Recent Topics

1 Jan 12, 2008 03:58    

I would give my right... for this feature. I finally have a phone that can take decent photos but I don't want to have to transfer them to a computer to upload them and then upload them to my blog. I think this is the million dollar feature. Once I can make a post via email with photos world peace will break out. Please develop this feature. I'm tired of waiting and waiting.

2 Jan 17, 2008 16:02

Whirled peas breaking out is a good thing?

Yes this would be GREAT! Very hard to do because somehow b2evolution would have to figure out how to extract the image from the email then store it in the correct place then put it in the post the rest of the text went in to, but yeah it would be neat.

3 Jan 17, 2008 18:42

well, it's not the solution I was looking for BUT it proves to be much better. SWITCHED TO WORDPRESS. They have a Postie plugin that is amazing. Blogging by email never seemed so easy. And customizing the backend files is a dream compared to B2. Sorry b2 but I've found another lover.

4 Jan 17, 2008 18:50

Good for you! Hopefully WP serves your needs the way this app here has served mine. :D

5 Jan 17, 2008 18:54

I know B2 has been my love child for so many projects. I've dissected and rebuilt it a dozen times for my self and others. I've resisted trying any other blog because it treated me so well. BUT the email with photos was the straw that broke the camels back. Maybe someone over here at b2 can look at the wordpress plugin and port it to b2. Good luck.

6 Apr 12, 2008 13:17

Hi,

Photoblog by email is a thing I also want. So yesterday I started to look at the getmail script.

I had to fix some issues, because I wanted to use the more modern imap api included with PHP. But now it's in a state it can read the mails and detect attachments.

Maybe someone could suggest what is the best way to a) store the attachment and b) how to create the actual post with the attachment.

The API used in the script lacks functionality to attach files to posts. But I saw other APIs which could do the trick. Some recommendations here?

I don't think that looking at a wordpress plugin is a big help, as the basic functionality is already working. The missing steps are specific to b2evo.

Stephan

7 Apr 13, 2008 12:48

OK, I got it running. I have a getmail.php that reads emails and posts it to a given category.
If the email has one or more images attached these get saved in the media directory and a img-tag is created in the post.

This works well for me. In combination with thumbnail and lightbox a nice feature.

In case someone wants to try this very alpha that could corrupt all your data, (backup before use ;)) please feel free to contact me by PM.

Still missing:
- Handling of messages that have messages with attachments attached
- code cleanup
- some tests

Stephan

8 Apr 13, 2008 17:57

Stephan, I will handle on the missing b2evo steps when you have the IMAP & attachments part all sorted out.

Can you explain what issues you have with the IMAP library?

Thanks.

9 Apr 13, 2008 20:51

Salut Francois,

I think I solved all major issues already. EdB volunteered to risk his bog and give it a try.

After another iteration of bugfixing/code cleanup the file should be in a state I'm not too ashamed to show it to others :oops:

Please provide me with a contact address to send you the modification. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Stephan

11 May 01, 2008 10:48

Hi,
I have also been hoping for this feature to be available and the discussion above sounds promising.

However, I think there would be another problem as well. I would like to use my cellphone to post and the easiest way of doing that after shooting a pic is to send it a an MMS to an e-mail address. Now, different MMSC's supports different photo sizes and I assume different cellphones deals with this differently. My phone (SonyEricsson P1i) scales the picture down somewhat (I haven't checked how much) - the camera is a 3 Mpix so if I send it as an e-mail instead of MMS to e-mail it will in fact send the whole 3 Mpix picture. That would be far to big for the blog to view so some downscaling would have to happen.

Any chance for b2evo to include a functionality for that?
/Lars

12 May 01, 2008 14:41

Hi Lars,

the Mail2Blog functionality is already working. At least for me. Currently I'm on vacation and do a photo-blog about my tour this way.

I use my K800i to send emails to my account. That phone also has a 3mpix camera but is able to resize the images before sending them to a handy 640x480.

I thought about adding a resize functionality to the script. Technically this is no problem. BUT: You would send 3mpix to throw away most of them.
Not in every country you have a cheap data plan or fast UMTS.

I think the better approach would be a java application running on the phone and handling the resizing offline before sending.

In my blog I use the auto-thumbnail plugin together with lightbox. So the blog contains clickable preview images that will be shown in a bigger size.

I will submit my changes just after I return.

Stephan

13 May 01, 2008 16:13

Hi Stephan,
I will cehck what my phone can do - would be nice to see how it works on your blog - could you please send the link?
/Lars

14 May 17, 2008 15:09

Hi!

You can do it with flickr! You config a email to post pic in your blog(b2evolution) and make the config in your flickr. This worl for me!

[]'s

marcfolio1 wrote:

I would give my right... for this feature. I finally have a phone that can take decent photos but I don't want to have to transfer them to a computer to upload them and then upload them to my blog. I think this is the million dollar feature. Once I can make a post via email with photos world peace will break out. Please develop this feature. I'm tired of waiting and waiting.

15 Jun 02, 2008 07:52

I returned from my vacation, but need some time to catch up with the work they keep at the office for me.

I promise to publish my script this week as it worked well (at least for me).
I will also write some more details about the plugins I used to make the experience even better.

Stephan

16 Jun 08, 2008 17:54

Hi,

I did a commit to cvs of a rework of the getmail.php script to cvs. If you want to give it a try get the latest revision and replace your existing file. Don't forget to backup first.
You'll also need mime_parser.php and rfc822_addresses.php.

Everything can be found here:
http://evocms.cvs.sourceforge.net/evocms/b2evolution/blogs/cron/

I have tested it to work with a 2.4.1/2.4.2 release and also with the upcoming 2.5.0.

In the main configuration select "POP3 trough imap extension". You need to install php_imap in case your server doesn't have it by default.
I suggest to turn on "test mode" in combination with the "Perform Server Test" links. This way no data will be changed on your server.

Once you're satisfied with the result activate a cron job on your server to periodically call getmail.php.

Have Fun!

Stephan

Form is loading...