Recent Topics

1 Dec 10, 2007 13:09    

My b2evolution Version: 2.2.x

I ported a skin from Durpal/Wp to b2evo.
It was more a testcase for me to tryout 2.2 widgets and containers

Please, can some people test it before I release it to the public.
All comments welcome.

You can download the file here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/1n0mpl

2 Dec 10, 2007 13:37

I just did a quick install and , given that all my sidebar widget content is actually in a footer, I'm amazed at how well it handled everything.

Sweet skin. The Post Title treatment is excellent.

The Textarea for comments breaks out of it's bCommentForm div. ( ff 2.0.0.11 Mac)

I like the alternating comments colours.

3 Dec 10, 2007 13:46

John wrote:

The Textarea for comments breaks out of it's bCommentForm div. ( ff 2.0.0.11 Mac)

I knew there was something else to take care of, but I couldn't remember anymore what it was ;)

4 Dec 15, 2007 05:49

Do you have a screenshot of the skin? Is anybody running it right now?

5 Dec 15, 2007 06:01

I have it as a choice on my site (2.2.0)
I suggest you just download it and do a Preview . It's a nice skin.

6 Dec 15, 2007 06:40

I ran a quick preview. The skin tells me I'm missing:
_posts.disp.php

7 Dec 15, 2007 08:56

esanchez wrote:

I ran a quick preview. The skin tells me I'm missing:
_posts.disp.php

Same here. But, the screenshot looks fantastic.

8 Dec 15, 2007 09:42

I'm on 2.2.0 but have no such problem !!!

9 Dec 15, 2007 09:44

John wrote:

I'm on 2.2.0 but have no such problem !!!

Ah! I'm using 1.10x. I'll bet that's my issue.

10 Dec 15, 2007 09:45

Yes, this is a specific 2.2.0 skin

11 Dec 15, 2007 09:52

John wrote:

Yes, this is a specific 2.2.0 skin

Well, that's my web host; I can only install via Fantastico. I tried installing the latest b2Evo myself and it was an utter disaster. 8|

12 Dec 16, 2007 04:01

This is interesting. I thought the new version of b2evo Skins wasn't dependant on version #.

I'll install 2.2.0 on of these days.

13 Dec 16, 2007 04:18

2.2.0 is a very developed version over 2.1.0 and remember, they are all still "beta" :)

14 Dec 16, 2007 11:53

esanchez wrote:

This is interesting. I thought the new version of b2evo Skins wasn't dependant on version #.

Correct, but only 2.x and later...
Once a stable version of 2.x will be release, you will be able to continiously use your skin.

I made this skin to train myself, and to offer at least 1 more then the standard skins.

15 Dec 16, 2007 21:08

@Topanga

While waiting for your final release of this skin, I adapted the _item_feedback.inc.php and included it in skins->myskin folder to generate the alternate reply colours and reply numbering.

Works a treat though it still requires some more CSS work.
One thing I found was that to get Strict validation I had to reshuffle this bit... putting the anchor after the li id and not before.

<li id="comment-<?php $Comment->ID(); ?>" class="<?php echo $oddcomment; ?>"><?php $Comment->anchor() ?>

Example: http://wow-factor.com/index.php/the-new-liberal-leader#c1001

18 Dec 30, 2007 22:14

Topangar were you able to convert the alt styling for the new 2.3.0 rc release?
I notice it's very different code for _item_feedback

19 Dec 30, 2007 22:30

John, I'm affraid I don't have a clue what you mean.
For the moment the only problem that I see is that I have the word 'permalink' on the comments, instead of only the symbol.

But I must confess I haven't looked at it very close

20 Dec 30, 2007 22:33

I may have screwed up my attempt as I got errors with all the permalinks for comments.
I'll have another fiddle with it and see if I can make sense of the new version of _item_feedback.inc.php

Thanks for the reply

21 Jan 03, 2008 04:45

I like it. Though the _glossysearch.plugin.php gets an error about a variable "s" in line 83. Would it be possible to just tweak the existing Search Widget so it formats better in the skin? Something like your _glossysearch.plugin.php except with the radio buttons (all on one line of course).

So far that's the only bug I see. As for other things, they are just my personal preferences and will probably tweak them once you release it to the public. I think the sidebar should be a different color. Also, I prefer the main column to be wider, maybe 550 pixels or so.

I really like the recent stuff being in the footer, though shouldn't that be there as a widget? Hmmm ... just tried it, I guess that isn't technically the footer, eh?

