Recent Topics

1 Nov 23, 2007 04:51    

My b2evolution Version: 2.1.0

Hi,
I dont know if I've overlooked it or not...but on the beta v. 2.1.0, I would like for users to have the ability to choose their skin.

First I can't find an option in the admin to enable that. Second, even when I try to preview a skin in the admin, it opens a window, but all I see is the default skin. So I can't even preview a skin.

Moreover, on my site, I have made the first page (index) to only show posts from category one (by adding the following to index.php...

param( 'cat', 'integer', 1 ); 

Is this the problem? I would like to find a way have this as well as be able to have the public switch skins. (This worked okay in previous versions of b2evo).

I've even tried choosing skins through the URL..
index.php?skin=skinname
But It doesn't change the skin.

Please advise! Thanks so much.

2 Nov 23, 2007 10:31

there is an option under dashboard<<users then click the edit button at the end of the row that includes your default member group..
you will see an option checkbox

Skins

Check to allow access to skin files.

if thats what you mean..

3 Nov 23, 2007 21:22

No...tried that. But no difference. Thanks anyway..

What I was hoping for is to have people switch between skins and have that be permanent (as seen in prev. versions of b2).

However, when I try to preview any skins through the url or admin, it takes me to my default...I cant preview a different skin (and then have it "stick" and be the default).

What's wrong...

4 Nov 23, 2007 21:28

You can only choose from the skins that are actually supported by the new 2.1 API. That means at this moment there are not many to choose from. The others will show in backoffice, but that doesn't automatically mean you can use them.

Good luck

5 Nov 23, 2007 22:24

afaik skin switching is a thing of the past, although you may or may not have some success with using "&tempskin=foo" ;)

¥

6 Nov 23, 2007 22:37

¥åßßå wrote:

afaik skin switching is a thing of the past, although you may or may not have some success with using "&tempskin=foo" ;)

¥

Yeah PUBLIC (visitors) skin switching is history, and yeah tempskin=foo works, assuming you have a skin named "foo" ...

I think Afwas is pretty close: old skins LOOK like they install but they don't work. When you install an old skin it'll say in red "No containers found in this skin!" at the top of the page, but the skin still shows up in the skins list for the blogs. Unfortunately when I select an old skin I don't get the default skin. Instead I get a big ugly error page.

eusnaur are you able to preview the asevo skin? That one never existed before, so it's a good test. If you can't preview that one see if the URL for the preview page contains "&tempskin=asevo", or what.

7 Nov 23, 2007 22:42

That's what I get for skim reading huh? :P

¥

8 Nov 23, 2007 23:11

Yes, the URL for the preview page contains "&tempskin=asevo", but it goes to default when I try to change it w/the skin name. I know these skins work for this version because I basically made them through the base code of the "custom" skin.

As for skins installing, they custom skin that I altered to make another one, works just fine--all containers are found.

Is skin switching really history..? There's no way I can do it?

thanks.

9 Nov 23, 2007 23:45

eusnaur wrote:

Yes, the URL for the preview page contains "&tempskin=asevo", but it goes to default when I try to change it w/the skin name. I know these skins work for this version because I basically made them through the base code of the "custom" skin.

As for skins installing, they custom skin that I altered to make another one, works just fine--all containers are found.

Is skin switching really history..? There's no way I can do it?

thanks.

First things first: PUBLIC skin switching is a thing of the past. Meaning visitors will never see "select a skin" again. BLOGGERS, or registered users, are supposed to be able to set a skin for a blog. They are also supposed to be able to select widgets and order them for a blog, but I'm sure all of it depends on permission levels - something I have not played with in 2.1 yet.

Okay so let's make sure we're talking apples and apples here. When I "preview" a skin I'm working on I see it open in a new tab, and it says "tempskin=myskin" in the URL. When I change the URL to say "tempskin=asevo" it shows me asevo skin. blech. When I change it to "tempskin=skin_doesnt_exist" I get an error page. I am not able to make my default skin show up by typing anything in the URL.

