Recent Topics

1 Jun 23, 2009 22:30    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hi.
New user and blog admin, not very tech savvy.
How do you make it so that posts are displayed in the short form by default? They always show up as full length when the main page is opened, but I'd prefer to have them shorter to show more posts on the page. Is there a setting I am overlooking?
Thank you!

2 Jun 23, 2009 22:38

Welcome to the forums...

You can use the !M button in the posting/edit screen that inserts a "Read More" link that exposes the rest of the post when clicked....

3 Jun 23, 2009 22:54

Thanks.
Is there no way to adjust the default view of the page so that all posts display as short apart from editing posts? It seems like there must be, because when I click on a link to show posts in a category, those posts are all displayed short.

4 Jun 24, 2009 01:45

What do you mean by "short form"? AFAIK b2evolution doesn't pick the amount of content to show, leaving it up to each blogger to use the !M feature for a "read more" link at the point of their choosing. So does "short form" mean "title only"? That can be done fairly easily by editing your skin.

5 Jun 24, 2009 03:06

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm new at this...

Here's a link to the default page
http://brookfordcsa.com/blog2.php/

and here's a link to the "short" version of posts that I see when I click a "category" link
http://brookfordcsa.com/blog2.php/recipes-1/

What I want is for the default page to display posts in truncated form, like in the second example. If it is done in the skin, what parameter am I looking to change?
Thanks.

6 Jun 24, 2009 15:21

In Blog settings > SEO > under "Main page / post list" select "Post contents: Post excerpts"

7 Jun 24, 2009 15:26

Perfect. I knew it must be simple.
Thank you.

8 Jun 24, 2009 15:37

Ummm... now when I want to read a recipe all I get is the truncated incomplete intro...

EG: http://brookfordcsa.com/blog2.php/2009/06/11/basic-curry

This curry recipe works equally well with lamb, beef, chicken, veggies, or whatever else you like.3 T oil1 onion, chopped1 T minced fresh ginger2 cloves garlic, minced2 tomatoes, chopped2 T coriander2 t garam masala (optional -- adds the ci… more »

No matter had much I click more, there's nothing.

9 Jun 24, 2009 15:41

I see what you mean. That's no good. Not so simple after all, I guess. Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps I should just edit people's posts and add the More break, since there aren't that many posts anyway.
Thanks for the help.

10 Jun 24, 2009 15:43

Change the setting back and edit the following code in your skin file _item_block.inc.php

// Default params:
$params = array_merge( array(
		'feature_block'   => false,
		'content_mode'    => 'auto',		// 'auto' will auto select depending on $disp-detail
		'item_class'      => 'post',
		'item_status_class' => 'bPost',
		'image_size'	    => 'fit-400x320',
	), $params );

if( is_default_page() )
{
	$params['content_mode'] = 'excerpt';
}

11 Jul 29, 2009 17:45

sorry to bring back an old post but I'm looking to do something similar (posted but with no solution) as this - I don't have any files _item_block.inc.php - where would this snippit go?

12 Jul 29, 2009 17:50

with no solution

The solution is in my previous post ;)

You need b2evo 3 in order to display short post content (excerpts) in your blog. there's no file called _item_block.inc.php in b2evo 2

13 Jul 29, 2009 17:59

Thanks for the help - the v above is listed at 2.x, I didn't realize the difference between 2.x and 3 - I'll download the newer and give it a try. Thanks again!

14 Jul 29, 2009 19:30

Okay, getting there - I've uploaded and configured v3.3. I have a page that shows the posts with excerpts (as entered in RSS, which seems like a backward way of doing it but anyway it works), and that page links through to the single post page.

But, I can't tell if stubs are still supported - I need to pull the 3 newest posts into a whole new page, new css - is there something built in that I'm missing? Thanks again...

Form is loading...