Recent Topics

Related Posts and Thumbnails

Started by on Oct 20, 2007 – Contents updated: Oct 20, 2007

Oct 20, 2007 18:56    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.2

I request two plugins that WordPress offers: Related Post and Thumbnails.

It's necessary to have a Related Posts option to show users old posts about an item so the visitors could find more news about the topic, which would increase the visits.

Also thumbnails would be a good plugin, especially when you want to show more than a picture and you want them to be shown in their original size within the template (with sidebar, categories, menu and comments), like Wordpress.

Gallery plugin is good but it just opens the pictures and they are not implemented into templates. Comments and visits would be increased with this option and ads would receive more clicks.

So, since we have excellent developers and B2 is much better than WP :lol: , please, develop these plugins, don’t let them win!!! :>

Oct 21, 2007 04:47

I'd be very interested in a related posts plugin too, link thumbnails I honestly don't need or want though :)

Oct 23, 2007 00:46

For anyone interested Yabba has just released the first draft of a related post plugin.

He has posted it on his site...
http://www.waffleson.co.uk/2007/10/playing-with-relations

I have it installed on v.2.0.2 and for a first draft it's excellent.
An example post...
http://wow-factor.com/index.php/thanks-for-nothing-mr-jobs

It does rely on the Tag facility of v.2.x and works in stealth mode. It's effectiveness is in direct relationship to the quality of your tags :)

Oct 23, 2007 02:31

Does that mean it isn't designed to work in 1.10.2?

Oct 23, 2007 02:38

Does 1.10.2 have Tags? I don't think it does as built in tagging was introduced with v2. I could be wrong.
If it doesn't then this won't work.

Oct 23, 2007 02:50

I highly recommend you upgrade.
V2.0, while a tad daunting with customised skins, is more than worth the effort.

Oct 23, 2007 03:00

Not while it is still labeled beta. I have two sites with high traffic that I can't roll the dice on. Even once 2.0 is officially released, I'll have to check all my skins and plugins to see that I can still use them before upgrading.

Oct 23, 2007 03:52

Most of my plugins still do not support b2evo v2. And as the plugin api still changes I am not upgrading any of them. As back with b2evo v1, I jumped on board early, and most of my work became irrelevant in the end, or I had a lot more work to do because of it.

Nov 17, 2007 22:18

John wrote:

For anyone interested Yabba has just released the first draft of a related post plugin.

He has posted it on his site...
http://www.waffleson.co.uk/2007/10/playing-with-relations

I have it installed on v.2.0.2 and for a first draft it's excellent.
An example post...
http://wow-factor.com/index.php/thanks-for-nothing-mr-jobs

It does rely on the Tag facility of v.2.x and works in stealth mode. It's effectiveness is in direct relationship to the quality of your tags :)

tags are good but related posts is a needed plugin also.. which version are you using john ? i am using vegas 2.1 .. ive installed the plugin but did no good.. was i supposed to add any code or just install it ? i need a related posts plugin for 2.1 vegas

Nov 17, 2007 22:37

@tilqicom
I had it installed on the previous alpha release and it was still there and working when I went the the current beta release.

Just intall it as a normal plugin, when it appears in your list of installed plugins, click on it to customise it's settings which is pretty self obvious stuff.
I don't have it in a specific container on my site.

Nov 17, 2007 22:49

John wrote:

@tilqicom
I had it installed on the previous alpha release and it was still there and working when I went the the current beta release.

Just intall it as a normal plugin, when it appears in your list of installed plugins, click on it to customise it's settings which is pretty self obvious stuff.
I don't have it in a specific container on my site.

i ve took a look at the settings but couldnt find out what to configure to make it work.. can you tell me what you have configured in settings please

Nov 17, 2007 23:00

Ok, first...does AM related posts show up in your list of plugins?
If so, when you click on it do you go to the default settings form?

Block start: <div class="am_related_posts"> This is the html output before everything
Block end: </div> This is the html output after everything
Title: <h3>Posts that may or may not be related</h3> This is the title
List start:<ul> This is the html output before the list
List end: </ul> This is the html output after the list
Line start: <li> This is the html output before each line
Line end:</li> This is the html output after each line
Line title: Read this post This is the hover title for the links

You could/should go to your Tools tab -> Miscellaneous -> and click on "Delete pre-renderered item cache."

Other than that, the only other thing I did was a fiddle with the CSS a bit.

Nothing else was required, it just worked :)

Nov 17, 2007 23:04

John wrote:

Ok, first...does AM related posts show up in your list of plugins?
If so, when you click on it do you go to the default settings form?

Block start: <div class="am_related_posts"> This is the html output before everything
Block end: </div> This is the html output after everything
Title: <h3>Posts that may or may not be related</h3> This is the title
List start:<ul> This is the html output before the list
List end: </ul> This is the html output after the list
Line start: <li> This is the html output before each line
Line end:</li> This is the html output after each line
Line title: Read this post This is the hover title for the links

You could/should go to your Tools tab -> Miscellaneous -> and click on "Delete pre-renderered item cache."

Other than that, the only other thing I did was a fiddle with the CSS a bit.

Nothing else was required, it just worked :)

i can see the default settings form.. i ve changed nothing in it.. i ve ""Deleted pre-renderered item cache."..

may be if you could tell me the changes you have made in the css

Nov 17, 2007 23:10

Well, if it's still not working it may be because you havn't got enough posts that have Tags that can be read as Related Posts!!!

My CSS is as follows bit is not related to your issue, I think.

.am_related_posts {
margin: 36px 0 9px;
padding: 0;
}

.am_related_posts h3 {
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 90%;
color: #663;
}

.bText .am_related_posts ul {
font-size: 84%;
color: #999;
list-style-type: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0
}

Nov 17, 2007 23:15

yes that may be the reason :P as i am trying to gather needed modifications to make the structure ready before posting archives.. actually i have only 1 post :oops: .. thank you for your replies.. i will get back soon after adding more data.


Form is loading...

Build your own website! – This forum is powered by b2evolution CMS, a complete engine for your website.