When I am on 'Blog Settings->skin' and click the image of the skin it selects the skin and takes me to the blog with the new skin. I have a green text box with (something like) "This skin has been changed (edit)".

My point here is to try to spell out real clear what I'm doing and what I'm seeing. At some point you are seeing your default skin. What skin is that by the way? The skin previously selected for that blog, or a specific skin no matter what skin is selected for your blog?

Also are you doing this as 'admin' (ID #1) or a registered blogger? If it's admin then you should have all your permissions. If not then maybe it's a permission thing?

10 Nov 24, 2007 02:24

PUBLIC skin switching is a thing of the past. Meaning visitors will never see "select a skin" again.

I understand..but just to make this even more clear-- if I wanted the public to be able to choose on v.2.1, there's no hack or way to do it, am I correct?

When I "preview" a skin I'm working on I see it open in a new tab, and it says "tempskin=myskin" in the URL.

Yes. It does. But then it redirects to my index.php?cat=1 (because I set in the stub file for only cat=1 to show up on the main page)--where it shows my default skin that I have chose for the blog. Not the temp. other skin I would like to preview.

When I change the URL to say "tempskin=asevo" it shows me asevo skin.

Again...no. It doesn't. It shows the default custom I've chosen for the blog.

When I change it to "tempskin=skin_doesnt_exist" I get an error page. I am not able to make my default skin show up by typing anything in the URL.

That's true. I do see an error that says the skin doesn't exist. And I'm not able to make anything show just by typing something in the URL.

.....any ideas?

Thanks again.

11 Nov 24, 2007 03:24

eusnaur wrote:

Yes. It does. But then it redirects to my index.php?cat=1 (because I set in the stub file for only cat=1 to show up on the main page)--where it shows my default skin that I have chose for the blog. Not the temp. other skin I would like to preview.

How about a link and the name of the skin you can't preview? Also what are the details of this hack? Cuz I'm thinking if the hack is causing a redirect then you're not going to see the tempskin. Also what happens if you add "&tempskin=foo" to the URL after the redirect?

12 Nov 24, 2007 04:51

How about a link and the name of the skin you can't preview? Also what are the details of this hack? Cuz I'm thinking if the hack is causing a redirect then you're not going to see the tempskin. Also what happens if you add "&tempskin=foo" to the URL after the redirect?

If I add that..it doesnt make a difference.

Here's the hack (sorta)..I add the following to index.php

// Check if a specific blog has been requested in the URL:
param( 'blog', 'integer', '', true );
param( 'cat', 'integer', 1 ); 

And a link to the site:

Thanks.

And can you please tell me if there's a hack or way to enable the public to switch skins? Pleeeeease....

13 Nov 24, 2007 06:20

Okay try taking that back out and seeing if the preview feature behaves normally. http://www.mihafa.com/index.php?p=31&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&tempskin=evopress was how I could make a skin stick. Everything that didn't specify a post defaulted to a blog, which redirected to a URL that ends in $cat=1.

BTW I wouldn't bet on visitors picking skins coming back. Though someone might one day make a plugin that'll do it, or a widget(!), it's not likely to be part of the core files again.

14 Nov 24, 2007 06:35

EdB wrote:

Okay try taking that back out and seeing if the preview feature behaves normally. http://www.mihafa.com/index.php?p=31&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&tempskin=evopress was how I could make a skin stick. Everything that didn't specify a post defaulted to a blog, which redirected to a URL that ends in $cat=1.

BTW I wouldn't bet on visitors picking skins coming back. Though someone might one day make a plugin that'll do it, or a widget(!), it's not likely to be part of the core files again.

Tried it, then the preview skin feature works. But I have to have only cat=1 on the front page.

Guess I'll have to live w/it. Thanks anyways.

Form is loading...