Recent Topics

1 Feb 09, 2007 01:43    

Has anyone ever designed a skin/skins that would make a blog look more like a newspaper, such as for example http://www.instablog.org/?

I've been puzzling with multiblogs etc. to find a solution using b2evolution, but so far it's nothing but problems with full stories opening in the wrong place etc. etc. Is this just something I should forget about using evo?

2 Feb 09, 2007 20:16

I've no doubt a skin could be built to do what you want, though perhaps not exactly like the link you showed. I suppose if you KNEW that this blog would always have images of a certain size and those blogs would only have text and so on and so forth then you could do it. However if all you want to do is IN GENERAL duplicate a newspaper layout then it shouldn't be all that hard.

Maybe newest article on top full width whether it has an image or not, then three columns for three different blogs? Possibly snippets from the most recent three articles from those blogs? If you have images in those other blogs it'll cause troubles, but even that can be handled at the skin level.

It would be a very interesting skin to make!

3 Feb 09, 2007 20:29

It wouldn't be all that hard to make that page, I'm also thinking about that you don't necessarily need different blogs since I guess you can display the same blog three times (or more?) and limit by category which stories are being displayed.

What I can't figure out is how to make this multiblog page the default entry page on the domain and then have the full stories open in a "normal" skin, i.e. on a different page (with only teasers on the front page). If you point at multiblogs.php as being the stub file, that doesn't work.

4 Feb 10, 2007 00:01

That's indeed a great skin. I would consider using it too! hehehe

5 Feb 10, 2007 19:16

Thinking about this some more, I guess this should be done using not one, but two or more skins. The skin set for the blog displays the front page, and permalinks and "read more" links open in a different skin that displays the full article.

Where and how does one change the permalinks and read more to open using a different skin, can anyone tell me that? There is one thread about this in the "obsolete threads" section, but it's not complete: http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=674&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=mod+rewrite

Form is loading...