22 Jan 03, 2008 10:05

MaxHedrm wrote:

I really like the recent stuff being in the footer, though shouldn't that be there as a widget? Hmmm ... just tried it, I guess that isn't technically the footer, eh?

It all depends on what you call the footer.

In Belgium recent development is that we put 'recent' stuff in that area..
But as soon as you change those lines 18-77 with, also that problem is solved. (At the time I made the skin, there was not yet a widget for recent posts and recent comments)

<?php // Display container and contents:
	skin_container( NT_('Footer'), array(
	// The following params will be used as defaults for widgets included in this container:
	'block_start' => '<div id="$wi_ID$" class="$wi_class$">',
	'block_end' => '</div>',
	) );
	?>	

MaxHedrm wrote:

the _glossysearch.plugin.php gets an error about a variable "s" in line 83.

The solution is to put

global $s

in that file, on for exemple line #25

MaxHedrm wrote:

Would it be possible to just tweak the existing Search Widget so it formats better in the skin? Something like your _glossysearch.plugin.php except with the radio buttons (all on one line of course).

That is exactly what I did with my _glossysearch.plugin.php. Just tweak the default search.

Since nobody can find errors in it, and I'm very busy with my own altered glossy skin, This skin will just remain like it is.
For 2.3 there are a few things that have changed in the core
The comment display is a victim of it.

So in file _item_feedback.inc.php on line 172 change this

$Comment->permanent_link( '§ ' );

with this

$Comment->permanent_link( array(
	'before'    => '',
	'after'     => ' ',
	'text' => '§ ',
	'nofollow' => true,
	) );

23 Jan 03, 2008 16:19

This looks really good, Topanga. Are you going to submit it to skins.b2evolution.net?

24 Jan 03, 2008 18:24

Thanks! I incorporated your changes, and once I got past weird invisible characters that I copied & pasted in to the php somehow, it mostly works.

The only thing I'm having problems with is getting the footer widgets to go where I want them. I specified footer-recent-posts and footer-recent-comments for the CSS-Class in the Widget settings, but it seems to be ignoring that. I also played with those chunks of the style.css. No matter what I change, they remain stacked, rather than side by side.

http://maxhedrm.montebellopark.com/blog/index.php?tempskin=glossyblue

25 Jan 03, 2008 19:02

Your html shows this

<div Êclass="widget_core_coll_post_list footer-recent-posts" id="widget_core_coll_post_list_104">

You might like to check the html for the footer container in your skin.

Also, you might like to run your blog through the validator as you have a few errors.

¥

26 Jan 03, 2008 19:10

*ARGH*

I thought I found all of the "Ê" characters that showed up when I pasted his code in. I hate it when I miss the obvious. Thanks!

28 Jan 03, 2008 19:32

Can you recommend a better validator than validator.w3.org ? It can't seem to count which makes it tough to track down the errors it's telling me about. Also it looks like all the errors are coming from Topanga's skin or b2evo stuff. I guess I'll have more work than I thought when I go to widen it. :(

29 Jan 03, 2008 19:34

Web Developer or Bugzilla plugin for FireFox. But they all have the count problem. Must be difficult to handle ;)

32 Jan 04, 2008 07:38

When I try to install glossy search plugin I got this message:

Plugins available for installation
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CLASS, expecting ',' or ';' in /www/dodlane/plugins/_glossysearch.plugin.php on line 34

How to solve this plz?

33 Jan 04, 2008 10:08

@Sean.cz
What version of b2 are you using?

34 Jan 04, 2008 16:10

John wrote:

@Sean.cz
What version of b2 are you using?

b2evolution 2.3.0-rc1
but same result was on 2.2.0.

35 Jan 05, 2008 07:57

Is there a way to get a 3-column version of this skin? The color and font scheme is really nice.

36 Jan 05, 2008 09:20

esanchez wrote:

Is there a way to get a 3-column version of this skin? The color and font scheme is really nice.

I don't think it would be too difficult. Just add the Sidebar 2 container in so it shows on the left, using the "wide" version. Then narrow the content container appropriately.

37 Jan 13, 2008 00:39

I have several issues with this template:

1) Search Buttons in IE7 render ugly for all buttons except the Search one which looks as it should.
2) On the Widgets area I can't use some widgets because the template doesn't include them (or accept them):

Menu [NOT INCLUDED IN SELECTED SKIN!]

