Recent Topics

1 Feb 05, 2007 20:05    

I'm sorry if this seems obvious, but this is not my forte. I am trying to change the text style and size on my skin (wpc_default). Firstly, if you go to my site, NathanSheets.com (please excuse controversial subject matter;) you will see on the sidebar the Archives links. I want the size and style of those to stay the same, however I'd like each one to have a bullet next to it. Is that possible?

Also, you will see that I've recently added a "top rated" plug-in to the side bar. I would like that text to be the same as the Archives text, and also with a bullet next to each item.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2 Feb 06, 2007 08:00

Nathan,

1/ Bullets. Of course it's possible! :D Here's what you do. First of all, there's currently no way to "pick on" the archives, separately from the rest of the sidebar stuff. (If you put a "bullet" on it now, you're going to have bullets for MORE than just "ARCHIVES"). ;)

Here's what you do. Edit your wpc_default skin's _main.php file and change the archives "block_start" from "<li>" to "<li class="archives">". Look for the following section.

<?php // -------------------------- ARCHIVES INCLUDED HERE -----------------------------
		// Call the Archives plugin:
		$Plugins->call_by_code( 'evo_Arch', array( // Parameters follow:
				'block_start'= >'<li>',
				'block_end'= >'</li>',
				'title'= >T_('Archives').':',
				'limit'= >'',                           // No limit
				'more_link'= >'',                       // No more link
			)	);
		// -------------------------------- END OF ARCHIVES ---------------------------------- ?>

THIS will let you pick on the archives section, so that you can add your bullets to JUST THAT SECTION.

THEN, in the CSS file "style.css" you're going to need to add a special selector (nested lists aren't my bag, but I think this should work).

#menu ul li.archives ul { list-style-type:disc; color:#666; background-color:inherit; }

You can put it at the bottom of the file, but it makes more sense to put it right after the following:

#menu ul ul {
	font-variant: normal;
	font-weight: normal;
	line-height: 100%;
	list-style-type: none;
	margin: 0;
	padding: 0;
	text-align: left;
}

THAT should take care of your bullet desires. (Mind you, you could change the color from #666 to something else, but #666 should "work" to start.

2/ TOP RATED: In the same "style.css" file, add the following selectors (again, I'd recommend putting them in a spot immediately below "#menu ul ul":

#menu .bSideItem { 
  margin:20px 0; 
}
#menu .bSideItem ol { 
  padding:0;
  list-style-type:disc;
  color:#666;
  background-color:inherit; 
}
#menu .bSideItem ol li {
  font:italic 70%/115% 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Verdana, sans-serif;
}
#menu .bSideItem ol a {
  color: #000;
  text-decoration: none;
}
#menu .bSideItem ol a:hover {
  border-bottom: 1px solid #809080;
}

Note: I picked on ".bSideItem", which is a common sidebar class name (but your skin has only THIS ONE). IF you end up adding more lists with that class name, you MAY need to (like above) add something to "pick on this area" separately from the others. I also changed the styling a tad, to match what's already on the sidebar, including links, fonts, spacing, etc. Hope it works for you. ;)

Anyway ... have a peek at the blow-by-blow instructions and see if it doesn't work for you. :D

Hope it helps.

3 Feb 06, 2007 23:29

Awesome! Thank you!

4 Feb 07, 2007 05:33

So, I assume that's a "it works"?!

Glad to help you get it sorted. ;)

5 Feb 12, 2007 00:51

Is there a way to tell the Archives plugin to display the title 'Recent Entries' (or anything) instead of 'Archives' ?

7 Feb 12, 2007 02:40

The full list of params for archives and their defaults (may be over-ridden in your _main.php file, like described above)

'block_start' : (Default: '<div class="bSideItem">')
'block_end' : (Default: '</div>')
'title' : (Default: '<h3>'.T_('Archives').'</h3>')
'mode' : 'monthly'|'daily'|'weekly'|'postbypost' (Default: conf.)
'link_type' : 'canonic'|'context' (default: canonic)
'context_isolation' : what params need override when changing date/range (Default: 'm,w,p,title,unit,dstart' )
'form' : true|false (default: false)
'limit' : # of archive entries to display or '' (Default: 12)
'more_link' : more link text or '' (Default: 'more...')
'list_start' : (Default '<ul>')
'list_end' : (Default '</ul>')
'line_start' : (Default '<li>')
'line_end' : (Default '</li>')
'day_date_format' : (Default: conf.)

Hmm ... didn't need to search ... it's in the list of params in the example I gave. :p (Well ... here's the full set anyway) ;)

Form is loading...