Recent Topics

1 May 08, 2007 02:36    

When I am in edit mode for my blog(s) I can see a list of all posts with "post" | "post list" and that is very useful. However I would like to offer this page (not in editable format, just as a list of links) to my viewers. Ideally it would be something that a person can click "List of Posts" that would then bring up all (or the first page of) posts for the current blog as a separate display.

I think that this would often be a more useful way to look at things than the categories or archives methods. Is there anything that does this now? If not, is it contemplated?

It would also help with people that came to my blog from a search engine that used a dynamic link and so they cannot see what they searched for. (See http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?p=54966#54966 for more on that).

Ray

2 May 08, 2007 09:26

This will give you the list that you want ;)

$Plugins->call_by_code( 'evo_Arch', array(
		'title'=>'List of all posts',
		'limit'=>999999999999,
		'mode'=> 'postbypost',
		'more_link' =>'',
	) );

¥

3 May 08, 2007 11:24

Thank you again ¥åßßå

Now, you may be a blonde bimbo, but I am an old codger and I don't know where to put this code. Polite suggestions only please. ;-)

Ignore this, I found the answer in the thread -- into my main.php file.
I just did it and it works! The follow or nofollow is done correctly on each page. I am so happy :-) :-) :-)

We crossed messages. Actually it is the other message one for searchg engines that I put in. Will look at this one now.

Thank you.

4 May 08, 2007 11:49

Ok, one of the simplest ways to do this is :

In your skins _main.php add the following code wherever you want the "show all posts" link :-

<a href="<?php echo url_add_param( $Blog->gen_blogurl(), 'disp=arcdir&amp;mylist=1' ); ?>" title=" view a list of all posts ">Index of all posts</a>

Next, find a section of code that looks like this ( in the same _main.php ) :

<?php
	// -------------- START OF INCLUDES FOR LAST COMMENTS, MY PROFILE, ETC. --------------
	// Note: you can customize any of the sub templates included here by
	// copying the matching php file into your skin directory.
	$current_skin_includes_path = dirname(__FILE__).'/';
	// Call the dispatcher:
	require $skins_path.'_dispatch.inc.php';
	// --------------- END OF INCLUDES FOR LAST COMMENTS, MY PROFILE, ETC. ---------------
?>

and change it to look something like this :

<?php

// start of addition
if( param( 'mylist', 'string' ) )
{
	$Plugins->call_by_code( 'evo_Arch', array(
        'title'=>'List of all posts',
        'limit'=>999999999999,
        'mode'=> 'postbypost',
        'more_link' =>'',
    ) );
    $disp = 'posts';
}
// end of addition

// -------------- START OF INCLUDES FOR LAST COMMENTS, MY PROFILE, ETC. --------------
	// Note: you can customize any of the sub templates included here by
	// copying the matching php file into your skin directory.
	$current_skin_includes_path = dirname(__FILE__).'/';
	// Call the dispatcher:
	require $skins_path.'_dispatch.inc.php';
	// --------------- END OF INCLUDES FOR LAST COMMENTS, MY PROFILE, ETC. ---------------
?>

Hit save, upload it, cross your fingers and hit the new link in your skin ;)

¥

5 May 08, 2007 12:27

Hi ¥åßßå

OK, I took the plunge and added the code and it works a treat. Wonderful! Thank you so much. I also learned a lot about how the whole main page works and feel that with a little more study on php I will be able to really make a hash of my blogs :-)

6 May 08, 2007 12:35

I'm still making a hash of my blogs ;)

¥

7 May 08, 2007 13:38

Haha! Now you tell me after I let you loose on mine! ;-)

8 May 08, 2007 16:35

Some of us never stop hashing it up ;)

We encourage others to test our hacks by saying "this should work" :)

Then b2evolution releases an upgrade and we say OMG I gotta undo everything, and start all over again :D

9 May 11, 2007 00:48

Yeah I was wondering about the upgrades and changes. How does one change to a new release without turning one's blog into a mess while getting all the changes back in? Or should I just stay on this release for ever? Or should I just make a private skin that is frozen in time?

"This should work" ... must remember that line. ;-)

10 May 11, 2007 02:54

As a general rule, things you change in your skin folder will be (more or less) okay. b2evolution doesn't upgrade YOUR skin, but you might find that a generational change causes changes to how skins work.

For example nothing from the 0.9.* generation work after that series ended. We had a collection of skins for the 1.8.* generation, but upgraded a bunch of them to the 1.9.* generation because a change made 1.8.* skins obsolete. Early reports indicate that 1.9.* skins work in 1.10, but it wouldn't be surprising to find out something is missing here or there.

One day something will change inside b2evolution that makes changing how skins work a requirement. When that happens your best bet is up upgrade your version and figure out what changes are needed to your skin.

12 May 11, 2007 03:25

Hey that's a cool post index! I think I'll give it a go and see how it works out. I wonder if anyone has given thought to showing stuff other than published posts in something like that, including statuses. So like I would see how many deprecated posts I have (lots), and other installations might see how many protected posts they have.

Kinda groovy.

I recycle post numbers is why I deprecate stuff. I figure why wait until Al Gore makes a movie about how we're running out of post IDs? Think global, act loco.

13 May 12, 2007 14:33

Yah it s cool post index... just add a .htaccess to clean up the URL (ie remove ?, =, etc.), and submit it to search engines, plus concentrate the SE-bots to that one page... voila. Search Engine ranking :p

I'll give this a spin :D

Form is loading...