Blog home link
Page list
Contacto (Blog owner contact form link)
Blog home link (Log in form link)

3) I can't make the Democracy Poll and Star Rating plugins work (may not be related to the template).
4) When moving the glossy plugin as instructed and trying to install I get an unexpected error.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CLASS, expecting ',' or ';' in /.../plugins/_glossysearch.plugin.php on line 34

I'm using version 2.3.0 RC

38 Jan 13, 2008 00:44

MaxHedrm:

I want to do what you have done in your main menu, that is, include a Link to a Contact Form, to an About Page and maybe other pages (not blogs). How did you do it?

39 Jan 13, 2008 00:49

I forgot! How can I make a print only page for this template? I see there is a print.css

40 Jan 13, 2008 01:03

gcasanova wrote:

1) Search Buttons in IE7 render ugly for all buttons except the Search one which looks as it should.

Correct. I have never tested something that looks ugly.
gcasanova wrote:

2) On the Widgets area I can't use some widgets because the template doesn't include them (or accept them):

Correct. There is no container menu.
gcasanova wrote:

4) When moving the glossy plugin as instructed and trying to install I get an unexpected error.

I made this skin when 2.2 was out... So perhaps something changed in 2.3.

This was an exercise for me. I never had the purpose of delivering a complete skin.
That's also why I donated the work 'as is'... becaue I know it's not 100% complete.

41 Jan 13, 2008 01:30

I'll try to add the menu to the "narrow" version & upload it someplace with all the bug fixes that I incorporated.

42 Jan 13, 2008 01:30

Thanks Topanga for donating your effort here; its a great Template and your site is beatiful.

The error I'm getting is:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CLASS, expecting ',' or ';' in /.../plugins/_glossysearch.plugin.php on line 34

Also, how do I include containers missing?
Sorry if I'm asking basic and stupid questions but version 2.3.0 RC is new and very surprising to me.

43 Jan 13, 2008 01:36

MaxHedrm wrote:

I'll try to add the menu to the "narrow" version & upload it someplace with all the bug fixes that I incorporated.

Max, I depute the skin to you/your name if you want to.
For me the exersise is finished. I learned a lot with it.
If you want to take care of the future of this baby, be my guest!

44 Jan 13, 2008 01:43

Heheh ... I'm not sure I'm worthy of the responsibility, but I'll give it a try. ;)

45 Jan 13, 2008 02:07

Thanks Topanga.

MaxHedrm, I hope you are able to help me with the above issues.
This Template is great and deserves all the work that can be done to it.

46 Jan 14, 2008 18:45

To cure the parser errors, remove "global $s" on lines 25 and 50 and add $s to line 74 :

global $Blog, $s;

¥

51 Feb 02, 2008 03:41

Is there a way to make this skin centered, instead of on the left?

Is there a way to make it variable width?

52 Feb 02, 2008 03:56

is is a centered skin
and it is a fixed width skin.
Offcourse you can play with it, but fixed sins and variable width skins are a different approche

53 Feb 02, 2008 04:01

Ah, I must have made non centered for my Beach Boys site. I'll download a new copy of it and compare.

54 Feb 02, 2008 04:04

cslepage wrote:

By centered, do you mean 3 column so the content is centered between 2 other columns?

55 Feb 02, 2008 04:20

I would love to get a 3-column version of Max' skin :=)

56 Feb 02, 2008 04:23

That's on my list. :) Maybe I'll get a chance to get some of that done this weekend.

57 Feb 02, 2008 05:27

MaxHedrm wrote:

cslepage wrote:

By centered, do you mean 3 column so the content is centered between 2 other columns?

No, I mean instead of having the web site appear on the left side of the browser, it would appear in the middle. It's been pointed out that Glossy Blue DOES appear in the center, and I was the one who customized it to the left.

58 Feb 02, 2008 06:02

The skin simply needs a wrapper, of a fixed width with margin: #px auto;

Simply copy the wrapper from maxhedrm's skin..... it's called #paged.....

#page {
	margin: 0px auto;
	width: 860px;
	border-bottom: 5px solid #d5e6eb;
	border-left: 5px solid #d5e6eb;
	border-right: 5px solid #d5e6eb;
	background: #FFFFFF url(images/content-bg.gif) repeat-y;
}

60 Feb 02, 2008 06:23

Good one, however it seems as though you have two wrappers for that skin
You have one called skin_wrapper_anonymous , plus the #paged one. You only need one

You will also need to either increase the fixed width of #paged or decrease the width of your Google adds. They overlap your sidebar (Firefox on OSX)

Form is loading...