link to be the title of the blog post and the description to be a summary of the post which can come from the meta desc of that post. This is how it currently works.

Doing it your way, I link to the root of your site - http://www.jimreese.com/ and I would currently get 'America's Small Businesses are Seething over the So-Called "Climate Change" Bill' as the title and a summary of that post as the description. The minute you post another entry to your blog the link information I have in facebook is out of date. If you post another 20 entries to your blog the information I have in my link is even more out of date and people would really have to digg around to find what they thought they were clicking through to.

Does any of the above make sense :)

What you are asking for may still be possible with a little hacking of your skin files (not sure as I haven't looked at it fully yet) but are you really, really sure you want to? :D

L

9 Jul 15, 2009 20:46

L...

I have a friend who is in NYC these days. We've known each other for about 30 years. What he is doing on Facebook is what I would like to do, only on a much smaller scale.

If you can find Gary Baumgarten, take a look at his posts. He dual posts on his blog and in Facebook Notes. I'm interested in just the blog.

The next question I have is: Can I link to a single blog post?

Jim

BTW, I really appreciate the time you're spending with me on this.

10 Jul 15, 2009 21:15

Hi Jim

I am no facebook expert by any means so this is kind of fun trying to figure it out :)

As far as I can see you should be able to integrate your blog with the facebook notes feature. The facebook notes app just imports an rss feed so you can do that from your blog as it is now.

Go to http://www.facebook.com/editnotes.php?import

Enter your web address in the box provided, tick the tick box and click on the 'Start Importing' button. This will read the RSS feed from your site and every time you post a blog entry will update your facebook notes with your blog post. Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of?

L

11 Jul 15, 2009 22:36

This looks great on the surface. If it works, I owe you a very expensive cup of coffee the next time I'm in...oh, wherever you are! :)

I'll let you know what happens.

Jim

Form is loading...