Recent Topics

1 Apr 25, 2007 16:56    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I guess this is really a CSS issue, but I am having the worst time solving the fact that IE7 and Firefox 2 are treating my comments so differently. If anybody can help me solve this, I would appreciate it.

A sample page is:

http://nemiller.com/index.php/a/2007/04/23/a_daydream_believer#comments

I like the way the comments look in Firefox, but you'll notice that the spacing is all jacked up in IE7. For a design guy, that is really irritating. I've tried playing all sorts of games with margins and padding, to no avail.

Thanks!

2 Apr 30, 2007 15:03

I couldn't figure out where the space between comments in FF was coming from for a while, but it's your a tag. You've defined a margin for a tags, which is applied to empty tags in Firefox, but apparently not in IE. To fix it you'll need to remove the a element's margin, or add a class to all of the anchors between your comments and set the margin for a.that_class to 0. Then FF and IE will be doing the same thing, but the space between comments will be gone. Get that back by adding a margin to div.bComment.

3 Apr 30, 2007 15:52

Wow. I spent all weekend trying to find that issue, to no avail. I humbly bow before your genius -- thank you so much!!!

4 Apr 30, 2007 16:02

I've got to give the credit to the Firebug extension for Firefox. If you're not using it yet, download it post haste. Once I finallyed hovered my mouse over the a tag in the firebug window, it highlighted it on the page and I could see the css that applied.

5 Apr 30, 2007 16:04

*bows before the almighty person person* .... yer such a God .... I gave up even faster then julsenor when it wasn't "the bloody obvious" :p

¥

6 Apr 30, 2007 16:07

The amazing thing about this and what made me determined to get to the bottom of it was the fact that IE seemed to be rendering the page more correctly than FF. :O I didn't see any reason that there should be a space between comments, so IE looked like it was right. That's so unusual that I couldn't resist. Turns out IE was ignoring a some of the css. I'm not sure if I consider it right or wrong to ignore the margin on an empty a tag.

7 Apr 30, 2007 16:39

That's exactly what was baffling me. Though now it (sorta) makes sense. I'm not sure how I feel about empty tags, either, but I'm glad you caught that. Thanks again!

8 Apr 30, 2007 16:41

personman wrote:

The amazing thing about this and what made me determined to get to the bottom of it was the fact that IE seemed to be rendering the page more correctly than FF.

That was probably about the point when I turned my PC off in shock :P

¥

9 Apr 30, 2007 23:45

I just saw this thread, so give me a minute or two ... Yeah okay, got it: do like personman says.

Hm! That was easy :D

10 May 01, 2007 02:25

I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm being mocked. ;-)

But seriously, thanks for the help. And for the Firebug recommendation. It has already been quite useful in CSS troubleshooting...

11 May 01, 2007 16:10

julsenor wrote:

I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm being mocked. ;-)

Not by me, friend. There are a couple of Masters that play here, and one of them took care of business for you. Another engaged in dialog. I like to sound smart by pretending I knew what they figured out. If I have to be serious I saw your initial post and looked and figured WTF because it sort of looked, as personman said, like IE was doing it right. THAT is weird, so I immediately closed the tab and moved on.

Anyway if there was any mockery happening it was aimed by me at me.

(the truth is those two copy everything i do)

;)

12 May 02, 2007 16:54

julsenor,
Most of us here make a point to not make fun of the people we're trying to help. That would be pretty counter-productive. We're much more likely to make fun of ourselves. ;) Ed's just being modest; way too modest. He's been around here a lot longer than I have and as you can see from his post count he's helped a lot of people. btw, YaBBa's post count apparently just passed mine. With this post we'll be dead even at 2065. He'll soon leave me in the dust, I fear.

Anyway, julsenor, that skin looks really great. I'd encourage you to submit it to be listed on skins.b2evolution.net . If you don't want other sites looking just like yours, then you can always make a slightly different version and change the photo. That would be a great way for you to help out the project.

You can also help with skins by looking [url=http://del.icio.us/tag/evoskinize]here[/url] and porting some of those designs to skins. You can also bookmark any good free templates you see with the evoskinize tag in del.icio.us so someone else can port it.

Making skins and sharing them is a great way to get involved and help out the project, learn more about design and get your url on lots and lots of blogs. My page rank has taken quite a boost since I started making blog skins.

Danny

Form is loading...