Recent Topics

1 Oct 20, 2009 17:34    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.1

Hello there,

I would like to ask if there is a possibility to make certain blog posts visible only for a certain group of users. I already know the settings that hide posts for people who are not logged in, but I need it to be more differentiated so that User A can view posts of the type X, whereas User B and C can only view posts of the type Y etc.

I was thinking of adding this feature to b2evo myself, but I think it is smarter to ask if someone has already found a solution for this issue first. For example there's the "Custom display for a specific group" hack by LadyEase that appears to be pretty much the extension I am looking for, but it is no longer available. As I'm new to b2evolution I'm also not too familiar with all of the user and blog post settings yet. Maybe someone can tell me how I can minimize the effort?

2 Oct 27, 2009 20:07

Not out of the box afaik, but it's been ages since I last checked if the "feature" that allowed members of an aggregate blog see posts in a blog, that they didn't have membership to, that was aggregated.

With a tad of luck they'll have finally realised that the feature is a flaw cos then I could say "yes" ;)

¥

3 Oct 30, 2009 09:35

So how do I find out if "they" (the developers?) have realised it? :) I mean, in my version of b2evo it doesn't seem to be possible, so I don't really see your point...

I've now started trying to implement the feature on my own, but it's really hard to understand the relations of the many objects and files of someone else's code... ^^' I've added a new int column in both the blog items and the user table and I already managed to make the blog only show posts with a certain value by adding another filter to the item selection routine. But I've not yet figured out where to read the value from the user table and how to store it in the session... I probably could do this in the "quick and dirty" way, but that's not my intention...

I know this is not the plugin development section. ^^ I'm still hoping for a less time-consuming solution. Not forgetting the fact that I'll have to alter the code again everytime I update b2evo if I make a hack...

4 Oct 30, 2009 10:59

The way to tell is to create 3 blogs

blog a : group 1 == members : make a protected post
blog b : group 2 == members : make a protected post
blog c : groups 1 & 2 == members : aggregate blogs a & b

If the users can see posts from blog a & b when they visit blog c then this "feature" still exists. If they can't then your solution exists ;)

¥

5 Oct 30, 2009 12:03

Well, I'm afraid even if this worked it wouldn't be satisfying. There will probably be more than two blog post classes, which requires a larger number of sub-blogs. ^^ Moreover, if I have understood your proposal correctly, it wouldn't be possible that some users have access to posts of more than one blog class.

I guess I have to do this myself. I am just wondering if I could also implement this feature as a plugin? I don't think so, because I need to change the blog selection routine by adding a new filter and I have no idea how this could be realised without changing the original code, but maybe I'm wrong.

6 Oct 30, 2009 19:33

Users can be members of multiple blogs.

*If* the feature has been killed then it'd be the easiest way forward out of the box.

¥

7 Nov 02, 2009 22:21

I had a similar problem once, which would not be solved with the blog a, b and c - modell. We needed a 'level'-oriented qualifying, like member10 can read all, member9 a bit less ... and member1 almost nothing, while 4 or 5 levels would have done the job.

I was wondering if the filter option for posts could not be used for this purpose. Checking if a post is private or for members should allow adding / handling qualified members, like member01, member 02 ... and then allow access only to postings with member of same or lower category.

Would that make sense ... does the filter tool allow this modification and would it solve the problem?

8 Nov 02, 2009 22:26

You'd need to hack inc/items/model/_itemlist.class.php && /inc/items/model/_itemlist_light.class.php ... at a guess

¥

Form is loading...